‹ First  < 3 4 5
5 of 5
Best reel for money??
Posted: 27 August 2013 09:26 AM   [ # 61 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  97
Joined  2013-06-17

I picked up a BPS Qualifier yesterday 5:3:1 8 bearing for $60 with Pro Line CXX 17lbs test seems to be a really nice reel just made a couple cast out in the back yard to see how it throws seems nice. Fits my hand really nicely. I can’t wait to go and try it friday.

Signature 

I got a big one grab the net!!!! Ohhhh wait i’m just hung again

Posted: 27 August 2013 03:25 PM   [ # 62 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28

i have 3 or 4 of those reels and they are nice. better since i changed the bearing to ABEC 7’s, lot smoother with the new bearings, a really good upgrade for cheap.

Signature 

Posted: 27 August 2013 04:05 PM   [ # 63 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-06-17

hmmmm might be something I look into. You have a link for where you got the bearings?

Signature 

Posted: 28 August 2013 05:41 AM   [ # 64 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
kberry4320 - 27 August 2013 04:05 PM

hmmmm might be something I look into. You have a link for where you got the bearings?

Here is the link, copy and paste.  http://www.bocabearings.com/

Use the drop downs on the site for Application, make and model of reel. if you have any questions, call or send them an email, they are very helpful.

Also the spool bearing pin, be careful pushing it out, if you have bad eyes like i do, use a magnifying glass to see the thicker end. push out on the small end and grab the thicker end and pull out the pin, when replacing the pin, push in the small end in first. Bottom line is, don’t try to push the thicker end of the pin through the pin hole, you’ll bend the pin and render it useless if you try. it’s a simple replacement if you do it right, i learned the hard way, lol.  On the PQ there are 3 bearings you replace. also it takes 20 or 30 casts to break them in but once you do, you will get about 20% more distance on the cast and it reels like butter. I still use my PQ’s a lot.

You Tube has some good videos on replacing the bearings, give them a watch.

I’d go ahead and use your PQ until cleaning and oiling doesn’t improve performance and it’s starting to perform rougher, then i would change the bearings, GL

If money is a problem, ABEC 5 bearings are a little better than the bearings already in the reel and cheaper then the 7’s, but 7’s are better bearings and worth the money and only about 10-15 bucks more than the 5’s. 7’s last longer and are smoother.

Signature 

Posted: 28 August 2013 06:39 AM   [ # 65 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  2009-03-08

Wow Cincy. Those bearings are an upgrade I wanted to do but never followed up on. I can see where you’d want max distance fishing from the bank.

Posted: 28 August 2013 08:51 AM   [ # 66 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-06-17

Thanks Cincy i just ordered those bearings! I’m gonna use it for a couple weeks then change them out just so I can say i got a little use out of the others haha.

As far a reeling in I personally feel as if the BPS reel is smoother than the KVD reel i got a few weeks ago. I was very shocked in this. I figured there would be no way the BPS reel is better in any way shape or form than the KVD especially based off prices. As far as casting goes I can not say yet since I haven’t actually fished with the BPS reel yet but come friday afternoon I will find out.

Signature 

Posted: 28 August 2013 10:23 AM   [ # 67 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

Don’t waste your money. Take apart your stock bearings and flush them out completely and then re-oil with a light high quality oil. You will see the same performance as if you bought boca ceramics. The topic has been hashed out many times on various forums and always comes to the same conclusion, the only time where ceramics are useful is if you throw weightless baits a long ways. With weighted baits it actually makes no difference at all vs cleaned stock bearings 99.99% of the time. It will make a huge difference over dirty or stock bearings oiled heavy.

Also don’t worry about the freespool time, has nothing to do with casting distance when there is an outward force applied by a weighted bait. Some guys will show you stock bearings freespooling for 10 seconds vs boca spinning for 2 minutes. It is because there is less idle friction, as soon as you put a force on it when casting they will equal out to the same as stock.

So unless you fish with weightless flukes or floating worms and need to throw them 2 miles, the only advantage you will get is not having to oil your bearings.

Take your stock bearings out and soak them for 2 days in parts cleaner and then re-oil with a high quality light bearing oil. You will be amazed. Stock bearings are not bad at all now a days, they are usually abec 5’s or even 7’s on the higher end reels. They just use a very cheap and thick oil which slows them way down.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 28 August 2013 07:10 PM   [ # 68 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

i have changed worn out beatings with the new BOCA’s and there was a difference, a big difference. i suggested he use the stock bearings until cleaning and oiling the stock bearing doesn’t help the performance of the reel. i have also changed out new stock bearings with ABEC 7’s and there also was a considerable difference. i don’t know where you get your info, but mine comes from actually using the bearings.

Signature 

Posted: 28 August 2013 07:30 PM   [ # 69 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
RiverRat - 28 August 2013 06:39 AM

Wow Cincy. Those bearings are an upgrade I wanted to do but never followed up on. I can see where you’d want max distance fishing from the bank.

yea, RR, they were some of the best investments i have done for my reels. You can either buy higher end reels or upgrade the reels you already have. i have done both. I think the ABEC 7’s really help low end reels more than the high end reels, that last few reels i have bought are already performance tuned and you can really tell the difference. I figure bearings are cheaper than new reels, especially reels you already have a history with and know the feel.

if i was in a boat and had specific targets to throw at, it might not make distance as important, but for me to fish new water, i have to cast past everyone else that has been beating the heck out of the water all year, i have confidence that i can and am doing that, most of my bites come about 30 yds off shore and a better tuned reel can make a big difference in getting extra distance, so a lot depends on me tuning the brakes good and i do that pretty well, but a lot comes from the reel itself. if i ever get to fish from a real bass boat i will tighten the reels up a little to cut down on distance and work more to accuracy, if i need more distance, i have it in reserve.

Signature 

Posted: 28 August 2013 07:41 PM   [ # 70 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
kberry4320 - 28 August 2013 08:51 AM

Thanks Cincy i just ordered those bearings! I’m gonna use it for a couple weeks then change them out just so I can say i got a little use out of the others haha.

As far a reeling in I personally feel as if the BPS reel is smoother than the KVD reel i got a few weeks ago. I was very shocked in this. I figured there would be no way the BPS reel is better in any way shape or form than the KVD especially based off prices. As far as casting goes I can not say yet since I haven’t actually fished with the BPS reel yet but come friday afternoon I will find out.

Before i make the first cast with any new reel, i clean and oil the bearings. You never know how long they have been sitting on a shelf in a warehouse. Then i know for sure they are ready to go.

My experience with the 4 PQ’s i have are that they feel smooth for the first 6 months to a year, depending on how much and hard you fish them, then the reel just isn’t the same, no matter how often you take the bearings out and soak them and oil them. I know, i tried. i put the 7’s in them and they are better now than when new. buying new bearing is cheaper than buying a new reel. i have a stockpile of new bearings when stock bearings need changed. if you can’t find your bearing from the drop downs, send them an email and tell them the specs of your reels and all the pertinent info, like BPS PQ 10XXXXXX and they will find the right bearing for you and give you the part numbers to order.

I had couple of older Johnny Morris reels i wasn’t sure of the bearing and they fixed me right up. i will have to say Johnny Morris are some of the smoothest reels i have ever fished with, if not the smoothest, i am not happy about the weight though, they just feel heavier than i like. i never bought a carbon light and can’t see myself buying any. i put ABEC 5’s in 2 older, well used Daiwa reels i bought off of twitches uncle and they made a helluva difference. Sometimes bearings just wear out and if you don’t want to shit can the reels, why not put better bearings in them, makes sense to me. Use the PQ you have till you feel a difference, then change out the bearings. Continue to do maintenance on all your reels including cleaning and oiling the bearings, stock or not.

Signature 

Posted: 31 August 2013 11:55 AM   [ # 71 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2008-05-27

CincySid - 27 August 2013 03:25 PM

i have 3 or 4 of those reels and they are nice. better since i changed the bearing to AVEC 7’s, lot smoother with the new bearings, a really good upgrade for cheap.

A: Precision ball bearings are manufactured to standards established by the Annular Bearing Engineers Committee (ABEC) of the American Bearing Manufacturers Association (ABMA). The ABEC and ISO bearing standards are primarily concerned with bearing tolerances. The tolerance is the permissible deviation from a specified value of a structural dimension. The higher the ABEC rating the closer the part is to being dimensionally perfect.

‹ First  < 3 4 5
5 of 5