1 of 2
Boating Cost
Posted: 22 July 2013 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  97
Joined  2013-06-17

On a avg. boating trip to lake or reservoir for a day of fishing how much do you spend for gas and the necessities not including food/drinks? I’m looking at buying a boat hopefully this week if the one i’m looking at checks out. I’ve had several people tell me not to get one because of how expensive it is to go fishing. So lets hear it how bad is it to go out for a day?

Signature 

I got a big one grab the net!!!! Ohhhh wait i’m just hung again

Posted: 22 July 2013 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4164
Joined  2011-02-28

I don’t have a boat but by logic the type and size of motor and material of the boat would mean a lot. If it is a 16’ jon boat with a 10 horse motor can run on 2 gallons of gas all day. if you have a 20’ Ranger with a 250 horse its going to cost considerably more. So its going to depend on the type, size of motor and what the boat is made out of and you also have to consider the trailer to haul with and the maintenance on it.

So to answer your question, I don’t know.

These guys here on this site have every type of boat made and can tell you. Give them some help by telling them the type, length, materials and size of motor on the boat you are buying and some can get it down to a few dollars for you probably. Also where you will be fishing. if it is small local ressie that’s a couple thousand acres or a huge impoundment that’s 50,000 acres or more.

with no specific info on a boat and where you will fish it makes it a no go on the dollar info.

good Luck!!!!

Signature 

Posted: 22 July 2013 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-06-17

I’m looking at a triton boat its 17ft long with a johson 120 motor. The lakes i’ll be fishing in with this one are large lakes I dont know the acres and other than that it’ll be reservoirs. i’m just trying to get a general idea of what kinda money i’m looking to spend each time i take a boat like this out.

Signature 

Posted: 22 July 2013 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
kberry4320 - 22 July 2013 12:10 PM

I’m looking at a triton boat its 17ft long with a johson 120 motor. The lakes i’ll be fishing in with this one are large lakes I dont know the acres and other than that it’ll be reservoirs. i’m just trying to get a general idea of what kinda money i’m looking to spend each time i take a boat like this out.

Good job, that will give these guys an idea of what you are talking about!!!!

Signature 

Posted: 22 July 2013 08:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  963
Joined  2009-04-24

I use my trolling motor more than the big motor.  my oil is $32 a gallon and I fill it every few tanks of gas. I might run my big motor an hour each trip which will cost me about $25. I only fill my tanks for tournaments, other wise i put $25 to $35 if I plan on running more than a few hours. It doesn’t take me more than 10 to 15min to get to most of my spots then I troll. when gas was cheaper I would run around more but now I pick my areas and fish smart.  I have a 21ft ranger with a 225 on the back. I have a 101 minkota which does most of the work. Hope that helps ya. Be smart and take a friend and split everything gas, oil, food and drink. Now go out and have a blast.. Better than sitting on the couch.  BH

Posted: 23 July 2013 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

I run a 17 foot ranger with a 115 2 stroke. Average is probably $20 a day in gas (5 gal). I dont have to run too far though.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 23 July 2013 11:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04

Gas and oil are the two things that will cost you. If you idle a lot then you will burn more oil then the average guy. I typically burn $20-30 a day in gas and refill my oil once every 4-6 weeks.

Signature 

Posted: 24 July 2013 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1329
Joined  2008-04-06
kberry4320 - 22 July 2013 09:40 AM

On a avg. boating trip to lake or reservoir for a day of fishing how much do you spend for gas and the necessities not including food/drinks? I’m looking at buying a boat hopefully this week if the one i’m looking at checks out. I’ve had several people tell me not to get one because of how expensive it is to go fishing. So lets hear it how bad is it to go out for a day?

OUTSTANDING question.  I’ll try to break this down as there are a lot of “costs” that get hidden.  I looked at a recent trip from Minneapolis to Green Lake in Spicer MN in order to get a good “average” number.  Green Lake is a great smallie lake that is about an hour and a half from the Twin Cities. 
First my assumptions…...
Distance 100 miles
MPG of truck pulling boat at average of 60 mph: 12mpg
Fuel burned for round trip: 17 gallons
Gas cost : $3.69 per gallon
Boat fuel cost (I run 91 octane non-oxygenated): $4.10 per gallon
Boat fuel burned: 7 gph avg for 1 hour. = 7 gallons.

Running the calculation
The truck fuel cost me $62.73
The boat fuel cost me $28.70
Ice, lunch, etc cost me $12.00
Oil for the motor cost me approximately $5.00

So the total cost for the trip was $108.43.
Now bear in mind that I run a Ranger 620 which is a heavy boat….so my fuel burn may be higher than yours.  But I also run a very efficient and well tuned motor in the ProXS, so that offsets it some.
My boat is paid for (not financed) so there are no finance charge costs etc, but if yours is going to be financed, those are real costs and should be figured in. 
I also have not figured in depreciation as that is a very different number based on boat brand etc.

The bottom line is this is not an inexpensive hobby.

Signature 

“Is this Heaven ?....no it’s Minnesota.  That’s funny, I could have sworn it was Heaven”

Posted: 24 July 2013 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  963
Joined  2009-04-24

u forgot the cost of baits and dropping a $300 set up in the river and falling in with your phone in ur pocket. Not that would ever happen. lol forget the money, you only live once. enjoy life. Get a fishing partner or two. two in the front and one in back.  BH

Posted: 24 July 2013 11:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-06
Buckethead Lure - 24 July 2013 09:07 PM

u forgot the cost of baits and dropping a $300 set up in the river and falling in with your phone in ur pocket. Not that would ever happen. lol forget the money, you only live once. enjoy life. Get a fishing partner or two. two in the front and one in back.  BH

Yep….100% agree with the “life’s too short” part.  You only regret later what you DON’T do. 

Signature 

“Is this Heaven ?....no it’s Minnesota.  That’s funny, I could have sworn it was Heaven”

Posted: 24 July 2013 11:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-06
AAav8or - 24 July 2013 09:53 AM
kberry4320 - 22 July 2013 09:40 AM

OUTSTANDING question.  I’ll try to break this down as there are a lot of “costs” that get hidden.  I looked at a recent trip from Minneapolis to Green Lake in Spicer MN in order to get a good “average” number.  Green Lake is a great smallie lake that is about an hour and a half from the Twin Cities. 
First my assumptions…...
Distance 100 miles
MPG of truck pulling boat at average of 60 mph: 12mpg
Fuel burned for round trip: 17 gallons
Gas cost : $3.69 per gallon
Boat fuel cost (I run 91 octane non-oxygenated): $4.10 per gallon
Boat fuel burned: 7 gph avg for 1 hour. = 7 gallons.

Running the calculation
The truck fuel cost me $62.73
The boat fuel cost me $28.70
Ice, lunch, etc cost me $12.00
Oil for the motor cost me approximately $5.00

So the total cost for the trip was $108.43.
Now bear in mind that I run a Ranger 620 which is a heavy boat….so my fuel burn may be higher than yours.  But I also run a very efficient and well tuned motor in the ProXS, so that offsets it some.
My boat is paid for (not financed) so there are no finance charge costs etc, but if yours is going to be financed, those are real costs and should be figured in. 
I also have not figured in depreciation as that is a very different number based on boat brand etc.

The bottom line is this is not an inexpensive hobby.

BUT…If you look at it ...say…in comparison to a golf habit.  Then assume you play golf for 4 hours and the round is $75.  The cost per hour for that activity is $18.75/hr.
Your fishing trip will cost you only $13.55/hr if you fish for 8 hours (which is pretty typical).
So in that light it’s not too bad !!!

Signature 

Posted: 25 July 2013 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-06-17

Thats really not bad. The hobby i just got out of which i was doing every weekend was drag racing. That was costing anywhere from 1000-2000 per weekend. That was a very expensive hobby. I’ve just heard horror stories about fishing and boating from people saying it was gonna cost me 4-500 per day and i’d be spending as much if not more fishing than I was racing. I dont mind spending the money if i’m having fun doing it I just didn’t want to get out there with a boat and realize man i should’ve stayed in racing with both of these costing roughly the same amount.

Signature 

Posted: 25 July 2013 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

jesus, you can hire a guide for the weekend, and stay in a really nice hotel and eat lobster and drink scotch all night and never come close to 2 grand a weekend. if you have that much money to spend for fun every weekend, I wouldn’t bother with a boat, I would hire one.

Signature 

Posted: 25 July 2013 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-06-17

hahahaha Cincy thats one reason i’m getting out of racing its getting way to expensive. I used to do it for a living for 3-4 years but cost went up and payouts went down. Now we run about once a month and during that down time i’m wanting to get serious about the bass fishing. Lobster and scotch sounding pretty good right about now. I’m ready to do some eating and fishing. Just wish i could find a boat. them things are few and far between.

Signature 

Posted: 25 July 2013 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
kberry4320 - 25 July 2013 03:11 PM

hahahaha Cincy thats one reason i’m getting out of racing its getting way to expensive. I used to do it for a living for 3-4 years but cost went up and payouts went down. Now we run about once a month and during that down time i’m wanting to get serious about the bass fishing. Lobster and scotch sounding pretty good right about now. I’m ready to do some eating and fishing. Just wish i could find a boat. them things are few and far between.

Don’t rush it just because you want a boat real bad. get quality for your money. if you have any questions about boats, these guys on this site have the answers. the guys here are the best bar none and very helpful, so use this resource to help you get the best boat for the money. Good Luck!!!!

Signature 

Posted: 25 July 2013 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-06-17

oh yea that’s what i’m doing. I found a nice 2000 triton the other day guy said it needed new carpet but that was it for 3,000 dollars. Mercury 150 motor 80lbs thrust trolling motor 2 fish finders everything i was looking for. Drove 3 hours to see it and the pics he had sent me were from a while ago. Got there boat was completely faded out carpet was ripped every where. Gauges, and fish finders were full of water and the motor was a old johnson 120 from probably 1985. The boat looked like it had been under water at some point and time in its life i’m thinking most likely during Katrina since it was in Gulfport. Its becoming harder and harder to find people online selling a boat who are actually trust worthy.

Signature 

1 of 2