Major League Fishing Hubbard, Long and Grand
Posted: 04 March 2014 10:33 AM
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  496
Joined  2012-01-17

It was kind of fun watching them fish my favorite northern lakes.  The Smallies in my pic were caught at Long lake.  I also had identical limits from Grand and Hubbard lakes.  I know they only had a half hour to look around the lake in practice but was really surprised when (at least not on camera) that no one was fishing my primary honey shoal.  Shaw was on the 3rd spot in my milk run of fun on Grand lake.  Kevin started out where I usually end my tournament day.  It’s always fun watching them fish bodies of water you fish every year.  Not sure how well I’d do with that format.  Knowing when guys are catching fish and how big they are would challenge to any tournament fisherman’s brain.

Signature 

“May you catch all the fish you’ve told me about.”

Posted: 04 March 2014 05:19 PM   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28

yea, it was fun to watch. They only have 15 minutes to look around. with that format, they have to find fish or areas that they think there are fish and go with that. Even though KVD never fished any of those lakes before, all his experience fishing in the area really helped in out. he knew what habitat to look for that would hold fish with those water and weather conditions. it gave him a big advantage, like Bobby Lane and Shaw had in florida.

It was so impressive what KVD did. The man is truly amazing. After about an hour of each round, everyone he was fishing against knew they was fishing for 2nd. It was total domination for KVD. I look for him to have a good year in the elites this year, i think the fire is back since he hasn’t won on the elites since his last BMC win. Ehler is also impressive. he will never be considered in the class kvd is until he switches over to the Elites and win tourneys like kvd has.

Signature 

Posted: 05 March 2014 06:51 AM   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-17
CincySid - 04 March 2014 05:19 PM

yea, it was fun to watch. They only have 15 minutes to look around. with that format, they have to find fish or areas that they think there are fish and go with that. Even though KVD never fished any of those lakes before, all his experience fishing in the area really helped in out. he knew what habitat to look for that would hold fish with those water and weather conditions. it gave him a big advantage, like Bobby Lane and Shaw had in florida.

It was so impressive what KVD did. The man is truly amazing. After about an hour of each round, everyone he was fishing against knew they was fishing for 2nd. It was total domination for KVD. I look for him to have a good year in the elites this year, i think the fire is back since he hasn’t won on the elites since his last BMC win. Ehler is also impressive. he will never be considered in the class kvd is until he switches over to the Elites and win tourneys like kvd has.

I agree Cincy, Ehler is definitely no slouch.  I was not impressed when Lane broke his rod over his knee though.  That’s what I was talking about getting into your head.  Somehow you have to keep your witts about you.  Not sure I could either.

Signature 

Posted: 05 March 2014 09:30 AM   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

yea, but it wasn’t until time was up. i guess when you get free stuff you can do things like that, lol. i think Bobby fishes all ABU Garcia rods and reels. Ish has a tendency to throw some outfits in the water and Ike has been known to bust stuff up. Me, i can’t afford or want to do something like that. I have lost my share of good fish but never had a thought of breaking rods or throwing it in. I have enough problems throwing lures in after a snap off.

I think they need to bring a new batch of fishermen in against KVD and Ehler. Some have never even gotten out of the first round, like Velvick. i don’t know what criteria they use to rank the anglers but some don’t deserve to be fishing on MLF anymore. they need to give some new blood a shot. JVD, Palaniuk, Tharp. or maybe bring some old timers in to fish, Roland, Bill, Jimmy, Hank. Something to spice it up a little. the one that kvd didn’t fish in was boring to me and that was the one where everyone was flipping docks and Denny won. i want to see them fish a big fish lake, Big O, Falcon, Guntersville, or Erie. its fun though.

Signature 

Posted: 05 March 2014 02:41 PM   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1060
Joined  2009-04-24

i hear ya Cin, if i broke a rod every time I lost a fish?? lol i wouldn’t have any left. They treat their boats the same way. HARD!!!!!!!  BH

Posted: 05 March 2014 05:01 PM   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

i guess its better to get it out of your system and move on. if busting something up does it, then i guess its for the better for them. At least Bobby saved the reel, lol.

Signature 

Posted: 06 March 2014 04:07 PM   [ # 6 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-24

i say make them pay for their gear and I bet they stop breaking it. i know there is a lot of money on the line however the kids are watching them act this way and think it’s ok to throw a tantrum. BH

Posted: 06 March 2014 05:19 PM   [ # 7 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

i agree, although i would have to be in his shoes under that pressure to say i wouldn’t do the same. the kids see and hear worse on video games and TV.

Signature 

Posted: 06 March 2014 08:01 PM   [ # 8 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-24

yea those are videos and tv. these guys are pros and should act one. the kids see enough crap. like i said, make them buy their own gear and i bet they would respect it. BH

Posted: 27 October 2014 08:54 PM   [ # 9 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

I’ve watched and re-watched the MLF Alpena. KVD got a lot of penalties for fish falling on the carpet but for what I seen, he should have got a few more for releasing fish. He gets the fish off the hook, weighed and released so much quicker than anyone else does, the refs can’t see it, it has to give him at least 50 more cast than anyone else for being so efficient handling the fish.

For some of the pros, their trying to land smallmouth was atrocious.

I would love to fish those lakes for smallmouth, never caught one, hooked some but lost them, its why I went to Dale Hollow and that fiasco happened. its still a bucket list item.  I Should have hired a guide for up there instead.

Signature 

Posted: 30 October 2014 08:00 AM   [ # 10 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-17

Well Cin come on over and I’ll take you to one of them.  The fish in my picture came from Long Lake.  Our club has been fishing those lakes for 15 years.  But now that MLF has aired there everyone has been fishing them.  We fished Long and Grand last September and noticed a significant decline in the amount of fish caught and many more bass boats.  Oh well, we had them to ourselves for 14 years… wink

Signature 

Posted: 31 October 2014 01:21 PM   [ # 11 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

thanks for the invite. I’ll keep that in mind! With the amount and size they were catching, I bet the boat ramps were crowded after the shows aired, don’t worry, it will calm down again and you’ll have the lakes to yourself again. I wondered why the lakes were not more crowded with bass boats on the MLF shows. Which Lake is your Favorite?

Signature 

Posted: 31 October 2014 07:23 PM   [ # 12 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-17

Man that’s a toughie..  They are all phenomenal.  If I had to choose one I would probably pick Hubbard which has deeper water, much more structure and slightly bigger fish.  A great drop shot and tube lake.  Grand and Long are shallower and more conducive to crank baits, spinner baits and top water.  On another note, I have several other sleeper lakes up there the MLF show hasn’t found yet with allot of giant smallies in them. 

Signature 

Posted: 01 November 2014 01:36 AM   [ # 13 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

spinnerbaits and cranks are my bread and butter. yes, I noticed about everyone was catching some 4 and 5 lbers on Hubbard. Is it the clearest lake since it is deeper? Sounds like I got to come up there to cross smallies off my bucket list.

Signature