1 2 > 
1 of 2
Treated lakes = no fun
Posted: 23 July 2013 08:34 PM
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  2009-03-08

I think when they treat lakes for weeds it puts everything in negative mood. The fish, the angler, and the weeds. I tried fishing a lake that had been treated and it was tough. It was like fishing in the fall where the weeds were dying off but no feeding going on. Every time my ticked a weed it drug the whole stinking dead weed back. I retreated from the shoreline and started fishing a 3/4oz 1-knocker in chrome blue with 12# FC. I had some luck with that but that lake was jacked fo sure!

Posted: 23 July 2013 10:54 PM   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04

That’s usually the case. The chemicals they use for treatment takes its effect on the fish for sure

Signature 

Posted: 24 July 2013 07:31 AM   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28

they change the environment of the water in a negative manner, dying vegetation sucks oxygen out of the water, and it is just a bad situation for the fish. so they will try to go some place where they can be in their comfort zone. give it a chance to flush out and it will be good again.

Signature 

Posted: 24 July 2013 09:20 PM   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1060
Joined  2009-04-24

they normally post signs before treating. i go other places for a few weeks before I go back. i know they have to do it from time to time but it does shut everything down for a while. BH

Posted: 26 July 2013 10:09 AM   [ # 4 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  97
Joined  2013-06-17

We had a sweet fishing spot for the past month or 2. Every time you would go you’d catch 8-10 fish any where from 2-8lbs. You were just about guarnteed to catch atleast one over 6lbs. Well now the owner has started to treat it and kill all the lillipads and weeds so i’m going through the same thing you are. I went this past week we caught 1 fish the whole day and it weighed maybe 3/4 lbs. He has ruined that lake just because he wanted it to have “that look” but that look has killed fishing there.

Signature 

I got a big one grab the net!!!! Ohhhh wait i’m just hung again

Posted: 26 July 2013 11:08 AM   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28
kberry4320 - 26 July 2013 10:09 AM

We had a sweet fishing spot for the past month or 2. Every time you would go you’d catch 8-10 fish any where from 2-8lbs. You were just about guarnteed to catch atleast one over 6lbs. Well now the owner has started to treat it and kill all the lillipads and weeds so i’m going through the same thing you are. I went this past week we caught 1 fish the whole day and it weighed maybe 3/4 lbs. He has ruined that lake just because he wanted it to have “that look” but that look has killed fishing there.

it will come back and so will the fish, just be patient.

Signature 

Posted: 26 July 2013 11:20 AM   [ # 6 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-06-17

Just got the call then he is taking the spray to the lake today to finish spraying and killing all the grass/lilli pads. Its ashame such a nice great fishing place gonna be ruined for a while just to have it “look” better. Sad thing is he didnt even pay attention to this place until just a month or 2 ago when we started fishing there.

Signature 

Posted: 27 July 2013 07:26 PM   [ # 7 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1835
Joined  2008-03-26
kberry4320 - 26 July 2013 10:09 AM

Talk to the owner, maybe he’ll let you plant some artifical cover in the water that cant be seen from shore, but will hold some fish.

Signature 

when in doubt swing it

Posted: 27 July 2013 09:08 PM   [ # 8 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

If he is just killing off the weeds your fishing is not done. Fish will adapt very quickly. It might be 2 or 3 days but they still have to eat, and will eat. The weeds will not disappear instantly, they will die and then slowly sink to the bottom and decompose like you are experiencing. Your fish will go into a funk for a little and then change their habits, they probably won’t hit on the presentations you were using when the weeds were healthy. You are essentially doing just what you said, fall fishing. Think about september fishing and go at it.

A couple things I would try. First, if it is calm I would break out the topwaters. The fish should be able to see them from a long ways off now since the zinc will have killed off any algae bloom in the water as well as settled some of the debris suspended in the water. Number two would be a hard swimbait. Something in the 100-110 mm size. Swim it at a steady pace and if you hit weeds, drop the rod tip a foot and do a quick jerk. The weeds are dead now so they should rip fairly easy. Number three would be a spinnerbait, especially if the water has any dye or just murky look to it. They used to treat a pond I fished and it would turn blue, a white spinnerbait shined in that condition.

Look for any structure you can find, even just a lone stick poking up in the water will hold fish. They were used to hiding in weeds, they want to look for cover. If you can find a brush pile or laydown I would target that for sure.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 27 July 2013 09:11 PM   [ # 9 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-27
kberry4320 - 26 July 2013 11:20 AM

Just got the call then he is taking the spray to the lake today to finish spraying and killing all the grass/lilli pads. Its ashame such a nice great fishing place gonna be ruined for a while just to have it “look” better. Sad thing is he didnt even pay attention to this place until just a month or 2 ago when we started fishing there.

Ask him if you can sink some xmas trees this winter out off the bank. Won’t have any effect on his “pretty pond” look but will hold fish and help his ecosystem. Sink them in groups of 3 tied together with old phone cords or SS wire and weighted with cinder blocks. You will have fish magnets that will attract every species in the lake….  you will also have lure magnets!

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 28 July 2013 12:39 PM   [ # 10 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1060
Joined  2009-04-24

xmas trees are good. I do it every year. I marked them on my gps. i add three to four each year on each pile. they will hold bait fish. i must say i haven’t caught any monsters on them yet but i have caught fish. if anything it helps hold bait fish which in the long run will help the area. BH

Posted: 29 July 2013 08:40 AM   [ # 11 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-06-17

He told me he is wanting a clear beautiful lake for guest to come look at when they stay at the cabin. He doesn’t care about the fish or fishing in there. I dunno what is going to happen to the lake so we are going to continue to talk about the fish. If he doesn’t want anybody fishing in there i’m going to fish out all the fish.

Signature 

Posted: 29 July 2013 11:03 AM   [ # 12 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-27

He cant have a crystal clear lake without fish or vegetation of some sort or he will have to treat it with chemicals constantly. He should contact the DNR and talk to some of the biologists, they could point him in the right direction to get a clear lake without spending $1000 a month in chemicals.

He ever think the guests might want to fish there?

Signature 

Posted: 29 July 2013 11:27 AM   [ # 13 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-06-17

no idea but its sad that where I live now you pretty much have a fish something like the reservoir to be able to fish. Small private ponds/lakes are going away quickly.

Signature 

Posted: 29 July 2013 11:35 AM   [ # 14 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-27

I know the feeling, its not good. All I have left to fish is public waters that get beat to hell every day. All of my private spots with the exception of one my buddy has access to are gone. You sound like a good fisherman, you will adapt and do well on public water.

90% of fish are caught by 10% of anglers.

Signature 

Posted: 29 July 2013 11:43 AM   [ # 15 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-06-17

Its sad we used to have 15-20 places we could fish any given day no problem what so ever. Now certain people have went out with beer cans/bottles and just destroyed the place therefore we are back to it is now with 1 place left and its a struggle to get in there. Now with this guy treating his place we’re back to public places like you said that get beat to hell each day.

Signature 

1 2 > 
1 of 2

‹‹ Go Big or Go Home!      Favorite Cranks.... ››