< 1 2 3 > 
2 of 3
Spro frogs/ similar baits
Posted: 24 May 2013 07:29 PM   [ # 16 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1060
Joined  2009-04-24

horny toads and gambler cane toads work best for me. i use 50lb braid and pull them fast over lily pads and grass. If i miss a blow up I throw back a fluke and let it fall and then do light twitches. works most every time.  BH

Posted: 27 May 2013 07:10 PM   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3199
Joined  2007-03-17
twitch - 23 May 2013 04:54 AM

If you seal the frog you’re reducing its ability to collapse, which will negatively affect your hook-ups.

If you go with a Snag proof frog they have a hook channel built into the frog so you don’t have water filling a hollow body.  I believe its only in the Ish’s Phat Frog series.

Signature 

Eat Sleep and Fish Skeeter

Posted: 27 May 2013 07:16 PM   [ # 18 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2012-04-05

Yea they are the only ones that i have found and I have also found them at the BPS here in my area. But you really have to read which one you are getting and they are limited in colors for now.

Signature 

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Posted: 27 May 2013 08:18 PM   [ # 19 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1060
Joined  2009-04-24

I caught a few using for the first time yesterday a gambler buzzin frog. I’m not sure it would have mattered which frog I was pulling through the lily pads yesterday when the sun went behind the clouds it seemed like the top water bite was on. In between that I was cranking a 3 to 5ft running squirtbait right along the edge of the lily pads and they seemed to be waiting to ambush it as I slow rolled it by them. BH

Posted: 27 May 2013 10:19 PM   [ # 20 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28

lake fork solid body frog is good also, its legs are different with a different action. caught several on it.

Signature 

Posted: 29 May 2013 04:09 AM   [ # 21 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  420
Joined  2012-01-14
quantum-man - 27 May 2013 07:10 PM
twitch - 23 May 2013 04:54 AM

If you seal the frog you’re reducing its ability to collapse, which will negatively affect your hook-ups.

If you go with a Snag proof frog they have a hook channel built into the frog so you don’t have water filling a hollow body.  I believe its only in the Ish’s Phat Frog series.

I’ve never had a SP fill full of water period.  Scum frogs?  Oh yeah, but I chalked that up to them being crummy baits.  If those cheap things off the shelves of Walmart don’t fill full of water then there is ZERO tolerance for that behavior from more expensive baits IMHO.

I’ve heard some bad things about the KVD frogs and BPS frogs sinking.  I don’t know why it’s so hard to design a TOPWATER frog bait that floats.

Basically, what are the hollow body frogs out there that aren’t sinking trash?

I know of 2 I have fished:  Spro and Snag Proof    

Posted: 29 May 2013 05:00 AM   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04

My favorites are Koppers and SPRO because of how well the body collapses. I don’t mind the bait sinking after a few casts because I have got into the habbit of squeezing it after every other cast anyways. Koppers, to me, are the best for the money.

Signature 

Posted: 29 May 2013 01:25 PM   [ # 23 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

I don’t mind squeezing the water out either, gives me time to look for my next target, light up a smoke and take a drink. I fished Ish’s and it doesn’t fill up with water or sinks. my favorite is koppers, it is a thinner plastic and collapses easier, making hook ups easier.

Signature 

Posted: 01 June 2013 01:53 AM   [ # 24 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-14

I fish a lot of popper faced frogs and really soak them between pops.  That’s probably why I can’t stand a sinking frog.  If you’re racing a pointed nose frog over vegetation then it’s not a game killer like it is with the poppers.

Posted: 01 June 2013 04:04 AM   [ # 25 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
TorqueConverter - 01 June 2013 01:53 AM

I fish a lot of popper faced frogs and really soak them between pops.  That’s probably why I can’t stand a sinking frog.  If you’re racing a pointed nose frog over vegetation then it’s not a game killer like it is with the poppers.

I hear you, most of my frogging is not over open water, its either over pads or matted weeds, thick scum or heavy hydrilla at the top, so sinking doesn’t happen.

Signature 

Posted: 01 June 2013 04:27 AM   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1866
Joined  2008-06-28

For me if its a frog I’ll throw it I dont care if its made by SK, Spro or Toys R Us.

One frog Ive not seen mentioned here but could of overlooked as I just scanned this thread is the Booyah Pad Crasher. I think its the best value frog on the market and good hook up percentage. Buddy of mine uses the BPS Kermit and it seems to work well but the paint knocks off very easily. He’s had 2 that started to have its paint peel off after just a couple fish.

Signature 

“Formley Known As Miller Time”

Posted: 12 June 2013 04:31 AM   [ # 27 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-14

I’ll throw this out again.  The Strike King Grass Popping frog is hands down the best hook up ratio frog out there.  They have spinnerbait with trailer hook like levels of hookup.  Insane.

They have a damn good action in the water too but have not and will not, as long as they remain on the market, catch anglers.  They look like absolute ass.  These things beat the piss out of my Spro popper Bronze Eyes in terms of action and certainly hookups.  They are the only frog lure I have actual frogs race off the shore to fight/have sex with with the damn things.  I’ve watched many a frog croak when eaten by a bass to intercept an SK popping frog

Posted: 12 June 2013 07:05 AM   [ # 28 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

yea, I just got a trailer hook for frogs i’m going to give a try

Signature 

Posted: 15 June 2013 03:17 PM   [ # 29 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2012-04-05

Got a question for you all about how to tie either the frogs, mice or any top water. I use the polmar knot mostly for all knots. But I have people say that a good loop knot is the best to use for the top due to giving them more room to walk with it. Any suggestions on that there?

Signature 

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Posted: 15 June 2013 09:42 PM   [ # 30 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  417
Joined  2011-05-13
Gator Doc - 15 June 2013 03:17 PM

Got a question for you all about how to tie either the frogs, mice or any top water. I use the polmar knot mostly for all knots. But I have people say that a good loop knot is the best to use for the top due to giving them more room to walk with it. Any suggestions on that there?

I use the palomar for most of my stuff too.

Signature 

fishing and hunting = my life

< 1 2 3 > 
2 of 3