1 of 2
Any big plans (fishing or other) for 2013??
Posted: 18 December 2012 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2094
Joined  2008-04-08

I have an out-of-state fishing trip planned with my brother.  It will be the first time since I quit fishing tourneys that I will not be fishing in Illinois.

We are taking a week in July to go up to some of my old stomping grounds in the UP of Mich.  We will be working a lot of lakes in and around Marquette - specifically The Dead River Basin, Big and Little Shag, Little Lake, and others.  We will specifically be looking for walleye, northerns, and smallies.

Apart from that I really hope Heather and I can do more fishing this year - the heat wave through the St. Louis area severely limited our fishing this past year.

Signature 

My wife is my favorite fishing partner.

Posted: 18 December 2012 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1866
Joined  2008-06-28

Im hoping the plans for a certain forum member to come for a visit this summer avoids the obstacles known as “life”.

I always look forward to the 1-3 trips twitch and I get out even though its local. Also, late last year I finally got on the water with my best friend from school. We had not really seen each other since 1996. So Im hoping him and I can get out at least as much as twitch and I normaly do.

Hope to sneak off with the wife a few times without the kids. Not that I dont want to take the kids fishing, just something we only got to do once last year. Im also hoping my oldest will start putting things together a little more, no rush by any means just something that be nice to see. Course that will mean some cat fishing. My lil sister moved back from Virgina late last summer, so maybe I’ll take my nephew out a few times as well.

Ya know you never really notice how much you do have planned till you write it down. Thanks tex for shedding some light on it!

Signature 

“Formley Known As Miller Time”

Posted: 18 December 2012 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  167
Joined  2012-03-24

Hopefully I’ll fish 3 or 4 BFL tournaments in the SC or NC divisions. I also hope to fish a ton of youth state tournaments, because I’ll be in a third bass fishing club this year. Can’t wait to meet the new fellow fishermen in that club. I know I’ll be headed to Kerr Lake NC/VA for some great mid-summer striper fishing. I really want to go to Cane Creek NC and hire a guide in mid-march to target some state record crappie. Also, some great summer bass fishing on Kerr lake. Skipin a jig under docks for 5 pound bass… you can’t beat it. If I’m really lucky and win one of these state tournaments for a chance for nationals on lake Okeechobee

Signature 

Posted: 18 December 2012 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1989
Joined  2009-02-17

Don’t know about plans, but they just took the bridge out between me & my favorite pond & the next bridge is 5 miles up & 5 back compared to 3.5 miles straight there. They say it’s supposed to be a 3 month thing, but my friend who works construction is saying it’ll take this construction company 5 or 6 months because they’re notoriously slow. So spring could add a lot of mileage & probably a few less ventures for my “quick” trips to the pond. Might have to start going to the pond my brother caught his 6.5lber out of a couple years ago, which is right next to the town with the bridge I have to go to.

Fishingwise, my brother is talking about another SD trip for eyes in the spring, but who knows how that’ll go. Tried putting together trips for summer & fall last year with our friend with the boat & nothing ever materialized. He has a nephew & friend that go with him all the time & he doesn’t like putting 4 in the boat, even though it’s jigging or trolling in a 20’er 99.99% of the time, so it’s a stars align type situation. Fishing equipment all I’m looking to pick up is a Powell frog rod & a Revo 10 spinning reel for my UL Croix & finally start going full bore on a boat saving plan.

Signature 

Posted: 18 December 2012 11:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1329
Joined  2008-04-06

Just made my reservations for our regular group to head to Wiley Point Lodge on Lake of the Woods Canada (just south of Kenora)
This place is great….lodging 45 minutes by boat from the nearest road, 3 meals a day including shore lunch of fresh walleye every day, great service and folks.  Best of all 50+” muskies, huge smallies, Northerns that will chew your arm off (see my avatar), gargantuan walleyes, etc etc etc.  You can fish an entire day on this body of water and not see another boat. 
14,000 islands, large rock outcroppings, Bald Eagles….it’s pure heaven.

Got 10 guys headed that way in early June. It cannot come soon enough.

Signature 

“Is this Heaven ?....no it’s Minnesota.  That’s funny, I could have sworn it was Heaven”

Posted: 19 December 2012 12:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04

Well 2013 is filling up fairly quick for me. Im starting off in January with a week-long trip to Florida to fish the Kissimmee chain of lakes. Then in March Ill be heading down to Guntersville for a couple weeks of fun and preparation for the McDonalds/Sealeys Big Bass Splash. Hopefully Ill be heading to Ky Lake in April for a long weekend with my bass club. I may try to squeeze a camping trip in early May with my wife and head to G-ville for the shad spawn. Ill head back to G-ville in October for the Oakley Big Bass tourney and get another week of camping in with my wife. Then, in Nov, ill head up to NH for Thanksgiving and smallie fishing with my brother.

Signature 

Posted: 19 December 2012 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-01-17
Flymantex - 18 December 2012 12:18 PM

I have an out-of-state fishing trip planned with my brother.  It will be the first time since I quit fishing tourneys that I will not be fishing in Illinois.

We are taking a week in July to go up to some of my old stomping grounds in the UP of Mich.  We will be working a lot of lakes in and around Marquette - specifically The Dead River Basin, Big and Little Shag, Little Lake, and others.  We will specifically be looking for walleye, northerns, and smallies.

Apart from that I really hope Heather and I can do more fishing this year - the heat wave through the St. Louis area severely limited our fishing this past year.

East of Marquette about 40 minutes is Autrain Lake if you get the chance.  It’s about 800 acres and has all the fish in it.  I haven’t fished it in many years but it used to be dynamite.  Good luck where ever you end up.

Signature 

“May you catch all the fish you’ve told me about.”

Posted: 19 December 2012 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-08

East of Marquette about 40 minutes is Autrain Lake if you get the chance.  It’s about 800 acres and has all the fish in it.  I haven’t fished it in many years but it used to be dynamite.  Good luck where ever you end up.

Thanks for the tip.  I was stationed at KI Sawyer AFB from 1990 - 1992 and mainly fished for trout with a fly rod.  I did do some bass fishing at the lakes I mentioned but I didn’t have a clue what I was doing.  I also did a lot of ice fishing for blue gill and perch - caught a few bass doing that - a lot of fun through the ice.

Signature 

Posted: 19 December 2012 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4164
Joined  2011-02-28
Flymantex - 18 December 2012 12:18 PM

No specific plans, but i hear you about the heat, it took 2 months of my fishing time away this summer. the low water levels didnt help either. need someone to do a rain dance to fill up the rivers, lakes, ponds.

Signature 

Posted: 02 January 2013 11:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  2009-03-08

I got an open invitation to fish St. Johns in Florida and the Androscroggin river in Maine.  The bummer is car rides kill my sciatica in my leg.  It might be worth the suffering though.

Posted: 03 January 2013 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4164
Joined  2011-02-28
RiverRat - 02 January 2013 11:51 PM

I got an open invitation to fish St. Johns in Florida and the Androscroggin river in Maine.  The bummer is car rides kill my sciatica in my leg.  It might be worth the suffering though.

ship yor stuff and fly there, might be about the same price.

Signature 

Posted: 03 January 2013 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  189
Joined  2011-07-16

Hey guys,

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Year’s!!!  It’s been a long time since I’ve been online and I apologize.  I’ve been dealing with a lot of stuff that has effectively consumed my life.  I’m back in action and really looking forward to 2013.  One of the first things I want to do is go somewhere on a guided trip, probably two days plus a day of travel, and try and catch a monster bass and learn a great deal about bass fishing from a great guide.  Location doesn’t matter whether it’s Texas, Florida, Alabama, I’ll get my butt there.  I see some Lake Fork guides running deals right now for guided daily trips for 150.00 per day.  I know winter fishing is a lot different that spring/fall fishing so I’m a bit concerned that I won’t learn as much from winter fishing as I would if I wait for a spring trip although prices go up considerably for guides when you get closer to prime time.  I do know the chances of getting a monster bass during winter fishing is pretty good but quantities of fish go down.

Anyway, I’m looking for suggestions.  Anyone that knows of a guide they would recommend or a lake as well as a good time to go I would greatly appreciate the input.  I know I can research the internet and find all of the well known lakes like Falcon, Lake Fork, Guntersville, etc., in fact I’ve already started doing that.  What I’m looking for is your suggestions rather than trusting the wonderful world of google to find somewhere to go.

Take care and tight lines for 2013!

Smash
i

Posted: 04 January 2013 03:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04
Smash - 03 January 2013 09:41 PM

Hey guys,

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Year’s!!!  It’s been a long time since I’ve been online and I apologize.  I’ve been dealing with a lot of stuff that has effectively consumed my life.  I’m back in action and really looking forward to 2013.  One of the first things I want to do is go somewhere on a guided trip, probably two days plus a day of travel, and try and catch a monster bass and learn a great deal about bass fishing from a great guide.  Location doesn’t matter whether it’s Texas, Florida, Alabama, I’ll get my butt there.  I see some Lake Fork guides running deals right now for guided daily trips for 150.00 per day.  I know winter fishing is a lot different that spring/fall fishing so I’m a bit concerned that I won’t learn as much from winter fishing as I would if I wait for a spring trip although prices go up considerably for guides when you get closer to prime time.  I do know the chances of getting a monster bass during winter fishing is pretty good but quantities of fish go down.

Anyway, I’m looking for suggestions.  Anyone that knows of a guide they would recommend or a lake as well as a good time to go I would greatly appreciate the input.  I know I can research the internet and find all of the well known lakes like Falcon, Lake Fork, Guntersville, etc., in fact I’ve already started doing that.  What I’m looking for is your suggestions rather than trusting the wonderful world of google to find somewhere to go.

Smash
i

Ill be in Guntersville for a few weeks this March. You should look into the fishing down there around that time. Im not sure what you consider to be a big bass, but I’ve caught several 5’s and 6’s down there and a couple 7’s.
Where do you live?

Signature 

Posted: 04 January 2013 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-08

El Salto:

http://www.wheretofish.com/mexico.htm

Signature 

Posted: 04 January 2013 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1329
Joined  2008-04-06
Smash - 03 January 2013 09:41 PM

Hey guys,

Smash
i

If it’s definitely BIG bass you want to catch I’d say call Mark Detweiler at the Big Toho Marina on Lake Toho.  Mark is the owner of Big Toho Marina. Mark can steer you to some guys that can guide you for some very sweet bass.  I have a good number of fish there over the years that exceed 10 pounds, and more 5-7’s than you can count.  For me…the best time to go is first week in January ...which interestingly enough is right NOW !  But really anytime up till March is OK. 
This is a real nice lake with lots of BIG fish.
If you are really up for an experience though, and don’t care specifically about Bass ... ....take some time and come up north to the Canadian side of Lake Of The Woods this summer.  You’ll never fish anywhere in the US like it.  Absolutely amazing fishery.

Signature 

“Is this Heaven ?....no it’s Minnesota.  That’s funny, I could have sworn it was Heaven”

Posted: 05 January 2013 12:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  189
Joined  2011-07-16

Guys,

I really appreciate the feedback.  Like Cincy and Flyman I’m a Chicago area resident. 

Twitch-I just might have to take you up on the Guntersville trip in March and I really appreciate the offer.  I see that DDaniel took you up on an offer and had an awesome time.  That 4.8 and 5.13 he caught were damn nice fish!

I’m also going to look into Lake Toho.  I didn’t check in with the gent at the Marina yet but I did find some packages to Toho for hotel and guide for 3 nights, 2 days fishing with guide or 4 nights and 3 days fishing with guide for some pretty decent deals.  I’d have to fly or drive to Orlando in that case but actually airfare from Chicago to Orlando is pretty reasonable.

My PB is only 4.5 out of the Lake of the Ozarks so I’m hoping to go North of 5lb’s this year.  Hell, if I shore fish with Cincy in our own backyard this spring I might be able to land one bigger than my PB looking at the damn thing he caught!

Talk to you all soon!

Smash

1 of 2