Bitter Sweet Find
Posted: 20 July 2013 04:46 PM
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1866
Joined  2008-06-28

Stopped at a local shop today looking for punch weights. Hadnt been in their in a few months. Pull up to the store and they have a going out of buisness sale. I asked, and its nothing more than the old man that runs the shop wants to retire. I do beleive the recent lack of firearms and supplies retailers have been able to offer has kept anyone else from stepping up and buying the buisness. The store has always been a little high, but its nice to support local mom and pop shops imo.

My find….A Quantum Dean Rojas 7’ MH(red one), 8 spro bronzeyes and 2 spro poppers. All for roughly $130 I would of bought more spro’s but I took what they had left. The wife and the boy picked up several new baits as well, the coolest was the wife. She had found a small Yumbrella dont rember the actual size or name but it says its recommened for ponds and other small bodies of waters. I asked where she got it and she got the last one, looks like I got some sweet talking to do. The oldest boy got about 10 packs of small 1” grubs for the small pond behind the house. The wife almost got a Shimano baitcaster which I had to support and put on a poker face because she has a combo coming for her b-day. If she would of ended up getting it though it’d be ok by me. She asked me while we was in the store if she can start catching fish without having to ask me alot of questions and we get a fish and ski next tax time if we could fish tournaments together….RIGHT ON!!!!!

Signature 

“Formley Known As Miller Time”

Posted: 20 July 2013 06:29 PM   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1060
Joined  2009-04-24

yea BPS has closed down a few of our mom and pop shops. Walmart is putting a hurting on them too. My Walmart carries high end rods to reels and all kinds of baits. They are priced just under BPS. one thing i like about BPS ( well not just one thing because I love the place) is the reward card. I had enough money saved on it to buy a $100 rod and a $140 quantum reel without shelling out a dollar. It was a good feeling to walk out with a nice set up and not spending a penny. Although I spent $100 of my own money on more line, baits and a new tackle bag. lol But then I was adding on more reward points for the next free rod and reel. lol BH

Posted: 21 July 2013 06:40 AM   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28

Wow, Dink, it was aces all around, what a great day, why don’t you buy that store? my Wal-Mart here carries a few Vendetta rods, but the rest of the stuff is Shakespeare combo paks and zebco combos. rest of the stuff is just a few small cranks and top waters and some spinnerbaits, terminal tackle and BG line and cheap junk line and that’s it.

Signature 

Posted: 21 July 2013 06:54 AM   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-24

i know, i’ve been in other Walmarts that dont have half as much as the one in Davie has. They have high dollar rods from KVD, skeet reese, to Falcons.  BH

Posted: 21 July 2013 07:12 AM   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28

nothing like that here, mostly just cheap junk, its what the illegal aliens fish with, I see it all the time. pig tail line and big red and white baseball size bobber they can cast 20 feet.

Signature 

Posted: 21 July 2013 09:43 AM   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-28

Ours has some nicer stuff but not alot. Several diffrent abu rods, kvd, skeet, falcon. Even have a Lew’s spinning combo, damn 2 peice rod!!!

Signature 

Posted: 21 July 2013 01:06 PM   [ # 6 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-24

where do u live Dink?  BH

Posted: 21 July 2013 05:28 PM   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-28

Southern Indiana

Signature 

Posted: 21 July 2013 05:48 PM   [ # 8 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-24

what lakes do u fish? do u fish from the bank or do u have a boat?  BH

Posted: 21 July 2013 06:35 PM   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-28

mostly small local lakes lately been fishing stanfield alot bought to start back on scottsburg res and starve hallow. I always enjoy’d elk creek but the fish are small but a beautiful lake imo and of course dink lake.

been bank fishing mostly but the new jon is fun and it makes stanfield alot easier to fish.

Signature 

Posted: 22 July 2013 11:47 AM   [ # 10 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  104
Joined  2009-01-17

We still have a mom and pop Bait and Tackle store in Bessemer, Alabama. I have bought from them in the past when I worked out that way. I think they have been able to stay in business , they have a repair service for reels and rods.

Posted: 22 July 2013 08:58 PM   [ # 11 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-24

i have one left near my home but they are a dollar more than BPS on most of their stuff. No rewards card, it’s hard to buy from them and not BP or Walmart. Really sucks because I wanted to be loyal but I spend a lot of money and now a days every dollar counts. BH

Posted: 23 July 2013 04:24 PM   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3199
Joined  2007-03-17

Sweet find on the Rojas rod, been looking for one myself.  For some reason that rod goes quick around here.

Signature 

Eat Sleep and Fish Skeeter

Posted: 23 July 2013 10:56 PM   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04
quantum-man - 23 July 2013 04:24 PM

Sweet find on the Rojas rod, been looking for one myself.  For some reason that rod goes quick around here.

I have one. Ill let you know if I decide to sell it. May be doing an inventory shift this year.

Signature 

‹‹ Loomis GL2 rods      Best reel for money?? ››