1 2 > 
1 of 2
Senkos, ochos, yum dingers
Posted: 21 March 2013 06:32 PM
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  2009-03-08

Is there a big difference between these baits? I just buy whatever is in the bargain bin. I’m definitely rigging them wacky with a circle hook this year. Just curious to what you guys think.

Posted: 21 March 2013 06:40 PM   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28

i’m no expert RR, but i would think they are similar. again, it’s about which ones you have confidence in. i know KVD fishes Ochos, but i am sure if Senkos caught more, he would use them. Its all about the confidence and attitude!

Signature 

Posted: 21 March 2013 06:48 PM   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  420
Joined  2012-01-14

Never touched an Ocho but the senkos are better than anything other bait of that type I’ve used.  The yamamoto/knami senkos just cast better and wiggle better than the dingers and any other similar bait’s I’ve fished.

Differences: Senkos are heavily salt and sand impregnated.  The Dingers are available in a fork tail.

Copy and paste this into your brower for more info:  http://www.basstardfishing.com/Yum_Dinger_vs_Yamamoto_Senko.html

Posted: 21 March 2013 07:02 PM   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3416
Joined  2008-11-12

They all are different. They all have different fall rates and some are softer than others. Senkos are very soft which allows them to have the action that they have. Ochos I have found are a little harder plastic but still have great action. Dingers are also harder than a senko but softer than an Ocho. They also have different weights. I remember seeing a chart that listed each senko type baits’ weight and the dinger was one of the lightest. Before I started making my own senkos, I used a combination of Ochos and Dingers because the price was cheaper then a pack of Senkos.

I prefer to use my own senkos now over all of those. They catch fish as good or better than the big brand senkos. I have sold packs to others in my club and they have even said that they catch fish just as good as senkos. Try finding a custom pourer and they should be able to hook you up.

Signature 

Does sleeping with the fishes equate to basstiality? LOL LOL LOL

Posted: 21 March 2013 08:22 PM   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  2009-03-08

Wow! Good info guys. There’s a mom and pop shop that sells some local guys stuff. I’ll have to check them out.

Posted: 21 March 2013 10:09 PM   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1808
Joined  2009-09-27

tried a few custom stick baits from different people…meh. I’ll pay the extra for a pack of yammamoto senkos, but to each their own. throw what you think will get you bit!

Posted: 22 March 2013 01:32 PM   [ # 6 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2008-03-06

I fish a senko more in colder water since they have a little better action, as it warms up i can use a strike king shimmie stick with good results

Posted: 23 April 2013 12:59 PM   [ # 7 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  451
Joined  2008-03-31

I find that each of those have a differnt fall rate, I have used all of those brands, the fish themselves will tell you what they want all you have to do is listen to what they are telling you

Signature 

Check Out My Bass Articles on My Blog

Posted: 23 April 2013 02:42 PM   [ # 8 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2102
Joined  2008-04-08

I have fished all those baits and more.  Even had some of LilJakeCs baits.  They all catch fish. 

My personal preference is the Senko (Sorry LilJakeC).  The Senko and Kinami Flash - same as the Senko, both made by Yamamoto - have the best falling action.  The negative side of those is they fall apart after one or two fish. 

What I do to get the most miles out of a lure is always start off t-rigged (weightless) - I use either an Owner Twist Lock in 4/0 or a Mustad 91768 hook in 4/0 with an Owner twist Lock added.

After they get tore up (and they will) - they become my wacky rig Senkos and I can get another 2 or 3 fish out of them.

Signature 

My wife is my favorite fishing partner.

Posted: 23 April 2013 02:43 PM   [ # 9 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

Yami are definitely the best. I just cannot justify the price for fun fishing. If I was fishing tournaments that is all I would use, but until then hand poured are almost just as good and are cheap.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 23 April 2013 03:25 PM   [ # 10 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1808
Joined  2009-09-27
Kevin22 - 23 April 2013 02:43 PM

Yami are definitely the best. I just cannot justify the price for fun fishing. If I was fishing tournaments that is all I would use, but until then hand poured are almost just as good and are cheap.

why dont you fish tourneys? just curious

Posted: 23 April 2013 05:23 PM   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3199
Joined  2007-03-17

They are all different as Jake stated from the texture, softness and salt content which effects the fall rate.  I use a combination of hand pours, senkos and ochos.  No real reason for choosing one over the other just what I feel is going to be better for the day and I will experiment with fall rates to find the best one for the conditions.  If I’m fishing one behind a sinker I like the softer baits better tail action but if I’m fishing them wacky or weightless I will change up to find out what fall rate the fish prefer.

Signature 

Eat Sleep and Fish Skeeter

Posted: 23 April 2013 06:00 PM   [ # 12 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27
BORN2FISH001 - 23 April 2013 03:25 PM

Miller asked me the same question a couple weeks ago. My answer was, because I like to fish on my own terms. I like to go out and throw the lures I like to fish and catch a few fish, or if they are not biting I’ll go somewhere else or go home. I don’t like to fish all day and have to use something I am not comfortable because I HAVE to catch fish. I don’t like to fish under pressure, I like to fish to have fun.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 29 April 2013 10:24 AM   [ # 13 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  331
Joined  2010-12-09

I prefer the senkos because of the faster fall rate.  Some of the others take forever.

Signature 

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I’m dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Posted: 29 April 2013 06:49 PM   [ # 14 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  147
Joined  2012-03-18

Like others, I use the dingers due to price. I love them. Once they get torn up, I cut off a little bit of it and just fish a smaller version. They last a while.

Signature 

Posted: 29 April 2013 08:01 PM   [ # 15 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28
Kevin22 - 23 April 2013 06:00 PM
BORN2FISH001 - 23 April 2013 03:25 PM

Miller asked me the same question a couple weeks ago. My answer was, because I like to fish on my own terms. I like to go out and throw the lures I like to fish and catch a few fish, or if they are not biting I’ll go somewhere else or go home. I don’t like to fish all day and have to use something I am not comfortable because I HAVE to catch fish. I don’t like to fish under pressure, I like to fish to have fun.

that’s why I fish the way I do. it is fun for me, other ways are not.

Signature 

1 2 > 
1 of 2