The Reel Set Technique
Posted: 06 April 2013 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  331
Joined  2010-12-09

I was watching this, and KVD talks about reel setting.  I was wondering how many of you use this technique, and if you do what applications do you use it in?  I’m thinking this may help me increase my hookup rate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-jx8Qagnzg&list=WLF526B7B4DEBC9AC9

Signature 

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I’m dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Posted: 06 April 2013 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

All the time. Only time I don’t do it is when flipping, punching, and when a fish smacks a plastic on the top of the jig. Otherwise I just start cranking real quick and sweep the rod back. With a sharp hook you will get a hook in them with most baits.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 06 April 2013 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4192
Joined  2011-02-28

depends on when i feel the bite, if i feel it late like on a glass rod and mono line, fishing a crank or lipless, sometimes i don’t have much choice, but during the fight i will try to sweep set the hook a few times before i get it in. when i’m using braid and/or good graphite rods, i can feel the bite better and sooner and i never try to reel set. hard not to jerk a little on any bite for me but i have caught some just reeling real fast. others with more experience catching a lot more fish than me can probably give a better answer. i know i lose more fish reel setting than i do with a good, quick, hard hook set.

Signature 

Posted: 06 April 2013 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1866
Joined  2008-06-28

for me, it depends on what and where Im fishing

Signature 

“Formley Known As Miller Time”

Posted: 10 April 2013 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1832
Joined  2008-03-25

Drop shotting and open hook tubes all i use is a reel set, just keep the line tight and the hook will set itself

Signature 

when in doubt swing it

Posted: 10 April 2013 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3416
Joined  2008-11-12

I use the reel set every single time I set the hook and I have a spinning rod in my hands. I kind of use it when deep cranking as well. When I feel the resistance of the fish on a deep crank, I reel up till my rod loads and then pull back a lot harder than I would when reel setting with a spinning rod.

Signature 

Does sleeping with the fishes equate to basstiality? LOL LOL LOL

Posted: 11 April 2013 04:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04

I use a sweeping hook set on baits that have trebles. Baits with light wire hooks I will TRY to use a reel-set, especially football heads.

Signature 

Posted: 11 April 2013 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27
twitch - 11 April 2013 04:05 AM

Baits with light wire hooks I will TRY to use a reel-set, especially football heads.

From what I have heard from eye witness accounts, your hooksets could rip the lips off a buffalo!

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 11 April 2013 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1866
Joined  2008-06-28

well I dunno about ripping the lips off a buffalo. But he could boat a buffalo in shallow water in one motion

Signature 

“Formley Known As Miller Time”

Posted: 11 April 2013 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04
Kevin22 - 11 April 2013 10:28 AM
twitch - 11 April 2013 04:05 AM

Baits with light wire hooks I will TRY to use a reel-set, especially football heads.

From what I have heard from eye witness accounts, your hooksets could rip the lips off a buffalo!

I plead the 5th zipper

Signature 

‹‹ A Serious Addiction      OMFG! ››