2 of 2
Treated lakes = no fun
Posted: 29 July 2013 04:25 PM   [ # 16 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28
kberry4320 - 29 July 2013 11:43 AM

Its sad we used to have 15-20 places we could fish any given day no problem what so ever. Now certain people have went out with beer cans/bottles and just destroyed the place therefore we are back to it is now with 1 place left and its a struggle to get in there. Now with this guy treating his place we’re back to public places like you said that get beat to hell each day.

yep same here, nothing but 5 little ponds to fish in a big populated city like Chicago, just got to go behind people and catch fish. try to get there first and fish when other don’t, like rainstorms, windy days, etc…. if you do that it’ll be better as far as catching fish, it might not be easy on you but its the way to go. on days you know its going to be tough, like bluebird skies and no wind or cold muddy water, go fishing but try something new, new setup, or new bait or new line or new technique. try to get another go to bait if you can.

also, in public waters, 95% of the fish are not on the banks. you can catch some on the banks but those fish get the hell beat out of them everyday,  if you can find a honey hole out in the lake or pond, you got a gold mind! Or, find some cover or structure no one knows about but u and fish it, don’t let anyone see you, its not going anywhere. I fight the bank sitters all year long, just the way it is and do the best you can. I used to skunk out half the time, now I don’t skunk out hardly any. when I do, its me not the fish. have fun, be safe and good luck! I got a few spots to go to in every pond I fish.

Signature 

Posted: 19 August 2013 10:18 AM   [ # 17 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  97
Joined  2013-06-17

To follow up on the treated lakes = no fun. After the owner sprayed his lake about 2-4 weeks ago we finally went back there this past friday to fish and whereas before he sprayed we’d catch 8-10 each trip and get tons of bites. This trip we caught 2 there were below a pound and that was the only bites we got the whole time we were out there (4 hours). I talked to the owner because there was alot of pads and grass still in the water back in the back that looked like he hadn’t touched it so thats where we caught the 2 little ones but he sprayed the rest of the lake Saturday so i guess our honey hole is done for for a while. Time to move on to the other honey hole and see what happens.

Signature 

I got a big one grab the net!!!! Ohhhh wait i’m just hung again

Posted: 19 August 2013 12:13 PM   [ # 18 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

yea, on bluebird, no wind days, I don’t even go out to fish, they don’t open up early enough to get the morning bite or stay open long enough to get the evening bite. with the water clarity here, I need cloud cover or wind, preferably both. been a lot of bluebird, windless days here in the last month or so.

I’m hoping for a little bit of an algae bloom to the stain the water some but no bloom so far. only waters not totally beat up are the ones you risk your life getting to, lol.

Right now all I got is the frog on top and they are conditioned to that bite so it makes it tough on the frog bite now, just have to bake in the sun, I guess.

Signature 

Posted: 19 August 2013 04:52 PM   [ # 19 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

Bass don’t need cover. Give them a week or so and they will acclimate to their new environment. They will likely school up and go to any sort of structure they can find. A few rocks, a laydown, an old log on the bottom, a clump of weeds that survived, and other things like that.

Now is your chance to improve your fishing by learning open water fishing. Drag a c-rig, fish a swimbait, a medium-deep diving crankbait, things like that.

Be sure to hit those banks early in the morning with a walking topwater (spook or sammy). The bass will go shallow in the evening to morning and then go out into deeper water during the day.

I caught a few bass today in a wide open lake with no cover. I was just throwing around a small 3” swimbait on a jig head while waiting for a catfish bite. This was about noon and they were hanging on the 4-6’ drop about 20 feet from the bank.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 19 August 2013 07:09 PM   [ # 20 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1060
Joined  2009-04-24

i don’t care if it’s blue bird skies, rain or wind. As long as I have water I’ll fish. Have you ever heard that if the moon is still out in the morning the fish won’t bite?  Not true. I’ve caught fish in all kinds of elements. As I said, as long as I have water.  lol lol BH

Posted: 19 August 2013 10:59 PM   [ # 21 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
Buckethead Lure - 19 August 2013 07:09 PM

i don’t care if it’s blue bird skies, rain or wind. As long as I have water I’ll fish. Have you ever heard that if the moon is still out in the morning the fish won’t bite?  Not true. I’ve caught fish in all kinds of elements. As I said, as long as I have water.  lol lol BH

The moon is way gone by the time they open these ponds up for fishing. This isn’t florida where you need clear water to catch fish, I’d love some stain to my water right now, but it has settled out and its tap water with weeds in it. with the weeds so high in these 3-12 acres ponds, matted up on top, I got no choice but to fish something weedless and snag proof on top, if they don’t hit the frog, I don’t have much option. I just had a thought, I could pull a weedless plastic jerkbait or senko through that stuff. i’ll give that a try.

Other than that, I can’t get any other bait through the weeds from the bank without snagging. if I was vertical jigging, I’d have a chance but i’m not, i’m fishing horizontal. I get close to breaking rods trying to drag a big ball of salad back every cast that gets down in the weeds. and that’s as soon as the bait hits the water. It is mostly hydrilla but there are several other stringy weeds in there to, not sure what they are but they are the ones that mat up. right now about all i’m doing is tearing up and putting a big strain on my tackle. 

This will force me to fish a technique, I don’t really care for or caught any fish doing it. maybe if I catch some fish with the jerkbait and stickbaits i’d be inclined to fish it more, but i haven’t. i’ll give her a try! Can’t catch em without getting a bait wet!!!!

3 of the ponds i need at least a 1 oz punch rig or jig to get through the mats but its all i can do to get the bait back. but 2 of the ponds are not as bad and i may have a decent chance with a senko type bait or jerkbait, we’ll see. Be good for me.

Signature 

< 1 2
2 of 2

‹‹ Go Big or Go Home!      Favorite Cranks.... ››