Braid on spinning reel
Posted: 24 February 2013 06:19 PM
Crappie
RankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2011-01-11

I purchased a Quantum size 40 spinning reel over the off season and plan to spool with 10 lbs braid and use a 8 lbs flourcarbon leader for drop shotting.  What other applications can I use this set for?  I don’t want to be limited to just one application or would it be better to spool just straight flourcarbon.

Signature 

Posted: 24 February 2013 06:28 PM   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

I use 10# power pro braid quite a bit for walleye fishing. IMO it is a tad bit on the light side for dropshotting, or any bass fishing for that matter. I would up it to 15#, but no higher. 15# seems to be the best all around finesse line. You could use it for shakey heads or weightless plastics as well. I would not use 10# for anything but very light drop shotting around NO cover. One nick and the line is pretty much done, its is very thin. But if you take your time fighting the fish and use a very light rod, 10# will work.

Now all fluoro or not? That would depend on how you plan to fish this rod. Do you plan to make long casts or fish deep water? If so I’d say braid all the way. If you plan to make short casts or fish fairly shallow water you can most certainly go straight 8# fluoro. I just dont like fluoro for long casts or fishing far away from the boat because it tends to curl up quite a bit and just makes things difficult. Your call though.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 24 February 2013 07:29 PM   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04

I often use a spinning rod with braid for shakey heads and fishing a super fluke. If you’re throwing light topwater baits then it works very well with those too.
Spinning rods do not get much use when it comes to my style of fishing, but we all need at least one in the box just in case.
I run 15lb Spiderwire Stealth to a 6lb leader for shakey heads and straight braid for topwater/flukes.

Signature 

Posted: 24 February 2013 07:51 PM   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1989
Joined  2009-02-17

One thing I’d suggest, use plenty backing when you’re spooling 10-20 lb braid on a 40 size reel, really small diameter line for such a big spool. No sense in having 300 yards of braid on the spool when you’ll only be using the last 40-50.

Signature 

‹‹ KVD TOUR RODS      Cold Weather Gloves ››