1 2 3 > 
1 of 3
Spro frogs/ similar baits
Posted: 06 September 2012 04:19 PM
Bass
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2012-03-20

I’m on a lake that doesn’t hold many bass due to overfishing but the bass we do catch are big for PA.  Every serious fisherman I ask tells me they have caught there biggest bass in the lake using a frog in the lilies.  What are different retrieve techniques you have all had success with b/c i can not seem to get the bass to hit my frogs.  Any input is appreciated

Posted: 06 September 2012 04:44 PM   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28

slowly drag it over the pads. you have to give the bass time to locate the frog. in the sun there will be a shadow on the pads that the bass can see, on cloudy days, not so much. on cloudy days, the bass’s lateral line will help it locate the bait but sight is the number one sense. if you move it to fast you are pulling it out of the strike zone to quick. stop it once in a while. pop it once in a while. 

when the frog is over a hole, meaning an area of open water in the pads, just stop the frog and jiggle it a little like you would a drop shot. don’t move it, just subtle little twitches. Patience, patience, patience. when it’s over a hole, wait, light up a smoke, scratch your a*s, take a drink, but wait, wait wait. Don’t be afraid to make 10 or 20 casts over a spot you think holds bass. leave the spot and come back in 20-30 minutes if you get no bites or a blowup and miss.

the bass in the photo of my signature here on this site was caught on a horny toad last year. i must have made 50 casts under that tree to finally get her. she blew up and missed it on like the 2nd or 3rd cast. i was fishing from the bank and after about 20 casts, i turned to the right and fished the other side for a while then went back to where she blew up before, i eventually got her to bite. results are in the picture.

this year for some reason, frog fishing has been down in a lot of areas. where i am there was an explosion of a frog hatch. frogs everywhere. i’d throw my frog out and the other frogs would attack it. i actually caught 2 3lb frogs from them attacking my spro.

Signature 

Posted: 07 September 2012 06:05 PM   [ # 2 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  167
Joined  2012-03-24

Im not an expert but I was watching KVD frog fishing and he works his frogs very fast over pads and then slows them down a little bit over an opening. Presonally, I do the same thing with every kind of frog whether it be a spro pop frog, hollow belly frog, or a Rage toad. KVD says they’ll follow it over the lily pads and then smack your lure in the openings. But frog fishing is definitely a power fishing technique. The only frog I work slow is the rebel Frog-R.

Signature 

Posted: 07 September 2012 09:36 PM   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3199
Joined  2007-03-17

I like to pull the frog across the slop, pads and weeds then when I hit a hole pause the bait.  I will walk the dog with the frog as well in the openings and edges.

Signature 

Eat Sleep and Fish Skeeter

Posted: 07 September 2012 10:07 PM   [ # 4 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2012-03-20

All very similar answers.  Makes me have to waste less time trying 15x ways.  I actually had to see a masseuse bc my right arm is so sore from fishing haha.  Just got a Tracker Pro Crappie 175 and it has def paid itself off

Posted: 08 September 2012 08:36 AM   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

i forgot to mention, use heavy tackle, 7’ or 7’6” mh, fast, rod, no less than 50 lb braid, 65 lb braid seems to be the norm, some use 80 lb, and a good quality high speed reel. i use 50 lb because for the simple reason i can cast it further. frog fishing is a blast when it is on. my favorite way to fish!!!!!

Signature 

Posted: 22 May 2013 05:52 PM   [ # 6 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2012-04-05

With the questions with the Frogs is there away to get them from filling up with water as you cast them out there?

Signature 

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Posted: 22 May 2013 08:22 PM   [ # 7 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

some fill up with water more than others, ish’s phat frog doesn’t fill up, it has air chambers in it. you could try to glue the opening up with a good quality waterproof super glue.

Signature 

Posted: 22 May 2013 10:44 PM   [ # 8 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1808
Joined  2009-09-27

dont fish frogs much, not alot of high grass. if i do, i fish a buzz frog.

Posted: 23 May 2013 04:54 AM   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04

If you seal the frog you’re reducing its ability to collapse, which will negatively affect your hook-ups.

Signature 

Posted: 23 May 2013 07:26 AM   [ # 10 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  104
Joined  2009-01-17

I prefer solid body baits over hollow body frogs . Zoom Horny Toads and Gambler Buzzin Cane Toads are hard to beat. Missed blowups, I follow up with a Magnum Lizzard or a Senko type bait. I have found that missed blowups are 1. Bedding fish 2. Males guarding a Fry Ball 3. An actual miss. Dragging a Senko across weeds, pads and letting it sink in the holes is a great producer especially at Guntersville.

Posted: 23 May 2013 11:56 AM   [ # 11 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2012-04-05

I do not have any of ISH frogs who makes them and sells them? I have a few of BPS and KVD’s get plenty of hits of each just tired of after a few tosses then have to dump the water out of it.

Signature 

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Posted: 23 May 2013 06:33 PM   [ # 12 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

have them at tackle warehouse

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Snag_Proof_Ishs_Phat_Frog/descpage-SPIPF.html

Copy and paste

Signature 

Posted: 23 May 2013 06:34 PM   [ # 13 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
twitch - 23 May 2013 04:54 AM

If you seal the frog you’re reducing its ability to collapse, which will negatively affect your hook-ups.

X2, I like Koppers Live Target frog the best

Signature 

Posted: 23 May 2013 07:22 PM   [ # 14 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27
twitch - 23 May 2013 04:54 AM

Absolutely! Water is just a part of frog fishing, squeeze it out every 3rd cast and you are good to go.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 24 May 2013 02:00 AM   [ # 15 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  420
Joined  2012-01-14

I don’t fish pads much but I’d approach them with frog baits like this:

Throw a paddle tail soft plastic frog 1st and work in a fast retrieve like a buzzbait and occasionally climb it over the pads.  Cover water and locate fish.  Once fish are located try to figure out why that spot is holding fish.

Fish a conventional pointed nose hollow frog (like a snag proof ect) in a slower walk the dog retrieve between pads and climb over pads.

Fish a popper frog slowly in the spaces between pads and climb over pads.  Loooong pauses are often key with popper frogs. 

I’d fish fast and cover water, locate fish and then return those spots where fish were caught and slow down a bit.  You shouldn’t have to deal with a frog that fills full of water and sinks.  That’s a junk/broken lure.  Ditch it. 

1 2 3 > 
1 of 3