This Year’s New List
Posted: 11 May 2014 10:26 AM
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1335
Joined  2008-04-06

Well….fishing season is finally here in the north woods !!!!    ** Indicates a new lake I’ve never fished before

Each year at this time I jot down the lakes I intend to fish.  Here is my 2014 list:

1) Lake of the Woods in Northern Ontario Canada (June 16-23)

2) Rough Rock Lake (Ontario Canada)  **  (July 7-12)

3) Chequamegan Bay WI (multiple times)

4) Green Lake , Spicer MN  

5) Rainy Lake MN. (of course !!)

.......and hopefully several others.

Let’s hear your list.

Signature 

“Is this Heaven ?....no it’s Minnesota.  That’s funny, I could have sworn it was Heaven”

Posted: 11 May 2014 10:42 AM   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28

1. Silver Lake, 28 acres
2. White Pond, 8 acres
3. Sand Beach next to White Pond 3 acres
4. Herrick Lake, 12 acres
5. Hidden Lake 15 acres

All multiple times and all are within 7 miles of me.

Signature 

Posted: 12 May 2014 09:45 AM   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-06
CincySid - 11 May 2014 10:42 AM

1. Silver Lake, 28 acres
2. White Pond, 8 acres
3. Sand Beach next to White Pond 3 acres
4. Herrick Lake, 12 acres
5. Hidden Lake 15 acres

All multiple times and all are within 7 miles of me.

Back in 1974 I tipped over in a canoe (with 2 buddies) at Herrick’s Lake !!  My one pal’s shoes are still at the bottom right where it feeds into the little narrow that is just west of the main lake.  I didn’t think fish were able to live in that lake these days.

Signature 

“Is this Heaven ?....no it’s Minnesota.  That’s funny, I could have sworn it was Heaven”

Posted: 13 May 2014 01:03 AM   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

yea, all the leaves that fall in the lake in the fall keeps it mucky and tannic. Plus a mud bottom. I caught my personal best out of that lake. The Avatar pictured here of me holding the bass was caught at Herrick, my second biggest bass. yes i know where he fell in up to his knees? maybe a little deeper if he was in the channel. he’s lucky to get out alive, with years and years of muck built up.

that is the lake that had the big fish kill from the hard winter because it is so shallow. i heard they were supposed to restock it but don’t hold your breath. Only fish i have caught out of there the last couple years have been dinks. the water is actually clear, it doesn’t look it but you are seeing the black bottom. it weeds up to the point it is almost unfishable in the summer except maybe a frog or another topwater. i hope they restock it, i have caught a lot of fish out that pond.

Signature 

Posted: 13 May 2014 08:23 AM   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2102
Joined  2008-04-08

In no particular order:

Lake Murphysboro - already fished
Ramsey Lake - already fished
Pinckneyville City Lake - already fished
Peabody Strip Pits - already fished
Mascoutah Town Pond - already fished
Baldwin Lake - already fished
Stephen Forbes
Kinkaid
Sam Dale

Signature 

My wife is my favorite fishing partner.

Posted: 13 May 2014 09:02 PM   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04

Lake Hartwell, Ga - March
Guntersville - all year
Ky Lake - all year
Pickwick - June
Chickamaunga - June
NH Lakes - November

Signature 

Posted: 13 May 2014 10:01 PM   [ # 6 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
twitch - 13 May 2014 09:02 PM

Guntersville - all year
Ky Lake - all year
Pickwick - June
Chickamaunga - June
NH Lakes - November

How is your brother doing with the FLW?

Signature 

Posted: 26 May 2014 11:05 PM   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-04
CincySid - 13 May 2014 10:01 PM
twitch - 13 May 2014 09:02 PM

Guntersville - all year
Ky Lake - all year
Pickwick - June
Chickamaunga - June
NH Lakes - November

How is your brother doing with the FLW?

Not good. He is having a hard time getting his fish he found in practice to bite. Its been an off year due to the prolonged winter. Normal patterns are a few weeks behind. Hopefully I can help him out with Pickwick and Ky Lake.

Signature 

Posted: 27 May 2014 04:50 PM   [ # 8 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

he’ll figure it out with your help. Tell him good luck, i’m rooting for him! Is his name R.C.?  the winter has messed up the fishing up here for sure. did manage to catch a couple of nice ones, no monsters but good keeper 15+ inch fish. There are days i’ll go fishing and i’m the only one there fishing which is good, but i think the fish kill because of the shallow ponds and the cold, long winter is bad. the ones I’ve caught have hit like a freight train.

Signature 

Posted: 28 May 2014 02:29 AM   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-04
CincySid - 27 May 2014 04:50 PM

he’ll figure it out with your help. Tell him good luck, i’m rooting for him! Is his name R.C.?  the winter has messed up the fishing up here for sure. did manage to catch a couple of nice ones, no monsters but good keeper 15+ inch fish. There are days i’ll go fishing and i’m the only one there fishing which is good, but i think the fish kill because of the shallow ponds and the cold, long winter is bad. the ones I’ve caught have hit like a freight train.

Yea, he goes by RC.
I know what you mean, saw a few shad kills around here. Makes the fishing really tough.

Signature 

Posted: 28 May 2014 11:48 AM   [ # 10 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

Ok, i was looking at the FLW results on a few tourneys and all i saw was RC and your last name so figured it was him.

One pond i have always caught a lot of fish in for the last 5 years, i haven’t even gotten bite or seen a bass. I saw a bunch of carp spawning but i didn’t see any bass or bluegill for that matter on any beds. i got a feeling its going to be a down year as far as the number of bass i catch. which isn’t all bad, it will make me fish different techniques instead of just the few i normally do. the limited amount of bass in these ponds got to be down, it may take 2 or 3 good spawn years to get the populations back to normal, i hope. A little stocking could help a lot also.

Signature 

Posted: 28 May 2014 11:49 AM   [ # 11 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
AAav8or - 11 May 2014 10:26 AM

Well….fishing season is finally here in the north woods !!!!    ** Indicates a new lake I’ve never fished before

Each year at this time I jot down the lakes I intend to fish.  Here is my 2014 list:

1) Lake of the Woods in Northern Ontario Canada (June 16-23)

2) Rough Rock Lake (Ontario Canada)  **  (July 7-12)

3) Chequamegan Bay WI (multiple times)

4) Green Lake , Spicer MN  

5) Rainy Lake MN. (of course !!)

.......and hopefully several others.

Let’s hear your list.

Have you ever fished Rice Lake or the Trent River in Ontario?

Signature 

Posted: 02 June 2015 09:49 AM   [ # 12 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-06

No…Cannot say I have.  I have fished a lot of NW Ontario but not those.  My main spots are Lake of the Woods, Rainy (Canadian side) , Eagle Lake, Red lake, Rough Rock Lake, Cliff Lake, and Lac Seul.  I mix in some smaller ones now and again, but these are my bread and butter.  Great fishing all, but nothing tops Lake of the Woods.  Still the BEST all around freshwater fishery you can drive to in North America…....hands down.

Signature 

Posted: 02 June 2015 08:17 PM   [ # 13 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

Be nice to fish a lake that actually had fish, I fish crystal clear, shallow ponds and I haven’t seen one bed this year. not good for the fish population, any species.

Signature