Baitcast 2 bearing
Posted: 01 July 2013 04:12 PM
Bass
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  97
Joined  2013-06-17

Hey guys i bought a house about 3 months ago and inside one of the cabinets was a bass pro shop name brand baitcast reel that only has 2 ball bearings. I’ve tried adjusting it and throwing it but this thing throws terrible. Is there anyway to adjust this reel that you guys know of???

Signature 

I got a big one grab the net!!!! Ohhhh wait i’m just hung again

Posted: 01 July 2013 05:33 PM   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

You can play with it for a week straight and you probably won’t get it to work well. It’s just the nature of the beast, you get what you pay for with baitcasters. A 2BB baitcaster is very low on the list.

It’s tough to hear, I know. But you could always use it for big baits, something like heavy weighted worms (1/2oz+) or big heavy spinnerbaits. Things like that do not need a very good reel to cast.

One suggestion, take off the side plate and inside the side plate you will see a bearing. Put a drop of reel oil in there. Pull the spool out and you will probably see another bearing on the inside. Put another drop in there. Put it back together and give it another shot. Sometimes they get fouled up with dust/dirt.

Otherwise, if this is your first baitcaster… don’t give up! Save some pennies and eventually buy yourself a reel in the $100 range. I know it sounds like a lot of money, but it will last you YEARS of fun and will make casting so much easier. Even a fairly new model used reel from the $100+ class would be a wise purchase. Check forums like this one, bassresource, bassboatcentral, and various others for for a good deal on a used reel.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 01 July 2013 05:49 PM   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  420
Joined  2012-01-14

It might have ball bearings in the reel somewhere but not on the spool shaft.  Bushings were still being used as recently as 10 years ago and do require regular lubrication.

Also when it comes to bearings, it’s the quality that counts, not the number of bearings.  You could always hop the reel up with some aftermarket ball bearings.

Posted: 02 July 2013 03:42 AM   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28

yo KBerry, there was a reason it was left behind. clean and oil and give it a try. you can find cleaning instructions on you tube. most baitcast reels are basically the same. most have 2 or 3 bearings on the spool, left plate and some have on the spool tensioner. clean the worm gear up good and lube it also. Good Luck don’t use to much oil, just a drop is enough. more lube here is not better.

Signature 

Posted: 02 July 2013 10:33 AM   [ # 4 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-06-17

Thanks guys i’ve tried pretty much all of that. I have about 6 or 7 other baitcast reels I was just trying to see if there were any tips or secrets maybe I was missing on these with the 2 bearings…...Not real sure why they ever made something that throws so poorly but then again i guess its for the guys that just want to have a cheap reel to use.

Signature 

Posted: 02 July 2013 04:57 PM   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28

10-20 years ago, the low profile reels were horrible compared to the last 5 years or so standards. the reels are so good now, there are no excuses for not being able to use a baitcast reel. I know, I taught myself how to throw one 4 years ago.

The bearings are probably shot and need new ones. Check out BocaBearings.com to see if they have a bearing that will work for that reel.

Signature 

Posted: 02 July 2013 08:27 PM   [ # 6 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1060
Joined  2009-04-24

give it to a kid. great reel to learn with.  BH

Posted: 03 July 2013 08:54 AM   [ # 7 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-06-17

Very true CincySid I know when i first started throwing them back about 8-10 years ago it was nothing but backlash after backlash but now they are so smooth and easy to throw I love them. Even those its still hard to beat a spinning reel. BH i very well may do that. I have a friends cousin who is wanting a new reel and he is wanting to learn how to throw a baitcast. It may not throw very far but it’ll teach him how at least.

Signature 

Posted: 04 July 2013 06:20 AM   [ # 8 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  420
Joined  2012-01-14

The bearings are probably shot.  You get get what you pay for except for cast-ability and performance.  You can pay a trillion dollars for a baitcaster and then turn around and find a $60 reel that casts just as well.  Durability and longevity are where you get some returns for your investment when blowing big bucks on a reel.

The BPS reels offer great performance (when new) but suck when it comes to durability and longevity.  I bet the bearings are toast and that it’s not worth throwing new bearings at the reel when you can turn around and pick up a Pfluger Templar for the dame cost as a set of Boca bearings.  If you have some extra bearing or bushing kicking around then it’s worth hot rodding the reel for kicks, but not worth spending a dime.