Favorite Cranks….
Posted: 12 August 2013 06:09 PM
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1866
Joined  2008-06-28

Crankbait season might be coming to a end of sorts. But I’m looking to do some restocking. Only problem is MAN THERE IS ALOT!!!!

So figured Id turn to you guys and see whats your favorite cranks. Not interested really on who thinks what is the “best” just the ones you tie on and use the most.

So tell me your favorite

Shallow(Past favorite for me Lucky Craft RC 1.5)

Medium (Past favorite for me Bandit 200)

Deep (never used)

and please let me know why and any mod’s you might do to them to help dial them in.

Signature 

“Formley Known As Miller Time”

Posted: 12 August 2013 07:00 PM   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1062
Joined  2010-07-26

My favorites are:
Swallow water - I always have a KVD 1.5 and 2.5 in Sexy Chartruese Shad tied on.  They may be small, but there are usually some bass up in the swallow waters of coves, espeically when there is vegitation, that are willing to offer at these crankbaits.  I do change out the trebiles with the KVD trebile hooks.

Medium water - I always have a Redeye Shad tied on that I can use for variable depths.  If I see some bass suspending at a certain depth that are between the depths of the 2.5 and 6XD I try to count it down and then bring it through them at that depth.  It usually doesn’t work as planned, but hey, it’s worth a try.  The only modifications I use on this is the retrieve to try to keep it at certain depths.

Deep water - This is becoming my strength this year.  I always, always, always, did I mention always, have at least two 6XD’s tied on.  I will swap between the Sexy Shad and Sexy Chartruese Shad.  Almost all of the bass I have caught this summer have been on the Sexy Chartruese Shad 6XD lure.  I went fishing on Monday of last week and caught 8.  Every one of them was on this lure.  I caught 4 that were over 3 lbs and 4 that were around the 1.5 lbs range.  I threw everything in the boat at them and this was the only lure I could catch them on.  I caught Spots, Large Heads and Stripes, all on the same lure.  They were all suspending at 15 to 20 feet in at least 30 feet of water.  The only modification I make is to change out the trebile hooks with the KVD ones.

One of the things I have noticed with the stock hooks is that they will straighten out too easy and I have lost some good fish in the past because of this.  The KVD hooks are a little stouter and hold up better.

The rivers and lakes that I fish are pretty stained so the Sexy Shad colors, especially the Chartruese one, is really good down here.

Posted: 12 August 2013 08:09 PM   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28

Hey Rammer, how you been. Missed hearing from you. Hope all is well!

I have 2 types of cranks I use.

Shallow: KVD 1.5 And 2.5 usually in bluegill and sexy shad. Wake baits- Mann’s 1 minus, blue chrome

Seasonal: Spring and Fall: Lipless, My favorite are Bleeding Rat’l Trap in Blue/Chrome, Cordell Hot spot black/chrome, RES in bluegill. Traps in 1/2, 3/4. 1 oz

I automatically change out the hooks, I use VMC’s 2X strong and Triple grips 1X strong. Stock hooks are crap and when I buy any crank, I take them off and sh*tcan them.

I don’t have any deep diving cranks.

I’ll color my cranks up sometimes, orange belly or red dots around the gills and always red hooks, not always both but the front is always red. orange belly because I want it to look more like a gill and red dots and red hooks to give it the injured bleeding look. sometimes both on 1 crank.

Last year the shallow cranks were hot, caught a ton on the KVD’s, this year the lipless was on fire. why? have no idea. maybe lipless because I used the Traps much more than the others and I fished more in the early pre spawn spring this year.

Signature 

Posted: 12 August 2013 08:20 PM   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1703
Joined  2009-07-07

I love the Strike King line of crankbaits, but the square bill I gained a lot of trust in this season is Ish’s perch colored River2Sea® Biggie -Smalls crankbait.

Signature 

Hope you catch your biggest bass ever on your next fishing trip.

Posted: 12 August 2013 08:46 PM   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1060
Joined  2009-04-24

Squirtbait square bill in wild shiner, shad and baby bass colors works well for me. I’m a little prejudice. lol BH

Posted: 12 August 2013 09:07 PM   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

Squirtbait worked good for me this year on pike!

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 12 August 2013 11:13 PM   [ # 6 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  420
Joined  2012-01-14

Shallow

The Egg wake bait for 1 foot and shallower.  XPS squarebills in any color for the 2-4 foot range.  I’m not sure what it is about those squarebills but they beat up on every other squarebill crank I’ve got.  I’ve have a couple 60+ fish days on those baits.  The DT-6 in Demon, MardiGras and Bluegill for the 6 foot range

Medium

DT-10 In Rusty Crawfish, Demon, Red Crawdad, Foil Yellow Perch and Bluegill.  DT-14 in most any color.  Norman Deep Little N in Red Craw and Citrus Shad.

Deep

XPS Deep Crank in colors containing chartuse or red for the 15 foot depth.  I also use the 5XD for the 15 foot range even though the action is junk but that shorter body profile can get me bit when they don’t want the big bodied XPS Lazer Eye Deep Crank.  DT-16 in bright colors for the 16 foot depth.  DT-20 and 6XD for the 20 foot depth. 

The DT 20 is a better bait than the 6XD, at least it’s better where it really counts, the action.  It’s not by much but I’ve caught more bass on it than the 6XDs and I’ve caught some big walleyes on it as well, something the 6XD hasn’t done.  The 6Xd is a good bait that really ought to the the staple of a 20 foot depth arsenal because you can get 2 6XD for the price of one DT-20. 

Posted: 13 August 2013 10:23 AM   [ # 7 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2102
Joined  2008-04-08

Lipless:
Red Eye Shad; Xcalibur; Rapala Clackin’ Rap - haven’t tried this one yet, but I picked some up on clearance at Cabela’s for $2.00.

Shallow:
KVD 1.5 and 2.5 - really like the Sexy Ghost color; Rapala DT4 and DT6; Rapala Shallow Shad Rap

Mid:
Rapala DT Flat (DT7), DT10;  Berkley Frenzy Diver

Deep:
Don’t throw too much, but I do have some Rapala DT16s and DT14s.  I use to have a couple Poe’s deep divers (down to 22ft), but got rid of them - didn’t throw them often enough.

Signature 

My wife is my favorite fishing partner.

Posted: 13 August 2013 08:54 PM   [ # 8 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1889
Joined  2009-02-05

Lipless I use Xcaliber and Redeyes

Shallow I use SK 1.5 and 2.5

Mid range I use some Rapala’s and Bomber’s

Deep cranks I use Rapala’s, Bomber and SK

The only Mod’s I do is put bigger hooks on the smaller baits like the lipless and shallow cranks.

Posted: 13 August 2013 09:12 PM   [ # 9 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  2009-03-08

Shallow - Norman Fat Boy, RC 1.5

Med- wiggle warts, Bomber 8a’s

Deep - bomber fat free shad, Norman Deep n’s

I LOVE WIGGLE WARTS!

‹‹ Treated lakes = no fun      Frog Talk ››