1 of 2
Which line for spinnerbaits?
Posted: 16 March 2007 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]
Shad
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2007-03-05

Kevin, which type of line do you prefer when fishing spinnerbaits? I know a lot of guys are swiching to flurocarbon for everything.
Just wondering which you prefer and why.
Thanks for your time.
Nate

Posted: 03 April 2007 05:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Shad
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2007-03-05

Up.

Posted: 11 April 2007 01:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  78
Joined  2007-04-11

I think he use 17# - 25# test XPS mono line for spinnerbaits. It depends on the depth he wants to run it and cover. For deeper runs you need lower # line cause it sinks better, yet in heavy cover you want to have that extra # thick line that will pull bass out from thick cover with ease.

Signature 

KVD...Yeah, you know me !!!

Posted: 11 May 2007 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  286
Joined  2007-03-07

Thanks Bass Spotter…

I strictly throw XPS Mono. Trusting your line is important. I have complete confidence in the XPS lines.

Thanks,
Kevin

Signature 

It’s all about the attitude. - Kevin VanDam

Posted: 30 May 2007 04:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2007-04-16

so should I stop running my mini spinners on 8-10 lb suffix mono?, cuz everyone around here uses that on this river.. I do break off a lot even with smaller fish like the white bass and crappie… I mean I like suffix, and is way better then the flat spiderwire super line I was using…. so like is Trilene or Fireline better?

Signature 

When you stop dreaming and setting goals, You Perish… Dream? or Perish?.. I CHOOSE TO DREAM!!! What do you choose?

Posted: 31 May 2007 12:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-11

Well you should definitely go up in line. If you are using spinning rod I recommend 12# - 17# line. If you are using bait-casting rod I recommend 17# - 25# line. What kind is also good question. With stiffer rod you should go with mono type of line cause it has more stretch and absorbs setting up hook better. If you have softer rod tip, you can go with fluoro-carbon or braided line. Most popular braided lines are Power-Pro, Stren, Spider Wire.
And the most important thing is knot. No mater what kind of line you have, you will always loose fish with bad knot. Here is link to better knots.

http://www.netknots.com/html/fishing_knots.html

Signature 

Posted: 31 May 2007 05:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2007-04-16

thanks spotter, I need to learn new knots, because I think that might be part of my issue… I use a polemar knot most of the time, but if I am in a hurry I just tie it on with 3 granny knots..lol… yes I know thats never a good idea… but patients isn my virtue, especially with my finishing partner who never likes it when I take my time…. I will up my line strength too aswell I’ll prolly go to a 14- 17lb line on both my spinning rods… cuz I need my minni spinners, I love those booyah mini jigs and spinner baits….

Signature 

When you stop dreaming and setting goals, You Perish… Dream? or Perish?.. I CHOOSE TO DREAM!!! What do you choose?

Posted: 01 June 2007 01:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-11

Yes, patients and concentration is a must when fishing, at list if you really want to be successful angler. The best way to practise patients is if you go and fish all by yourself and do things your way. There will be no one to disturb you. Any how, I never rush and I always do things my way.

Signature 

Posted: 17 September 2007 06:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-11

Hope this helps.

Signature 

Posted: 18 April 2008 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Shad
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2008-04-16

I just started using mono ,etc. instead of braid for my spinnerbaits about 1/2 oz.  Everything was great until breakoffs in mid air. I was using 12 lb test Pline . Thanks for the help. I will probably use spinning tackle with 25 lb test. It hurts to see your spinnerbait for whatever flying through the air- lost.

Signature 

FACTA NON VERBA- ACTIONS NOT WORDS

Posted: 18 April 2008 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2386
Joined  2007-08-21

if that happens a lot, i would 1st make sure ya using a good knot, second, take a cue tip and run it thru your last rod tip and see if cotton comes off on it. if your using same rods with mono that you once used with braid its poss that your rod guide is destoyed and cut and that is fraying your line. you can feel the frays on youe line easy aftera short time when guide is bad. i fisha ton and i use 12 lb line and havent lost many on casts, most of mine is trying to hurl lipless and me not rechecking my line often enough. Im thinking ya have a bad guide, old line, and it is poss toget a bad spool sometimes.

Signature 

Posted: 18 April 2008 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Shad
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2008-04-16

Thanks Top 10.  Going to check those guides

Signature 

FACTA NON VERBA- ACTIONS NOT WORDS

Posted: 02 February 2009 06:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-11

Yes, good knot is a must.

Signature 

Posted: 02 February 2009 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1895
Joined  2008-01-18
Bass Spotter - 31 May 2007 04:35 AM

Well you should definitely go up in line. If you are using spinning rod I recommend 12# - 17# line. If you are using bait-casting rod I recommend 17# - 25# line. What kind is also good question. With stiffer rod you should go with mono type of line cause it has more stretch and absorbs setting up hook better. If you have softer rod tip, you can go with fluoro-carbon or braided line. Most popular braided lines are Power-Pro, Stren, Spider Wire.
And the most important thing is knot. No mater what kind of line you have, you will always loose fish with bad knot. Here is link to better knots.

http://www.netknots.com/html/fishing_knots.html

I wouldnt go past 12lb on a spinning combo unless you go to braid. You will have a very difficult time getting any distance with anything past 12lb mono on a spinning combo. If you need to go past 12, id go with the baitcasting gear and bump it up to either 14 or 17 lb

That website Bass Spotter gave you is amazing, it has helped me alot in the past. As mentioned before, a good knot is a must.

Signature 

“Everybody wanna be big, everybody wanna be strong, everybody wanna be a bodybuilder or powerlifter, but nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight, but I DO!!!!” - Ronnie Coleman

Posted: 07 February 2009 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  250
Joined  2008-01-26

I know he uses fluoros for cranks, I believe that he uses them for spinners as well. I use to use monos for spinnerbaits, but the stretch in the line allows for poor hooksets unless they are close to the boat. I use 30# fireline because it is a reaction type lure. Fishing them at least moderately fast, the bass just react, not having time to analyze the opportunity for a quick meal. Since I have switched, my catch ratio has improved dramatically. And spinnerbait is my #1 lure.

Slow rollin-Fluoros!

Signature 

HOOK ‘em HARD

Posted: 18 October 2010 03:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-11

I prefer 20# - 30# Spiderwire Ultracast Mose green braided line.

Signature 

1 of 2