3 of 3
Spro frogs/ similar baits
Posted: 15 June 2013 11:43 PM   [ # 31 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04
Gator Doc - 15 June 2013 03:17 PM

Got a question for you all about how to tie either the frogs, mice or any top water. I use the polmar knot mostly for all knots. But I have people say that a good loop knot is the best to use for the top due to giving them more room to walk with it. Any suggestions on that there?

I’d stick with the palamar knot with braid. Your ability to walk is mostly determined by reducing the drag on one side of the bait and timing your twitches correctly.

Signature 

Posted: 16 June 2013 03:30 AM   [ # 32 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28
twitch - 15 June 2013 11:43 PM
Gator Doc - 15 June 2013 03:17 PM

Got a question for you all about how to tie either the frogs, mice or any top water. I use the polmar knot mostly for all knots. But I have people say that a good loop knot is the best to use for the top due to giving them more room to walk with it. Any suggestions on that there?

I’d stick with the palamar knot with braid. Your ability to walk is mostly determined by reducing the drag on one side of the bait and timing your twitches correctly.

unless you are throwing open water I wouldn’t mess with any knot other than the palomar, loop knot will break off if he gets you around cover or in heavy grass, you’ll need the power of the braid and the strength of the palomar knot or u will lose that fish

Signature 

Posted: 16 June 2013 09:13 AM   [ # 33 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  213
Joined  2010-06-10

Like others have said; water in the frog is just part of frog fishing. Squeezing the water out after a few casts is the way to do it. It doesn’t take but a second to squeeze out the water until you’re back in action.

I make a long cast, let the frog smack on top of the pads…let it set for a second or two & then start my retrieve. I’ll slide/drag the frog accross the thick parts of the mat, let it slide off of the pads into an opening, & then start working it in either a walk the dog or popping action. I’m more effective at popping the hollow body frogs than I am doing the “Walk the Dog” technique.

I’ve mainly used buzz type frogs in the past but have found that the hollow body frogs is the way to go when you’re fishing very thick mats of lily pads & other thick mats of vegitation.

Signature 

1. WHEN IN DOUBT…EMPTY THE MAGAZINE!
2. HAPPINESS IS A WARM MACHINE GUN!

< 1 2 3
3 of 3