3 of 5
Best reel for money??
Posted: 25 July 2013 08:29 PM   [ # 31 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1866
Joined  2008-06-28
Kevin22 - 25 July 2013 08:26 PM

Black max 2 are good reels. $30 cant be beat.

Ive had my fair share of those myself.

Signature 

“Formley Known As Miller Time”

Posted: 26 July 2013 04:49 AM   [ # 32 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28

I wouldn’t call the Black Max good reels, they are ok, lots of reels for $20 more are better. when I got a bass in the weeds, I would rather have a better reel than a BM on my rod, that’s for sure.

Signature 

Posted: 26 July 2013 08:42 AM   [ # 33 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  97
Joined  2013-06-17

I know what you mean there. I lost a nice bass yesterday in the weeds having a cheap reel. Got off in the weeds and didn’t have the power to pull him out. It was a 4-6lbs bass nothing huge but was gonna be a nice catch for that lake.

Signature 

I got a big one grab the net!!!! Ohhhh wait i’m just hung again

Posted: 26 July 2013 09:41 AM   [ # 34 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27
CincySid - 26 July 2013 04:49 AM

I wouldn’t call the Black Max good reels, they are ok, lots of reels for $20 more are better. when I got a bass in the weeds, I would rather have a better reel than a BM on my rod, that’s for sure.

Ever try a black max 2 cincy? Obviously not if you think they are cheap and wont work In heavy cover. Name some $50 reels that are better than the black max TWO.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 26 July 2013 11:40 AM   [ # 35 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
Kevin22 - 26 July 2013 09:41 AM

Ever try a black max 2 cincy? Obviously not if you think they are cheap and wont work In heavy cover. Name some $50 reels that are better than the black max TWO.

for one the silver max is better and so is the BPS extreme, bps Nitro Tournament Z all are around $20 more than a BM. he just bought a Quantum KVD, why would he want to downgrade from that to a BM. I was trying get him to realize you get what you pay for in reels, since he got a quality reel, keep buying them. he would be disappointed in the BM after throwing the kvd, so look for something better. I have a BM. I don’t know if it is a 1,2,3 or infinity and don’t really care, its at the bottom of my unused reels pile, as I said it is an ok reel but I would want something better on my rod with a fish hooked in heavy weeds or cover than a BM. so OBVIOUSLY you didn’t realize what I was getting at.

Signature 

Posted: 28 July 2013 12:47 PM   [ # 36 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1060
Joined  2009-04-24

all my reels are KVD’s. for the money I believe they r the best but on the other hand I never really used any other reel to compare them to. So I should just shut up. lol lol I do like the KVD’s though. BH

Posted: 28 July 2013 01:14 PM   [ # 37 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-27
CincySid - 26 July 2013 11:40 AM
Kevin22 - 26 July 2013 09:41 AM

for one the silver max is better and so is the BPS extreme, bps Nitro Tournament Z all are around $20 more than a BM. he just bought a Quantum KVD, why would he want to downgrade from that to a BM. I was trying get him to realize you get what you pay for in reels, since he got a quality reel, keep buying them. he would be disappointed in the BM after throwing the kvd, so look for something better. I have a BM. I don’t know if it is a 1,2,3 or infinity and don’t really care, its at the bottom of my unused reels pile, as I said it is an ok reel but I would want something better on my rod with a fish hooked in heavy weeds or cover than a BM. so OBVIOUSLY you didn’t realize what I was getting at.

Silver max is $60 retail
BPS extreme is $90 retail
BPS nitro Tourn Z is $60 retail

So I ask again, name some $50 reels that are better than the black max two?

I know exactly what you were getting at, I just do not agree with it. There will be very little difference between the KVD and the black max unless you are making 30yd+ casts and using weightless baits. Learn to dial in a reel and use it correctly, match it with the proper rod, and you will be amazed at what a $50 black max can do. If you just buy it, spool it up, set the spool tension and try to cast a mile to get to the middle of the lake, you will think it is junk.

Ike did a video a while back when he switched to abu that talked about the “cheap” reels. He essentially showed that for 90% of applications you do not need a top of the line 12bb reel. I cant remember what reel he was using, but it was black. Either the pro max or the black max. Probably the pro. But still, the same concept applies. Learn your reel and you can make due with “junk”. I personally fish with “junk” (old energys) and with some cleaning, the right tuning, and the proper rod they work perfectly.

I’m not saying a more expensive reel is not a better reel, I’m saying a black max is a nice reel and will be fine for most fishing scenarios. I would not pass them up for $30, nor would I pay retail for them ($50). For $10-20 more than retail you can get a better reel, but for $30 the black max cannot be beat.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 28 July 2013 02:47 PM   [ # 38 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

Black Max is $50 retail so you just did in the silver max and BPS Nitro. those are way better than the BM. I’m just saying is if you have Revo STX’s and go to a BM,  you would be happy with the BM? no, no one would. I never said they were junk, for the 3rd time I’m saying they are ok reels. But in a tough fishing scenario, I would rather have one of my Revo STX’s or KVD’s on my rod than the BM. Geez, get over it. if you like BM’s good for you! I have a BM and have tried it and its now in the unused reel pile, because I do have better reels. I got SM’s in the unused pile, they are spares. if you think a BM is junk and can make due, more power to you. My next reel will be a Revo Premier or a Lews Tourney Pro Speed Spool, if you want to buy another BM, go for it.

I’m just saying after the Quantum KVD he won’t like a BM, so why encourage him to buy something he won’t like no matter what it costs? Even if it is $30 on a deal.

BM is $50 retail and you said the Silver Max and the BPS Nitro Tourney Z’s are both $60 retail. So that is 2 reels by your own research that proves my point. I go by retail and not what deal you can find because you can’t find deals like that all the time. If you can buy a Silver MAX or a BPS Extreme or Nitro Z for $40 those would be deals also right? So you would buy the no deal BM for $50 over them right? I have all these reels so I can compare. 20-30 bucks difference doesn’t mean much to me. I know what I like and don’t like.

can’t mix deals you can find with retail to make a fair comparison. so stick with what you know is fact.

Signature 

Posted: 28 July 2013 03:18 PM   [ # 39 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-27

Wasnt it two years ago when you were here asking questions trying to learn how to fish? You sure have learned a lot in the two years you have been bass fishing. Guess my 15+ years means nothing because you have learned so much off the internet that you are now an expert on all reels and what everyone will like.

Signature 

Posted: 28 July 2013 04:32 PM   [ # 40 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

you have proved my point about the reels comparison, thanks. I have these reels and I’ve learned from experience by using these reels. He asked my opinion, I have that reel and I gave him my opinion. I also have the other reels and imo they are better. I’ve learned how I want to fish, not how you or anyone else fishes. I’ve caught some big bass for being this far north, bigger than you, I have nothing to be ashamed of. i’m happy with my equipment and how I fish and that was my goal from the start. If a guy asks a question I can answer, I will. if you don’t agree, fine. if you don’t like it go to another forum. you don’t have to personally attack me, just because you don’t agree.

maybe you should get back into the internet and find someone else to pick on. Oh and by the way he agreed with me not you. And I am glad in 15+ years you have learned everything there is to know, congrats. I’ll be seeing you fishing in the Elites next year right? I can say I knew him when!

Signature 

Posted: 28 July 2013 06:44 PM   [ # 41 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1866
Joined  2008-06-28

Would you 2 get married already?? LOL

Signature 

“Formley Known As Miller Time”

Posted: 28 July 2013 06:50 PM   [ # 42 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-27

What smiley is that? I cant see it on chrome… I need to know which one it is in order to form an adequate come-back.

Signature 

Posted: 28 July 2013 07:50 PM   [ # 43 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-06-17

Lol it always comes down to the smiley

Signature 

Posted: 28 July 2013 08:23 PM   [ # 44 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1060
Joined  2009-04-24

you mean they’re not!!!! lol BH

Posted: 01 August 2013 11:17 PM   [ # 45 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-06-17

Got my new KVD Quantum in today and its gotta be the best reel I’ve ever thrown. It is effortless to throw it 30 yards or so with a worm. I will definatly be buying more of those reels.

Signature 

< 1 2 3 4 5 > 
3 of 5