1 2 3 >  Last ›
1 of 5
Best reel for money??
Posted: 21 July 2013 08:54 PM
Bass
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  97
Joined  2013-06-17

Hey guys I was wondering what is your opinion on best baitcast reel for the money? Also do you have a preference on gear ratio and ball bearings?

Signature 

I got a big one grab the net!!!! Ohhhh wait i’m just hung again

Posted: 21 July 2013 09:21 PM   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1866
Joined  2008-06-28

IMO, there is no 1 sure fire reel here. I think so many are cookie cutters with just minor diffrences between brands. Basically its all about finding what feels best to you in your preferred price range. I personaly have used Quantum Energys, Abu Revo’s, BPS Pro Q’s, Wright & McGill Skeets, and currently use Lew’s. I feel the Lew’s are the best for me, I like the way the reel feels in my hand from size, weight to the finish. I currently use the $99.99 Speed Spool and honestly I like it just as much as my old E7xx’s and Revo’s(only compairing the Lew’s to those because of the diffrence in price point).

As far as gear ratio go I love a 7.x:x all I own right now, but I do plan on picking up 1 or 2 in 6.4 and possibly 5.1 before next season.

Signature 

“Formley Known As Miller Time”

Posted: 21 July 2013 10:20 PM   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1989
Joined  2009-02-17

The OEM reels(Abu, Lews, BPS) are the best for the money IMO, a lot of bang for your buck. Gear ratio any slack line presentation I want as much line pickup as possible(9.0:1 37 IPT Revo Rocket is gonna be my first new reel in a while), fast moving baits without a whole lot of resistance 6.x:1, & heavy resistance or moving baits I want to move slower 5.x:1.  I gave gear ratios, but pay more attention to the inches per turn & if you’re looking to crank bigger baits, look for a bigger than standard handle.

Signature 

Posted: 22 July 2013 08:33 AM   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1703
Joined  2009-07-07

The Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier is a really solid reel for the money, especially if you can find them on sale for $79. I have a couple more expensive Revos, but the majority of the bait casters I use are Pro Q’s.

Signature 

Hope you catch your biggest bass ever on your next fishing trip.

Posted: 22 July 2013 09:13 AM   [ # 4 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-06-17

i’m Looking at 2 BPS Qualifier’s right now probably gonna end up being around $80 for both of them.

Signature 

Posted: 22 July 2013 11:35 AM   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28

I have average sized hands and the reels that fit me better are the BPS Extreme, Abu Revos, the best are the KVD signature reels, they fit me like a glove and are silky smooth. can get them for only 20 or 30 bucks more than the PQ’s, if you really look around. but all the reels I have mentioned are quality reels. I like the BPS Extreme better than PQ’s because they just fit my hand better and they weigh less.

As far as gear ratio, 6.X:1 is the workhorse and all around good ratio. for deep cranks and any baits that create a lot of drag like a big bladed spinnerbait or umbrella rig go with 5.X:1. for times you need speed, like flippin or for frogs or topwater, 7.X:1 is best. Good luck

For the money if you can get 10 or more hybrid or shielded or non corrosive bearings the better the reel usually is. you can feel the difference between a 10 bearing reel as opposed to a 7 bearing reel like a PQ, but you pay for the extra bearings, Quantum KVD signature are the best reels out there for the money, IMO, all the ones I have, and I have 4 or 5 now, are at least 10 bearings and under $140.

Signature 

Posted: 22 July 2013 12:06 PM   [ # 6 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3416
Joined  2008-11-12

Any of the Lews reels are far and away the best reels for the money IMO. The Tourny Pro, Tourny Speed Spool, and the Speed Spool are the big 3 out of their lineup. Go on Ebay and you can get them at some good prices. I would also take a look at the Daiwa Lexas. they are some mighty fine reels for the money. You can get them for just under $100 on Ebay.

Signature 

Does sleeping with the fishes equate to basstiality? LOL LOL LOL

Posted: 22 July 2013 01:01 PM   [ # 7 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

I know you like the Lews Jake as do several do on this site, but I have a Daiwa Lexus and I don’t care for it.

I was trying to keep him in the price range he was looking for $100 or less, for less than $100 I’d go with the BPS Extreme.

$100 to $140 I’d go with the Quantum Kvd Signatures. you get what you pay for. if you want a smooth reel that is durable and stays smooth a long time, go with a higher priced reel, they just got better bearings. I learned that myself.

it is also important to keep it clean an lubed. One of these days i’m going to get a Lews tourney pro, probably in the next few months, or a ABU premier.

Signature 

Posted: 22 July 2013 01:12 PM   [ # 8 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3416
Joined  2008-11-12
CincySid - 22 July 2013 01:01 PM

I know you like the Lews Jake as do several do on this site, but I have a Daiwa Lexus and I don’t care for it.

I was trying to keep him in the price range he was looking for $100 or less, for less than $100 I’d go with the BPS Extreme.

$100 to $140 I’d go with the Quantum Kvd Signatures. you get what you pay for. if you want a smooth reel that is durable and stays smooth a long time, go with a higher priced reel, they just got better bearings. I learned that myself.

it is also important to keep it clean an lubed. One of these days i’m going to get a Lews tourney pro, probably in the next few months, or a ABU premier.

What don’t you like about the Lexa?

Signature 

Does sleeping with the fishes equate to basstiality? LOL LOL LOL

Posted: 22 July 2013 03:07 PM   [ # 9 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
LilJakeC - 22 July 2013 01:12 PM
CincySid - 22 July 2013 01:01 PM

What don’t you like about the Lexa?

Well, the claim was it was supposed to cast light lures better than other reels. which was what I wanted. When I got mine, I spooled it up with 10 lb test Silver Thread and put it on my bait cast rod, tied on a kvd 1.5 and went to the pond. it casted terrible. I had cleaned it and oiled it before I went so I knew that wasn’t the problem. I got less distance than other reels I was using before and it back lashed more and wasn’t real smooth. maybe I got a bad one but it just wasn’t up to the standards of $140 reel. for one it should have DBS for that price. I tried it with several different brands, tests and types of line, nothing worked real well. I also re-cleaned and lubed it and tried it again, no change.  I got it boxed up and put away with other spare reels I never use. I feel it was a waste of money. I was hoping it would be my cranking reel. I’m going to get it out again and see if I can figure out the problem. I would be happy if it just worked better for anything.

Update: I took it out, took it apart, cleaned it and lubed it again, put it back together and reeled and reeled and reeled and reeled some more. it seems smoother now and reels with less effort.  maybe it was just the bearings needed broken in more. i’m going to spool it up and try it again. I still think for $140 it should have DBS. I have a REVO SX that reacts the same way, if this works for the LEXA, i’ll try it on the SX.

Signature 

Posted: 22 July 2013 09:06 PM   [ # 10 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1060
Joined  2009-04-24

i only use quantums, they fit my hand just right and I always get the highest ratio 7.3.1 my thought is if I need to slow roll something I just reel slow but I want speed when I need it. Might sound crazy but it works for me. I must have 50 baitcasters. My spinner reels are BPS Q. except for two wave spinners I got from Doug Hannon last year at Icast.  BH

Posted: 23 July 2013 12:18 AM   [ # 11 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
Buckethead Lure - 22 July 2013 09:06 PM

i only use quantums, they fit my hand just right and I always get the highest ratio 7.3.1 my thought is if I need to slow roll something I just reel slow but I want speed when I need it. Might sound crazy but it works for me. I must have 50 baitcasters. My spinner reels are BPS Q. except for two wave spinners I got from Doug Hannon last year at Icast.  BH

right or left handed reels, BH?

Signature 

Posted: 23 July 2013 09:06 AM   [ # 12 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-06-17

wanna sell any of those baitcasters smile haha

Signature 

Posted: 23 July 2013 10:05 AM   [ # 13 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1335
Joined  2008-04-06

Not sure of what “for the money” means but I’ll tell you….I have never used any reel as durable or dependable as the Shimano Calcutta.  It’s not everyone’s “cup of tea” however as it’s a round baitcaster.  But for my money, it’s the absolute KING. 
For a low profile reel I like the Revo STX but have only had them2 years now so the jury is still out on these.  They are not too bad though.

I think like many things, reels are application specific. You buy what works for the job you need it to do.  Me??....I need a reel that can handle a 2 pound smallie all the way up to a 56” Muskie.  That Muskie would destroy most bass reels so I buy durable , tough reels.
For someone only catching 4-7 pound Largemouths…I’d say any quality reel from a reputable manufacturer would work great.

Good luck

Signature 

“Is this Heaven ?....no it’s Minnesota.  That’s funny, I could have sworn it was Heaven”

Posted: 23 July 2013 12:47 PM   [ # 14 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  104
Joined  2009-01-17

Shimano Citica. I have a couple that are in their 8th year and still going strong. I agree about the Calcutta, absolutely a great reel. I learned to cast with round reels back in the 50’s , direct drives. My first 5000 was heaven.

Posted: 23 July 2013 01:16 PM   [ # 15 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  2009-03-08
Jim H - 23 July 2013 12:47 PM

Shimano Citica. I have a couple that are in their 8th year and still going strong. I agree about the Calcutta, absolutely a great reel. I learned to cast with round reels back in the 50’s , direct drives. My first 5000 was heaven.

X2. Majority of my reels are Citicas. Solid and dependable. I haven’t tried he G series. I have the D and E. I’m partial the centrifigual pins for braking.

1 2 3 >  Last ›
1 of 5