spinnerbait followers
Posted: 01 January 2013 07:18 PM
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  2009-03-08

There are times when a bass will follow myspinnerbait out from where it was sitting. It will follow my spinnerbait until I can see it then turn and swim away. Is that bass catchable on the same bait? What made it follow and not strike. A lot of times I see a follow and just keep reeling hoping the bass will hit it. Some bass will follow while others will crush the same bait. What are some adjustments I can make? I know there’s a lot of variables, but a few suggestions will help.

Posted: 01 January 2013 07:53 PM   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

I’m curious to what KVD has to say about this also. I assume he has a followup bait, but I’d like to know what it is and how he fishes it. Do you throw it where the bass came from, or where he left your lure. Will he return right back to the structure/weeds he came from?

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 01 January 2013 08:53 PM   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28

if you leave the spot alone for a few minutes, then go back to that spot and vary your retrieve more or slow it down, good chance you will get bit. i’m no expert like KVD but i have thrown a lot of spinnerbaits in the last 3 years and have learned some things.  i probably catch 3 out of 4 followers by doing what i just said. i’ll continue my fan casting then go back to that spot, make a full cast but when i get to the spot where i first seen him, put a pause or jerk or just slow the bait down a little and he’ll pound that spinnerbait. If that doesn’t work, try a senko or a worm or swimming jig and you might pick up the fish that way. if nothing seems to work, i’ll sometimes tie on a different color or blade configuration of spinnerbait and some times that works also. if you just keep pounding the area right after you see a follower, chances are you’ll turn him off. let the spot cool off is the best medicine. If you do continue casting to the area right after seeing a follower, don’t be afraid to throw 15 or 20 casts in there and vary your retrieve. That’s what i do, right or wrong and it seems to work for me for the most part. If nothing works i will continue to fish around the pond but before i leave i will go back to that spot and try again. GL RR

Signature 

‹‹ KVD Q&A Twitter session      KVD TOUR RODS ››