I’m Not Sure
Posted: 25 December 2012 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1329
Joined  2008-04-06

I am starting to plan my one upgrade to my Ranger 620 this season.  Each year I invest in one major change or upgrade.  Last season it was a full windshield, which is maybe the best move I have ever made…..ever.  It’s phenomenal ! cheese  The year before I did i-pilot…and that was a GREAT investment as well.
This year I am considering moving to the Lowrance HDS GEN2 Touch 12” unit.  I am a bit concerned however in that 1) I am an old fart and this “touch stuff” has me a bit irritated (I still can’t type on my i phone 4s shock ), and 2) I’ll get the screen full of finger prints.  For a grand less I can buy the Lowrance HDS Gen2 10” model and use the buttons like I am already used to.  But that 12” screen is pretty tasty….especially for these old eyes.
The plan is to take the unit I now have at the console (A Lowrance HDS 8) and move it up front.  Then mount the new unit at the console.  Up front I currently have an old Lowrance 520 unit flush mounted on the little panel up there.

Has anyone played around yet with this new HDS Gen2 Touch unit yet ?  Opinions ??  There are parts of it that seem great (12"screen for one !!) and parts that are not so great (finger marks on the screen).
Either way I use the console for navigation mostly (with some structure charting).  I do not use the side imaging or down imaging…..I find I don’t need it.

Signature 

“Is this Heaven ?....no it’s Minnesota.  That’s funny, I could have sworn it was Heaven”

Posted: 25 December 2012 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1056
Joined  2010-07-26

That sounds like a great investment.  I have the Gen 1 HDS 10 and 8 and I really like them.  One thing I would look into if I were you is if they have done any improvements on the pixelation on the 12” unit.  When I bought my HDS 10, the 10 and 12 both had the same number of pixels.  The 10 had a much clearer picture because of this.  So I went with the 10.  When zooming in on an object I think the 12 spread the picture out too much and it wasn’t as clear as it was on the 10.

Good luck with whatever you choose.  I’m sure you will really enjoy it.

Posted: 25 December 2012 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-06
DDaniel - 25 December 2012 01:31 PM

That sounds like a great investment.  I have the Gen 1 HDS 10 and 8 and I really like them.  One thing I would look into if I were you is if they have done any improvements on the pixelation on the 12” unit.  When I bought my HDS 10, the 10 and 12 both had the same number of pixels.  The 10 had a much clearer picture because of this.  So I went with the 10.  When zooming in on an object I think the 12 spread the picture out too much and it wasn’t as clear as it was on the 10.

Good luck with whatever you choose.  I’m sure you will really enjoy it.

GREAT advice.  It will be one of the first things I check.
THANKS !!

Signature 

“Is this Heaven ?....no it’s Minnesota.  That’s funny, I could have sworn it was Heaven”

Posted: 25 December 2012 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1830
Joined  2008-03-26

What I like about the new touch units is the side/down scan is built in to the unit. You will only need the transducer not the seperate module. You can then link the front to the console unit and share the transducer and waypoints, ect.

Signature 

when in doubt swing it

Posted: 25 December 2012 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-06
stick um - 25 December 2012 02:20 PM

What I like about the new touch units is the side/down scan is built in to the unit. You will only need the transducer not the seperate module. You can then link the front to the console unit and share the transducer and waypoints, ect.

See…I didn’t know that.  Lucky I posted.  Thanks a million.
If it’s built in, it might be nice to have.  Doubt I’d use it much but who knows.

Signature 

Posted: 25 December 2012 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-07-26
AAav8or - 25 December 2012 02:34 PM
stick um - 25 December 2012 02:20 PM

See…I didn’t know that.  Lucky I posted.  Thanks a million.
If it’s built in, it might be nice to have.  Doubt I’d use it much but who knows.

That’s pretty cool.  I didn’t know it was built in either.  One thing I don’t like about mine is that I can’t put a chip in the console unit and be able to see it on the bow unit.  I have to buy a seperate chip or keep moving the chip between the two units.  I wonder if they have done something to fix that too.  That would be sweet if they did.

Posted: 25 December 2012 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-06

So if I use my existing transducer (thru the hull) for the depth etc…..I will need a second transducer for the side scan….right ?  Do I need a third for the bottom scan ?  I assume I’d mount the side scan/bottom scan transducers on the back of my transom ? 

Signature 

Posted: 25 December 2012 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-07-26
AAav8or - 25 December 2012 06:44 PM

So if I use my existing transducer (thru the hull) for the depth etc…..I will need a second transducer for the side scan….right ?  Do I need a third for the bottom scan ?  I assume I’d mount the side scan/bottom scan transducers on the back of my transom ?

Since the side scan/down scan is included in the unit, I’m not sure.  I would assume it’s the same as with the separate unit.  But yes, for my system anyways, there is a separate transducer that is needed to get the side scan and down scan readings for the unit.  It is only one transducer though.  I mounted mine under the jack plate.  You definitely want to mount it in a place that will be as level as possible so that it will shoot straight down.  Some boats sit at an exaggerated angle when sitting still or moving at a very slow speed and that will mess up the way the signal is sent and received.

Posted: 25 December 2012 10:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-06
DDaniel - 25 December 2012 09:42 PM
AAav8or - 25 December 2012 06:44 PM

Since the side scan/down scan is included in the unit, I’m not sure.  I would assume it’s the same as with the separate unit.  But yes, for my system anyways, there is a separate transducer that is needed to get the side scan and down scan readings for the unit.  It is only one transducer though.  I mounted mine under the jack plate.  You definitely want to mount it in a place that will be as level as possible so that it will shoot straight down.  Some boats sit at an exaggerated angle when sitting still or moving at a very slow speed and that will mess up the way the signal is sent and received.

That is good to know.  I actually will most likely have my local Ranger guy (dealer) install it….anytime holes are drilled in my rig I let the pros do it. I gotta believe they know how.  They did a great job on my windshield, so I’ll leave the work to them I think. Boat is in the inside storage right now….I bring it there in March so I am ready to go in late April.

Signature 

Posted: 26 December 2012 06:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04

You should be able to hook it into your existing thru-hull transducer. It wont allow you to have structure scan with this puck, but it will give you the option of having depth readings while you’re on plane. I run my HDS10 G2 to an auxilary switch that allows me to swap between a thru-hull puck and a transom mount (skimmer). For my structure scan, I run a LSS-2 box and transom mount transducer. This one is specifically for SI/DI. This LSS-2 box also allows me to network all of my units. I can share waypoints/radar/sonar/SI/DI between both my HDS units.
I havent looked into the new Touch units. They may just have one puck for both sonar and structure scan, which would be nice, then the unit itself would be able to act as a network and link all of your other components together. From what Ive read its supposed to be wireless connections also. That sounds good to me, but Im waiting till these units get a few hours on them. That way Lowrance can have some time to work all the bugs out (if there are any).

Signature 

Posted: 26 December 2012 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-06
twitch - 26 December 2012 06:31 AM

You should be able to hook it into your existing thru-hull transducer. It wont allow you to have structure scan with this puck, but it will give you the option of having depth readings while you’re on plane. I run my HDS10 G2 to an auxilary switch that allows me to swap between a thru-hull puck and a transom mount (skimmer). For my structure scan, I run a LSS-2 box and transom mount transducer. This one is specifically for SI/DI. This LSS-2 box also allows me to network all of my units. I can share waypoints/radar/sonar/SI/DI between both my HDS units.
I havent looked into the new Touch units. They may just have one puck for both sonar and structure scan, which would be nice, then the unit itself would be able to act as a network and link all of your other components together. From what Ive read its supposed to be wireless connections also. That sounds good to me, but Im waiting till these units get a few hours on them. That way Lowrance can have some time to work all the bugs out (if there are any).

Great point on “working out the bugs” !!!
Without a doubt….that is exactly why I asked if anyone had experience with these units.  I know from technology on aircraft that the more “techy” things get, the greater the chance for issues.  Touch screens have been around a long time, but I’d be lying if I said I was totally confident in their application on the water. It should be pretty straightforward, but who knows. The fact that there is so much technology packed into these units, concerns me too.  For example, if the downscan fails, do I also lose navigation and normal fish finding ability ?  How interconnected are these technologies ? 
I guess I have a lot to ask at the upcoming fishing shows here in MN.  I’ll post what I find out.

Signature 

Posted: 26 December 2012 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1830
Joined  2008-03-26

You need a seperate transducer for the down/side scan. You still cant share maps using a chip. There is a copyright issue with sharing the maps over the ethernet cable. But you can share waypoints, so you can mark your spots on the higher detailed map and send them to the front and get yourself pretty close. Now I need to find about $6 k laying around so I can go get myself some of this stuff.

Signature 

when in doubt swing it