Posted: 22 June 2013 10:59 AM
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

http://www.bassmaster.com/news/palaniuks-day-two-dqd

(copy and past into your browser)

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 22 June 2013 01:54 PM   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1808
Joined  2009-09-27

ouch. I was really gunning for him to win.

Posted: 22 June 2013 07:10 PM   [ # 2 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  213
Joined  2010-06-10
BORN2FISH001 - 22 June 2013 01:54 PM

ouch. I was really gunning for him to win.

That cull w/n 100 yards of the border, potentially cost him about $1,000 per yard…

Signature 

1. WHEN IN DOUBT…EMPTY THE MAGAZINE!
2. HAPPINESS IS A WARM MACHINE GUN!

Posted: 22 June 2013 07:34 PM   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1062
Joined  2010-07-26

Wow, what a shame.  I hate to hear that happened to him.  I liked Don’s letter of encouragement to him.  Hopefully he takes any positives he can from this and doesn’t let it drag him down too bad.

Posted: 23 June 2013 04:06 PM   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1866
Joined  2008-06-28

One thing I didn’t care for was Aaron marten’s attitude about it. Basically saying he was glad he wa dq’d cos he didn’t think he could beat him. What a blanketity cry baby. What ever happened to wanting to beat all comers a true competitive nature. I for one will be happy when he retires!!!

Signature 

“Formley Known As Miller Time”

Posted: 23 June 2013 10:33 PM   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1989
Joined  2009-02-17

Well Dinky, you can take solace in the fact Aaron did what Aaron does & choke it for 2nd. I hope his commenting about being glad he was DQ’d had some tongue in cheek delivery to it, because if you say it straight up, you’re a douche.

Signature 

Posted: 23 June 2013 11:36 PM   [ # 6 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28

Martens is a strange guy, supposedly he’s good friends with kvd. he has a real dry sense of humor and doesn’t care if people get his jokes. he’s a compulsive/obsessive about his fishing tackle and boat weight and such. I don’t particularly like the guy much either. he said some nasty stuff about some anglers in MLF competition, but a lot of guys did.

Signature 

Posted: 23 June 2013 11:39 PM   [ # 7 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-10

Dink & KCL…you both have your opinnons & I for one have mine…& I agree with you both 100%! LOL. If Martens was being serious, then he deserved to lose. If he was just making a joke or trying to give credit to the fact that Palanuik was just plain ole out fishing him; then that’s a different story. I see Palanuik, thus far, being a good kid and a really important addition to the sport. Especially seeing that he’s stayed humble…so far.

Signature 

Posted: 24 June 2013 08:33 AM   [ # 8 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

I don’t think this will bother Pal. much. he’s a young kid and he’ll just chalk it up as lesson learned. what I don’t like is the fact that some fan turned him in. isn’t there an official/observer in the boat that was supposed to do that? since he had already turned his weight in and had signed off on it, and it was accepted, case closed. IMO

Signature 

Posted: 24 June 2013 01:43 PM   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-28

Even better for me it was Biffle who beat him. Guess grandpa did what grandparents do…..the woodshed

Signature 

Posted: 24 June 2013 05:03 PM   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04

What, Im the only guy on here who’s an A-Mart fan?!? I aint skeer’d….....Ill admit it!
In all honesty, from what I hear through the Elite Series grapevine, BP should have been DQ’d after day 1. He was culling on the wrong side of the line, up to a mile back, on the first day. Based on what I know, 3 Elite guys saw him culling fish on the first day. He was approached by them and asked to tell the TD (Trip) what he had done. I don’t know how the conversation shook out, but one of the 3 pro’s saw BP culling again on day 2 and took matters into his own hands.
This is all second hand info, but I have a pretty reliable source.

Signature 

Posted: 24 June 2013 06:39 PM   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-28

For me the issue of BP is what it is. I dont care what sport you want to discuss you will always see guys push the limits of the rule book and once they go to far and get caught things like this happens. It is what it is, heck I’ll be the first to admit that if Id been a MLB ball player 10-20 years ago there is no doubt in my mind I would of been on the juice. The real issue for BP is how he responds to his mistake if he owns it, all will be good if he plays dumb then Id venture to guess sponsors will begin to fall.

The A-Mart ordeal is just my 2 cents. Seems to me all he does is cry and complain. However at the same time if I want to learn something and he’s got a video on it I’ll watch it he does a fine job explaining things for me. However, it seems like instead of grabbing the bull by the horns he looks for a reason not to and then blames everyone but himself.

Signature 

Posted: 24 June 2013 07:31 PM   [ # 12 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-10

I don’t have an issue with Martens as a person…YES…he’s very dry & does seem to moan, groan, whine, & whimper when things aren’t going his way…BUT…IMO, that just seems to be his way of reacting to stressful situations. I’m not sure if Marten’s was joking about the Palanuik DQ, but I don’t think that he was being spiteful. If he was, then that would’ve been pretty darn weak. All in all, Marten’s seems to be a good guy & an OUTSTANDING angler that I’d love to fish with & learn from. Only Martens’ knows if he was joking or giving a nod to Palanuik’s performance at the tournament.

Palanuik’s mistake or even his intentional culls is his own doing. If in fact he was made aware of his wrongs by 3 other pros, he should’ve at least checked the rules, his locations of the day’s culls, & if he was in the wrong…should’ve fessed up.

He’s young, I like the kid, he still seems humble, & I hope he bounces back from this.

Signature 

Posted: 30 June 2013 07:02 PM   [ # 13 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1060
Joined  2009-04-24

I’ve met Aaron, he’s really a nice guy. He’s really funny but he does it in a way you think he’s serious. I don’t think he would wish bad on anyone. He’s a great fisherman. you don’t come in 2nd as many times as he has not to be. If I could fish with anyone other than KVD ( which i would give anything to do) I would like to fish with him. I think you could learn a lot. I would also like to fish with Ike, Swindle, and Denny.  BH

Posted: 01 July 2013 02:06 AM   [ # 14 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

My hearing is not so good anymore and the way Martens slurs his words and talks under his breath, it would be hard for me to hear and understand him. like I said, he has a dry sense of humor that everyone doesn’t get.

Signature 

Posted: 01 July 2013 09:41 AM   [ # 15 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1835
Joined  2008-03-26

After watching the show this weekend, I can see how he thought he was in Wisconsin. But with the electronics these guys have and the mapping, gps ect. There is no way he should have made that mistake.

Signature 

when in doubt swing it

1 2 > 
1 of 2