1 2 > 
1 of 2
Frog Talk
Posted: 13 August 2013 12:43 AM
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  420
Joined  2012-01-14

I’ve done a lot of froggin this season, more than than I’ve ever done to date and have a blast doing it.  A couple of things I’ve been doing this year is modifying frogs, throwing them in more open water as well as throwing them in heavier cover than ever before.  I’ve got a number of fish between 4 and 7 pounds on frogs so it’s quickly becoming a big fish technique for me.

What have you guys been doing this season when frogging?  Are you matching the hatch and throwing where there is frog activity, or just relying on the bait’s topwater appeal to get bit as a reaction bait?

Are you walking or popping the frog?

What mods do you guys do to your frogs?  I’ve been trimming the legs back a few inches and getting a lot more action out of the baits.  I’ve also found that sealing the “hook hole” with silicone and then cutting a hole into the bait above the waterline (head area on popping frogs) prevents it from filling full of water yet still allows it to collapse.

What’s your follow up bait to throw at those fish that respond to a frog but wont eat it?  When they wake the surface or show interest but not enough to blow a hole in the slop?  I’m using a screw-in sinker in a Yum tube.

What rods are you guys throwing?  Line?

What I’m catching them on: Rainforest Black Spro Bronze Eye Popper and the Matzuo America Croaker.

Frogs on the market I’m excited about: River2Sea Spittin Wa 70 in Yellow Head, Deps Slither K (getting RAVE reviews) in Swampster and Buster K in Jet Black    

Posted: 13 August 2013 01:06 AM   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3416
Joined  2008-11-12

Optimum Furbit….. Nuff Said

Signature 

Does sleeping with the fishes equate to basstiality? LOL LOL LOL

Posted: 13 August 2013 01:29 AM   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  331
Joined  2010-12-09

I also have fished a frog more this year than previous years combined.

I prefer to used a 7’ heavy or 7’ MH with Sufix 832 50-65 lb braid.

Snag proof Ish Phat Frog is the best IMO (no need to trim the legs, sits great in the water, doesn’t fill up with water, and easy to walk or pop) but I also like the Spro Dean Rojas Bronzeye poppin’ frog, and the Strike King Rage Tail Toad.

I try all different ways to work the frogs until I figure out what the bass want. 

I prefer a dark frog for dirty water and a light color for clear water.

Nothing is more exciting than having a big bass blow up on the frog. 

I follow up a miss with Texas rigged plastics in heavy cover or wacky rigged plastic in open water, although sometimes I find a second or third cast of the frog is the best option.

Signature 

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I’m dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Posted: 13 August 2013 03:11 AM   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-14

I’ve been doing a lot of long pauses with the frogs in the slop.  Most of my strikes occur within 1-3 pops after a pause.  The longer and more tedious the retrieve due to looong pauses the bigger the fish seem to be.  Peek feeding periods seem to the the ticket for the big fish.  There have been many days where I could not break 3 pounds until the final minuets of daylight and then I’m into a few fish in the 6 pound range with numbers of 3s and 4s.

When popping the slop a dark colored big popping faced bait will elicit more responses from fish buried under the slop mid-day but that response may not try to eat the bait so mush as respond to it’s presence.  Following up with a secondary presentation has been key to getting bit with those baits.  I’ve also thrown some more naturally colored baits with smaller popping faces and had fewer responses, but those fish have eaten the bait, to the point of almost gut hooking.  I mean hook bends pressed up against the gullet deep.

The rod I’m throwing is 7’ Heavy powered fast action Xtreame Rod.  It’s got a light tip with a stout carbon fiber cross wrapped back bone to enhance lifting power.  The line I’m throwing is Power Pro Super 8 Slick #30.  The line been alright, but breaks in to a point that it becomes excessively soft and limp resulting in some poor manageability as it ages.  The heaviest stuff I’m fishing is moss covered coon tail beds so #30 is plenty.  I might switch over to Sufix 832 or Performance Braid. 

LilJakeC - 13 August 2013 01:06 AM

Optimum Furbit….. Nuff Said

I’m interested in the popping version of that bait, namely as a weedless bluegill-feeding-on-the-surface imitator for more open water. 

Posted: 13 August 2013 03:33 AM   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28

one thing I do when I think its an area holding fish, is make multiple casts to the same place, i’m talking 20-30 times. vary my retrieve. rarely have I been disappointed. I don’t know if they want to eat or it just pisses them off but they hammer it. my second biggest, (in my signature),  was a frog fish. I must have thrown under that tree seems like 50 times, probably closer to 20, but seemed like 50. When you get a blow up, throw back in again, if you don’t get another blow up, eat a sandwich, smoke a cigarette, drink some water, let it rest for 20 minutes or so then try again. especially if its a big fish. if its a big fish, don’t leave till you catch it, have that mind set. if no one sees you on that spot leave, but not far for a little while then sneak back up on it and try again.

Signature 

Posted: 13 August 2013 03:49 AM   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-14

True that.  I’m actually really interested in some of these giant, and I mean GIANT, soft plastic frog baits intended for musky fishing.  I’ve heard some giants blow up on bullfrogs at my super secret state pond I frog at (pond Manteno Shelby county Iowa).  It’s the same pond I caught some giant bass of unknown double digits in 2003.  If I kept that fish I would be Iowa state record holder for sure.  I think there are more fish of that size in there and that they are targeting the big bullfrogs during low light periods that infest the pond.

Whats makes for the perfect frog rod?  I think that light/balanced rod with an extra fast tip, so as to be light within the 1st few inches, heavy powered rod with some sort of enhanced lifting power in the 7’ 4’’ range would be ideal.  That tip should also transition smoothly to the backbone to enhance casting accuracy.  The problem I have with my Xtreame is that there is a night and day transition from long, light tip to powerful carbon fiber wrapped back bone.  It’s a bit short and clumsy too.  Very competent, but far from an ideal rod.

Posted: 13 August 2013 09:45 AM   [ # 6 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  97
Joined  2013-06-17

I think everybody has been throwing a frog more this year than ever. I’ve been using the KVD Sexy frog both the green and white. I’ve noticed alot more activity this year on my frog than ever before. Within my first 5 cast of the green sexy frog i landed a nice 6# bass in some light grass areas. Generally i like to pop mine for the first 5-10ft from it landing then start to walk it the rest of the way in seems to get them stirred up or like Cincy says it just makes them mad. As far as a 2nd bait goes its kinda a toss up between throwing a buzz bait in there (while hoping it doesn’t get caught up in the grass or brush) or i throw some type of 6-8” worm off in there and just make it dance up in there.

As far as rods go i’ve been using both a 6’6” and 7’ rod this year MH with the fast tip seems to work pretty good. I was using 17lbs fluro line now i’ve swapped over to 60# braid but haven’t had a chance to go fishing since then all thanks to work. (Work weeks should be 2 days and fishing days should be 5 days)

Signature 

I got a big one grab the net!!!! Ohhhh wait i’m just hung again

Posted: 15 August 2013 05:33 AM   [ # 7 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-14

Nories frogs have just popped onto the market through TackleWarehouse.  They don’t look like much but the videos of the frog’s action make them look insane.  The Nories Ebigaeru Popper looks really, really good.  It has that Japanese high end topwater popper movement but in a snag resistant frog-ish form.  The Nories NF60 Frog also looks (in the vid) to be a walking machine.  Prices aren’t bad either.  I’m going to get both by next frog season.

Posted: 15 August 2013 08:01 AM   [ # 8 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  331
Joined  2010-12-09

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc373/TKoutdoor/photo.jpg

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc373/TKoutdoor/photo-1.jpg

Not exactly what I was fishing for, but the Spro Bronzeye Popper got this one.

Signature 

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I’m dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Posted: 15 August 2013 09:19 AM   [ # 9 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2102
Joined  2008-04-08

What have you guys been doing this season when frogging?  Are you matching the hatch and throwing where there is frog activity, or just relying on the bait’s topwater appeal to get bit as a reaction bait?

Once the weeds come in I throw the frog – don’t have to see any frog activity.

Are you walking or popping the frog?

I mostly use solid bodied frogs like Sizmic Toad or Yum BuzzFrog.  I rig them on a weighted 3/0 or 4/0 Mustad 91768 hook with an Owner CPS twist lock.  I jerk and pause while over the weeds and let fall into the holes.  For hollowbody frogs I use a Snag Proof Pro Tournament Frog – haven’t even tied it on this year.

What mods do you guys do to your frogs?

none

What’s your follow up bait to throw at those fish that respond to a frog but wont eat it?

I either follow-up with a Senko (wacky rigged if it’s not too weedy, weightless T-rigged if it is) or a pegged T-rigged creature bait like a Zoom Brush Hog.  The latter rig is great if they punch a hole in a weed mat coming after your frog but don’t eat it – just drop that lure in the hole they made and you are almost guaranteed a hook up.

Not exactly what I was fishing for, but the Spro Bronzeye Popper got this one.

those bullfrogs can be real aggressive - I’ve caught them on 5” senks, plastic worms, and even on frogs.

Signature 

My wife is my favorite fishing partner.

Posted: 16 August 2013 02:51 AM   [ # 10 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-14
Flymantex - 15 August 2013 09:19 AM

I either follow-up with a Senko (wacky rigged if it’s not too weedy, weightless T-rigged if it is) or a pegged T-rigged creature bait like a Zoom Brush Hog.  The latter rig is great if they punch a hole in a weed mat coming after your frog but don’t eat it – just drop that lure in the hole they made and you are almost guaranteed a hook up..

Have you seen the BPS Punch Hog soft plastics?  They’re a meaty bodied brush hog bait without the little arms that is designed as a punching bait.  I’m thinking of picking up a pack to use a secondary bait when frog fishing.

Posted: 19 August 2013 10:20 AM   [ # 11 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1835
Joined  2008-03-26

I have always used the spro line of frogs, i havent tried much else. I trim the legs pretty short, like only leave an inch or two of the legs left. When i fish slop i fish the frog slow. Pop it in place and let it sit, move it forward a foot or two , let it sit. If a fish blows up and misses, i let it sit longer and then pop it a little. If that isnt working i will speed up my retrieve and keep trying different speeds ect until i find what they want. If i catch one i will work the area over very thoroughly. Sunny skies i use a yellow bellied frrog, top side color doesnt matter, darker days or windier days, i use black.

Signature 

when in doubt swing it

Posted: 19 August 2013 12:02 PM   [ # 12 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

I got all kinds of frogs, hollow body and solid toads, spro, koppers, kvd sexy frog, booyah pads crashers, all kinds of scum frogs, snag proof’s, ish’s frogs, Horny toad, rage toad, ribbit, mad tommy, tiki wave, lake fork.One thing I have learned, they all catch fish.

I tend to fish a toad parallel to shore on spinning tackle and 20 lb braid, I weight a horny toad hook just enough to keep it from rolling over by wrapping solder around the hook shank. it seems to come through weeds and scum easier than a regular weighted hook.

4 mats i’m fishing more hollow bodied. I can throw them farther on heavier tackle and 50-65 lb braid. I throw over the mats if I can and bring it on slowly, I vary my retrieve until I get a hit or blow up and then tune my retrieve from there. it a blast when you find a school under the mats. I have to hit them hard and get them in fast because from the bank, if you let then bury in the weeds, I can’t go after them and you’ll probably lose that fish or have to cut your line. I don’t like either option, but I would rather do that than break a rod.

Signature 

Posted: 09 February 2014 01:46 AM   [ # 13 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1895
Joined  2008-01-18

I throw frogs all year round. I get my best bites fishing the thickest cover I can find and casting the frog as close to shore as possible. I almost always get a blow up the first 4 feet from shore..For colors I like to keep them natural when its sunny, and black when it gets cloudy. I usually do not modify my frogs, but I have heard of people stuffing the inside with foam…I only use 65lb power pro when fishing frogs..

Signature 

“Everybody wanna be big, everybody wanna be strong, everybody wanna be a bodybuilder or powerlifter, but nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight, but I DO!!!!” - Ronnie Coleman

Posted: 09 February 2014 03:44 AM   [ # 14 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

What mods do you guys do to your frogs?

I almost always cut and inch or 2 off the skirts acting as legs and i almost always bend the hooks UP a little to improve hook-ups, just a hair off the plastic, and i have stuffed pieces of a plastic worm in a hollow body to give it more weight. you don’t want to fill it up or you will hamper the compression of the frog. i am now putting in some old split rings for weight and noise.

Signature 

Posted: 09 February 2014 10:32 AM   [ # 15 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

Bend the hooks up just enough to when you run your hand down the back of the frog without squishing it the hooks will scratch your hand. Legs don’t make any difference to me, get the same number of bites and hook-ups with long vs shortened.

For the scum frogs, I close up the hole in the back end with some silicone sealer and add lead shot to the silicone as it dries. This weights the frog so it lands upright almost every time, and it won’t take on water while fishing.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

1 2 > 
1 of 2