i reel with my right hand but i cast with my left hand. BH

Me too!!!!!

Signature 

Posted: 24 July 2013 08:55 AM   [ # 18 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  97
Joined  2013-06-17

So i bought a KVD Quantam last night for $60 brand new in box from a guy. Hope it throws like i expect it to and i’m fully sure it will. I told my cousin about it who fishes/races for a living and he was asking is it for worms,flipping, or frog. Since i’m new to this what is the difference in a reel set up for each of them? This reel is a 7:3:1 with 10 BB in it. The guy I bought it from said he would normally use it for worms or flipping.

Signature 

I got a big one grab the net!!!! Ohhhh wait i’m just hung again

Posted: 24 July 2013 02:48 PM   [ # 19 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28
kberry4320 - 24 July 2013 08:55 AM

So i bought a KVD Quantam last night for $60 brand new in box from a guy. Hope it throws like i expect it to and i’m fully sure it will. I told my cousin about it who fishes/races for a living and he was asking is it for worms,flipping, or frog. Since i’m new to this what is the difference in a reel set up for each of them? This reel is a 7:3:1 with 10 BB in it. The guy I bought it from said he would normally use it for worms or flipping.

yes and also for frogs, reason being if you get a bite flippin or frogging, you want to reel the bait in as fast as you can and get the cast back out there. so you have a guy, being in a box doesn’t make it new but if you are happy with it, all good.

for setting up the brakes on the reel, go to you tube and watch videos on how to tune a baitcast reel and go from there. Every bait you tie on, you have to re-tune the brakes of the reel for that bait. once you do it a few times, you’ll get the hang of it. Also, educate your thumb so that is automatically falls on the spool just before the lure hits the water. it stops a lot of back lashes! Good Luck. I like those reels also! I would be a little leery about buying that reel for $60 though.

Signature 

Posted: 24 July 2013 09:13 PM   [ # 20 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1060
Joined  2009-04-24

that’s a good reel and a great price. I have a bunch of them. I think you’ll like it. let us know how it goes. BH

Posted: 25 July 2013 12:41 PM   [ # 21 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-06-17

It’s bad to say I got it from a small mom and pop tackle place going out of business that’s why it was so cheap. What is the differences in a flipping reel and just a regular reel? I’ve had a few people say oh that’ll be a Great reel for worms spinners or maybe frog but it’s not gonna be a good flipping reel? Thought you could do pretty much anything you wanted to do with any reel? Maybe I’m wrong I dunno.

Signature 

Posted: 25 July 2013 02:35 PM   [ # 22 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

many reels are multi-purpose reels. a good 6.X:1 reel can be used for just about everything. 7.X:1 reels are needed for techniques where you need speed. If you hook a bass in heavy weeds, or heavy cover, you want a blazing fast reel to get it up and out of there before he wraps you up and breaks you off. Like flipping, pitching, frogging, Carolina rigs etc….., any technique where you need to get the fish away from trouble quickly or need to move the bait quickly is good for the really fast reels. 6.X:1 reels are good for spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, jerk baits, topwater poppers and spooks, twitch baits, squarebill cranks, lipless cranks, etc…. 5.X:1 are for deep cranks with the big lips, heavy slow rolled spinnerbaits, big swimbait, Alabama rigs, anything that is heavy or creates a lot of drag you need the power and not so much the speed.

This is just an idea, nothing is etched in stone, every fisherman has his favorite techniques and will use the setups he likes best for those techniques, you can use a 7.X:1 for deep cranks if you want but you will defeat the purpose by getting it out of the strike zone to quick, and you will be wore out in a couple of hours from reeling a deep crank with that reel, it just doesn’t have the power of a 5.X:1 reel and a deep crank will feel like you have a brick tied on after a few casts.

I would suggest to start, get you quality baitcast of each reel, 5.X:1, 6.X:1, 7.X:1, and get 2 good spinning setups and you should be good for just about any techniques. once you get a little experience, you will know more what fits your style and the equipment you need to fish it effectively. hope this helps a little.

Read, read, read, watch videos on you tube and BPS free videos on their website, fishing mags. the pros will tell you the equipment they are using and why. use your computer like a fishing guide, ask it to show you what you need and how to fish it and why. there are so many good online resources and I use them all constantly. its gratifying to read about something, then try it and see it work where you did the research, and the work all on your own.

Signature 

Posted: 25 July 2013 03:10 PM   [ # 23 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-06-17

Thanks that helps out a ton. I know in race cars/street cars you can turn the tires over and figure out what gear ratio you have compared to drive shaft spinning. Is there anyway you can do that on reels? I have a baitcast reel its probably a good 15 years old still throws great. I primarily use it with my worms and seems to work great. I’m curious to see what gear ratio it is so I can try and buy another reel like it since this one is finally starting to give me some problems every 30-40 cast.

Also I’m looking at buy an Abu Garcia Black max 2 reels. Do you have any experience or advise on them? I can get them for around $30 each. If they aren’t worth having i’ll just go ahead and find something with a 5 or 6 gear ratio since the KVD quantum i just bought is 7:0:1

Signature 

Posted: 25 July 2013 04:31 PM   [ # 24 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

research your 15 year old reel on the internet, maybe you will get lucky and find something. it probably needs new bearings you can try boca bearings and maybe they will have some. as far as messing with the gear ratio on it, I wouldn’t touch that with a 10 foot pole. have you cleaned and lubed it recently? if not a good cleaning and lubing may help a lot.

you would be better off buying one quality reel as opposed to 2 lesser reels. I have a black max and you can definitely tell they are not up to the quality of better reels, if you want to stay in the Max, section of ABU, go with their top of the line MAX, Pro Max. and I would buy it in a 6.X:1, because it is a more versatile reel. I think the majority of fishermen that have a lot of baitcast reels, they will have more 6.X:1 than any other gear ratio. so go with that since you have a 7.X:1 already. In reels, the old adage of you get what you pay for comes true. Normally the more bearings the smoother it will be and also more durable.

once you throw that KVD Quantum you have, you won’t be satisfied with anything less than that. $60 for that reel was a steal!!!!if they had 10, I would buy them all at that price. if you have an ebay account, you can buy good reels for cheap there.

Signature 

Posted: 25 July 2013 04:38 PM   [ # 25 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-06-17

They have more of those reels left so i’m going to try this one first hopefully this weekend then if they are as good as everybody say’s i’ll probably end up buying a few more of them. I’d really perfer a better reel just wasn’t quite sure about the black max i’ve heard mixed reviews on them and with that being said i’ll let these 2 go and just buy another Quantum most likely.

I missed a good one on ebay a few minutes ago. KVD Quantum reel supposed to be brand new never used with Accurist Baitcast Rod it sold for $56 plus the 20 dollar shipping. That would’ve been great to have there.

Signature 

Posted: 25 July 2013 04:47 PM   [ # 26 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
kberry4320 - 25 July 2013 04:38 PM

They have more of those reels left so i’m going to try this one first hopefully this weekend then if they are as good as everybody say’s i’ll probably end up buying a few more of them. I’d really perfer a better reel just wasn’t quite sure about the black max i’ve heard mixed reviews on them and with that being said i’ll let these 2 go and just buy another Quantum most likely.

I missed a good one on ebay a few minutes ago. KVD Quantum reel supposed to be brand new never used with Accurist Baitcast Rod it sold for $56 plus the 20 dollar shipping. That would’ve been great to have there.

yes that kvd outfit would have been great, there will be more. try to get as much quality for your money. like I said before if you can get 3 baitcast setups in the 3 gear ratios, and 2 spinning set-us that are quality rod and reels, you can fish about any technique. so strive for that first then you can add on later if you want.

For a guideline, in baitcasting a 7’ MH, fast rod and a 6.X:1 reel is the best set-up you can use for multiple techniques. Probably i’m going to be selling off some stuff in the next 7 or 8 months.

Signature 

Posted: 25 July 2013 04:52 PM   [ # 27 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-06-17

I’ve got 2 great spinning reels i’m just now getting serious and seeing why its nice to use the baitcast reel. I actually perfer my spinning reel for my frog more than I do my baitcast. I guess its because when needed I can make the frog splash on impact better/easier with my spinning reel instead of my baitcast. I’m looking at a KVD Quantum now that is 6:3:1 ratio 10BB i’m ready to see these Quantum’s in action. Just have to get rod’s now. I’ve been using the Ugly Stick’s but feel like I need to change to something else also need to figure out what length rod to go with. I’ve been using manly 6’6 rods but not sure if that is the right length or not ?

Signature 

Posted: 25 July 2013 05:27 PM   [ # 28 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

rods are so subjective just like reels, it all depends on how much money you have to spend. Berkley Shocks are around 50 bucks, on ebay probably less. I like 7’ rods spinning and casting. there are just so many good rods out there it just depends on how much you want to spend. I use some ugly stiks but I use the ugly stik lites, they are a blend of glass and graphite, much lighter and a little more stiff but the tips are glass so you get the whippyness from the tip for long casts you need.

If I had to chose one rod to fish everything with, I would chose the Cabela’s Tourney Trail baitcasting and spinning, SPLIT GRIP, for accuracy get 6’6”, for distance get 7’ M and MH, fast rods. I just love these rods. they are light, strong, sensitive and cast great and they cost $65. they have a sale on these rods at Cabela’s 2 or 3 times a year for less than $50. for heavy cover jigs, worms, creature baits, were you need to get them out of the slop or trees or where you need power go with the 7’ H, fast

I use a spinning outfit for like the horny toads or small hollow frogs but if they get you in the slop, you’ll break a rod or 2 getting them out, once you do that a couple of times, you will switch to baitcasting set-up real quick.

if you have between 100-200 per rod to spend, these guys can tell you what to get. I spend more on reels than I do rods. some guys send more on rods than they do reels. but for the way I fish I do fine with the less expensive rods. I don’t have any rod that costs $100. 6’6” ugly stik LITE is a good all around rod. Spinnerbaits is my go to lure. I like a medium rod for 1/2 oz spinnerbaits or less. 7’ M, fast Tourney Trail rod is perfect for the way I fish spinnerbaits. like I said, it all depends on how you fish or want to fish, and how much money you have to spend

what i should have done from the start which I didn’t, hindsight is 20-20, I should done what I said you should do. 3 quality baitcast setups, rods and reels and 2 quality spinning setups rods and reels, now I have 30 set-ups I never use. i’m getting ready to chuck em all and just buy 2 or 3 quality setups for surf fishing.

Signature 

Posted: 25 July 2013 07:24 PM   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1866
Joined  2008-06-28

There is for a fact alot of good rods in almost every price range. The higher the price the nicer the rod. So my suggestion just like the reels is decide how much you want to spend. From there you can go forward. Right now Simmons Sporting Goods over on eBay have Quantum Energy rods for $40 plus $18 shipping think they combine shipping up to 3 or 4 rods. I have owned these rods, and they are nice with a orginal sticker price of $99.99 I owned I think 4 of them. No real reason for the swap other than that darn bait monkey. Might also take into consideration Tackle Warehouse’s free shipping, might allow your $75 budget to reach into the $100 range seeing that rods can run anywhere from $15-$25 to ship. Another great thing to do for rods is check the boards, doesnt matter if its here, bbc or another forum all together, just do your homework and dont give your money to the first guy you see.

Signature 

“Formley Known As Miller Time”

Posted: 25 July 2013 08:26 PM   [ # 30 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

Black max 2 are good reels. $30 cant be beat.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›
2 of 5