1 of 2
Growing Fond of Jigging Spoons
Posted: 25 October 2012 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-01-17

I am really growing more fond of jigging spoons and just thought I’d share it with you.  Yesterday I was out on one of the offshore humps jigging in 20-35 foot of water and they were just slamming the spoon.  I don’t know how many of you use them, but if you may want to give them a try.  You can catch bass where other anglers don’t.  Plus you just may catch lunch.  On one smaller hump I had a 5+ lb. LM hammer it on the fall, obviously it’s not the one in the picture.  That particular bait I was using yesterday was a Strike King Sexy Spoon SSPN4-498.  Oh and don’t forget to put a barrel swivel on the split ring or your line will be twisted in no time. 

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii525/USMCGeoff/SpoonBass.jpg
http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii525/USMCGeoff/SpoonWalleye.jpg

Signature 

“May you catch all the fish you’ve told me about.”

Posted: 25 October 2012 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2094
Joined  2008-04-08

very nice fish.

I haven’t used a spoon in years - may have to tie one one.

Signature 

My wife is my favorite fishing partner.

Posted: 25 October 2012 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3414
Joined  2008-11-12

Very nice. I have never thrown a spoon for offshore bass. That is in part to the lakes in my area not being well suited for fishing spoons.

What kind of equipment were you throwing that spoon on?

Signature 

Does sleeping with the fishes equate to basstiality? LOL LOL LOL

Posted: 25 October 2012 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

I jig spoons all the time for walleye, bass, and panfish. All the way from 1/20th oz up to 3/4oz.

Rip it up, let it flutter down, rip it up, stop it half way down and shake it, rip it up, let it flutter down. Gets tiring after a while, but you are right they really smoke them.

For bass spoons I usually use 1/2oz. I use a 7’ MH rod with 17lb mono and a right hand reel. I really like mono for jigging spoons because you can really use the extra stretch when you rip it up and the fish is already holding on to it. With braid I rip their lips off lol. Dont really have to feel for a bite, they try to rip the rod out of your hand.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 25 October 2012 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-17
LilJakeC - 25 October 2012 12:03 PM

Very nice. I have never thrown a spoon for offshore bass. That is in part to the lakes in my area not being well suited for fishing spoons.

What kind of equipment were you throwing that spoon on?

I am throwing it on a 7’ MHF St. Croix Rod / 6.3:1 Team Daiwa casting reel / 12lb Fluoro

Signature 

Posted: 25 October 2012 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  2009-03-08

Nice.  I’m curious as to how you were able to locate them.  Was it an old spot, were you looking at a lake map, or were you cruising looking at the screen?  Part of what keeps me shallow the time it takes to locate them deep.  Looks like an awesome technique.  BTW, I haven’t had good walleye since I left Toledo.  Man, I miss it.

EDIT:  I miss the walleye - not Toledo. LOL

Posted: 25 October 2012 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-17
RiverRat - 25 October 2012 12:58 PM

Nice.  I’m curious as to how you were able to locate them.  Was it an old spot, were you looking at a lake map, or were you cruising looking at the screen?  Part of what keeps me shallow the time it takes to locate them deep.  Looks like an awesome technique.  BTW, I haven’t had good walleye since I left Toledo.  Man, I miss it.

EDIT:  I miss the walleye - not Toledo. LOL

I find them either with a small crankbait (my favorite is the Strike King Series 3) or a jerkbait (I prefer the Bill Lewis blue ghost Rattle Stick which they don’t make anymore).  During cloudy windy days, they will come out of their deep haunts to shallower water where you can at least see them if not catch a couple.  The giant LM very seldom come up shallower then 10 foot except during the spawn.  They won’t always hit the jerkbait but they at least come up to show themselves.  Then I get the map out and pattern them, finding the same kind of structure around the lake.  On my lake, they prefer the deeper side of the mid lake humps and points regardless of the wind direction.  I patterned 6 spots and all hold walleye, LM and SM.  If you find 1 generally you will find more.  Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Signature 

Posted: 25 October 2012 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-27

This is by far the best time of year to try the jigging spoon if any of you are wanting to try it. Just look for any sharp drops or structure in over 10’ of water. Drop it down and start drifting or slowly moving the boat while you jig it. When you find the fish just follow them. Watch your electronics and you can see your spoon down there and any fish if they follow.

Some guys literally throw them, that might be what you were doing from the sounds of it. This involves throwing past your target them ripping it up and down as you fish it back to you. Awesome for very active fish. You can sit off them and just hammer them. But when the fish are slow (post cold front, like every other day the past 2 weeks), sitting on top of them and shaking that spoon gets hits every time. Also great in the winter, I cant tell you how many bass I have pulled out of 30FOW below the dam in Jan while jigging spoons for walleye.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 25 October 2012 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-27

Here is a video that shows the jigging motion for fishing late fall/winter bass. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK9XPPbPYuw

Signature 

Posted: 26 October 2012 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1808
Joined  2009-09-27

caught a few small pike on em, and had a few SM on. But i plan on going out and giving em a shot next weekend, i would this weekend but i have to get my wisdom teeth pulled.

Posted: 27 October 2012 04:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  189
Joined  2010-03-06

Good luck, i had mine done two weeks ago. Was no where near as bad as i thought it would be, sore for a bit was all. I had all four pulled.

BORN2FISH001 - 26 October 2012 10:26 AM

caught a few small pike on em, and had a few SM on. But i plan on going out and giving em a shot next weekend, i would this weekend but i have to get my wisdom teeth pulled.

Posted: 27 October 2012 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4160
Joined  2011-02-28

all 4 of mine were impacted and they had to cut em out when i was in the USAF. good luck

Signature 

Posted: 27 October 2012 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1808
Joined  2009-09-27
CincySid - 27 October 2012 08:58 AM

all 4 of mine were impacted and they had to cut em out when i was in the USAF. good luck

mine were too. im freakin miserable lol.

Posted: 27 October 2012 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
BORN2FISH001 - 27 October 2012 11:09 AM

did you swell up a lot? i did. u’ll be eating soup and cottage cheese for a while.

Signature 

Posted: 28 October 2012 12:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  189
Joined  2010-03-06

My bottom two were cut out, i only took two 200mg IP several times a day and was fine, i had hard food the next day, just make sure and clean it out well if they gave you a little plastic syringe to flush it out with, use it!! when food gets caught in there it irritates it.

CincySid - 27 October 2012 12:11 PM
BORN2FISH001 - 27 October 2012 11:09 AM

did you swell up a lot? i did. u’ll be eating soup and cottage cheese for a while.

Posted: 29 October 2012 04:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

when they were cutting out my lower right tooth the instrument slipped and put a gash on the inside of my mouth on the cheek. didn’t feel a thing, all i heard was was, “Nurse, wipe the blood off his face” took 6 stitches to close it up, guess i lost a lot of blood.  yea, you got to syringe salt water back there and rinse all that decaying food out. take care.

Signature 

1 of 2