1 2 > 
1 of 2
Assembling spinnerbaits
Posted: 13 December 2013 12:13 PM
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2102
Joined  2008-04-08

Started assembling my own spinnerbaits.  I’m not pouring lead or painting – just putting the parts together.  Made a couple good purchases from Lure Parts Online and started assembling.  So far the biggest problem I’ve had is getting the loop closed.  Can’t wait to try these out.

The bodies:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/flymantex/SDC10060_zpsa4a09f87.jpg

Waiting for a skirt:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/flymantex/SDC10062_zps1fc17375.jpg

First one done:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/flymantex/SDC10063_zps5614656f.jpg

Wide Willow:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/flymantex/SDC10065_zps24e22078.jpg

Chart/White – Heather likes this one:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/flymantex/SDC10064_zps198b9b66.jpg

My favorite:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/flymantex/SDC10061_zpsac698c1f.jpg

Signature 

My wife is my favorite fishing partner.

Posted: 13 December 2013 03:04 PM   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

They look great!

Are you using round nose pliers to make the loop? If not I would suggest them, and then overlap your tag over the frame wire if that makes sense.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 13 December 2013 03:43 PM   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2102
Joined  2008-04-08

I am using round nose pliers.  The first pair was a cheap Walmart pair- they didn’t work we’ll at all.  I then got a jewelry grade set - they work great.  I’ve had a couple good loop closures, just can’t get it as easy as the video from Lure Parts online make it look.

Signature 

My wife is my favorite fishing partner.

Posted: 13 December 2013 07:09 PM   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28
Flymantex - 13 December 2013 03:43 PM

I am using round nose pliers.  The first pair was a cheap Walmart pair- they didn’t work we’ll at all.  I then got a jewelry grade set - they work great.  I’ve had a couple good loop closures, just can’t get it as easy as the video from Lure Parts online make it look.

Good for you flyman! They look great. I’ve been making my own spinnerbaits for a couple of years. Once you get the parts together, its a matter of your own imagination what you want to do with color combos, blades sizes and styles etc….. i’ve been experimenting with a lot of 3 and 4 bladed SB’s and also Diamond blades, i see you like the fluted style blade. becareful not to over power the head with the lift from the blades or it will come back sideways. i tend to go smaller with the blade sizes for 2 reasons, i can burn it and no rollover and the forage in the ponds i fish is generally small. make sure you match the bead sizes if you are using them, spacers are better and easier. some of what i have made work really well, others not so much but its fun to experiment. GL!!!! May your SB run straight and true.

A good needle nose works fine for me, i still buy factory SB’s when i see something new i like but i spend about half as much as i used to. i still have over 100 factory SB.

Signature 

Posted: 14 December 2013 05:45 PM   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3416
Joined  2008-11-12

Those look great Flymantex!

If you are wanting some custom skirt colors, I have a few colors that I have made up that I bet you would love on those spinnerbaits!

Signature 

Does sleeping with the fishes equate to basstiality? LOL LOL LOL

Posted: 14 December 2013 08:59 PM   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  2009-03-08

Those look pretty good! There are so many good colors to choose from these days. I bought a small pair of snap on needle nose. I’m really a Klein and Craftsman guy, but sometimes I go extra for a special tool. Do you have any water to test them out on or do you have to wait for spring?

Posted: 14 December 2013 11:16 PM   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04

Good work! They should put some fish in the boat for sure.

Signature 

Posted: 15 December 2013 12:34 AM   [ # 7 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

RR when i make spinnerbaits, i’ll take 5 to 10 with me and try them out in the clear ponds i fish, i can see them coming all the way. i tune them if they need it and tie another one on. And just repeat till i go through them all. I don’t know if flyman has a place in the winter to try his out, maybe down there, there is still open water, for me, i just wait till ice out, all i can do.

I’ll build a dozen or so for the upcpming year, 4 each in 3/8. 1/2 and 3/4 to start, different blades and colors. soon as ice out i’ll throw them and get them ready for pre spawn action and at ice out i’ll be throwing a lipless and a squarebill along with 3/8 or 1/2 SB. i’m going to try them out to start on a spinning rod with some fluoro, see if the fluoro makes any difference. i know last year the bite was non existent for me until the water got over 45 degrees. caught 1 the first day and then a bunch after it got over 45 degrees.

Signature 

Posted: 16 December 2013 07:24 PM   [ # 8 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1060
Joined  2009-04-24

they look great!! i like the colors. you guys must have dirty or stained water to use the colorado blades. I only use willow down here. The Big O has wild gold shinners so I use lg gold willow where as the everglades has silver shad minnos so I use silver willow. I love spinnerbait fishing. BH

Posted: 17 December 2013 08:33 AM   [ # 9 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
Buckethead Lure - 16 December 2013 07:24 PM

they look great!! i like the colors. you guys must have dirty or stained water to use the colorado blades. I only use willow down here. The Big O has wild gold shinners so I use lg gold willow where as the everglades has silver shad minnos so I use silver willow. I love spinnerbait fishing. BH

Yea, i love spinnerbaits also, tell me when the spinnerbait is hot or the frog or other topwater and i’ll try do my best to get down there. the techniques i am just terrible at is flipping and pitching. those techniques are not really in play where i fish from the bank. i’ve only caught one bass, a nice one, on a jig. i don’t want to waste my fishing time fumble farting around using a technique i have never done and can’t do. Where I fish is all clear water and i use primarily willow leaf and some indiana. if i have 3 or 4 blades i will throw a gold blade or 2 in there.

Signature 

Posted: 18 December 2013 05:35 AM   [ # 10 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-24

top water is always hot down here early mornings and sunsets. If the wind is blowing and the sun is out spinnerbait is in my hand year around. BH

Posted: 27 January 2014 02:32 AM   [ # 11 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

here are some spinnerbaits i have made recently. the one with the bluegill skirt i just changed out the blades. Can’t wait to get out and try these but it’s colder than a well diggers butt right now, lol. 1:30 am and i’m messing with spinnerbaits.

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g385/CincySid/100_0403_zps6f3549d5.jpg

A few more AND I’ll be set for a while. when one is unusable i take off what i can re-use and throw the rest away. i hope i don’t catch anymore pike, they bend up a spinnerbait all out of shape, lol, but its ok, i’ll sacrifice one for the fun of catching them.

Signature 

Posted: 27 January 2014 07:23 PM   [ # 12 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-24

i like them, good job. i use spinnerbaits alot. if you ever need me to test any just let me know. lol BH

Posted: 28 January 2014 02:50 PM   [ # 13 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
Buckethead Lure - 27 January 2014 07:23 PM

i like them, good job. i use spinnerbaits alot. if you ever need me to test any just let me know. lol BH

Send me a pm and we can work something out. i can make you a few.

Signature 

Posted: 28 January 2014 08:11 PM   [ # 14 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-24

i appreciate that but it’s not necessary. Just bring some when you come down for a fishing trip of a life time. BH

Posted: 28 January 2014 09:43 PM   [ # 15 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

made 5 more today, came out really good, i should be pretty much set for a while. need to make a few 3/4 ozers though. i definitely want to come down, but my bank account says no right now, lol.  all i use is willow blades, all the ponds i fish are clear water. i change the color of blades depending on if there is cloud cover or not. when sunny and no wind, i fish something else, they just won’t hit a spinnerbait, god knows i have tried.

Signature 

1 2 > 
1 of 2

‹‹ Spinnerbaits      Larry Dahlberg ››