1 of 2
Red Hooks
Posted: 20 August 2013 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]
Crappie
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2012-04-05

I see that people are changing there hooks from the orginal to a new one when they get there lures from the stores. The question I have is when you are getting red ones are you buying them or just taking a red marker and coloring them in?

Signature 

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Posted: 20 August 2013 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  97
Joined  2013-06-17

Why would you color or buy red hooks? Is there an advantage?

Signature 

I got a big one grab the net!!!! Ohhhh wait i’m just hung again

Posted: 20 August 2013 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2098
Joined  2008-04-08

it’s a confidence thing - some people say the red hooks simulate an injury. Others say it doesn’t matter at all and fish can’t even see the red (that’s why red line is suppose to be invisible).

I personally like red hooks on my cranks - I have more confidence in them and confidence in your technique and equipment will take you far.

As for the original question I don’t paint them myself, rather buy the red hooks.

Signature 

My wife is my favorite fishing partner.

Posted: 20 August 2013 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4192
Joined  2011-02-28

i buy red hooks and also color them with a red sharpie. Like Jimmy Houston said, there should be some red on your bait somewhere.

in the clear water i fish, i think it helps. all my cranks, wake baits, lipless cranks have at least one red hook on it and most have 2. i will take a sharpie on the baits i throw and go around the eyes, put little dots and slashes coming off the gills, maybe a little on the tails. Spinnerbaits and chatterbait i will paint the main hook red and use a red trailer.

I just like the idea of the bleeding bait look, injured bait look. Caught most of my biggest bass with a red hook on them. red turns to brown then black as it goes deeper, but if it is clear water, it has to go 4-5 feet deep before it starts to change, maybe deeper. i have confidence in red and will keep buying red hooks and coloring up my baits. Blue is the most visible color for bass to see and it is the last color that changes or goes invisible per se, so bass can see it deeper.  i use blues, oranges and chartreuse to color baits a little also if needed. It’s why i have an affinity for bleeding bait traps and blue back/ chrome.

First thing i do when i buy new cranks is sit down and change the hooks out to red trebles, upsized hooks. i go through #2 triple grips, short shanks like crap through a goose. LOL just ordered a bunch more. i sharpen the hooks if need be also. sometimes i’ll spend 3 or 4 hours just sharpening hooks and changing them out. The technique KVD showed for changing out trebles using needle nose has saved my nails and lots of time. so to answer your question Gator, i do both!

Here’s the link for kvd changing trebles on u-tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFz_Yc8wICE

Signature 

Posted: 20 August 2013 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Joined  2012-04-05

That is cool there. I have seen my brother use the sharpies to do what you where saying about adding the blood look around the gills and stuff. But the hooks I have never changed or done that before. So that does help out there.

Signature 

Posted: 20 August 2013 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
Gator Doc - 20 August 2013 04:37 PM

That is cool there. I have seen my brother use the sharpies to do what you where saying about adding the blood look around the gills and stuff. But the hooks I have never changed or done that before. So that does help out there.

It helps my confidence,  if i fished stained water or muddy or dirty water, it might not make any difference. if the water clarity is 3 or 4 feet, i’ll have red on my bait somewhere. when a fish bleeds, its hurt, maybe dying, bass are predators and prey on the weak, if you give that impression to the bass, it has to help in getting fish up on the bank or in the boat. i’ll even color the bottoms of frogs a little when i’m frog fishing. Whether it helps or not, who knows, just like using scent, if it makes you feel more confident, then do it. watch a kvd spinnerbait video and he explains it better than me about red hooks.

Signature 

Posted: 20 August 2013 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Joined  2012-04-05

Will deft have to keep that in mind with frogs. I know I have found a wonderful place that is hard to get to that is full of pads. That I plan on doing some early morning and late night fishing here the next few days on

Signature 

Posted: 20 August 2013 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1329
Joined  2008-04-06

I LOVE the red Gamakatsu hooks that used to be on the BPS Premium jigheads.  They really made a difference for me.  Apparently though they are now unavailable in a black jighead which is my main color used.

I am not sure if the red hooks help me catch more fish but they do improve my confidence (for whatever reason),....so to me I catch more fish because of this.

Signature 

“Is this Heaven ?....no it’s Minnesota.  That’s funny, I could have sworn it was Heaven”

Posted: 20 August 2013 08:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  97
Joined  2013-06-17

I’m gonna have to try this red hook thing. I’ve never tried it and y’all making it sound really good.

Signature 

I got a big one grab the net!!!! Ohhhh wait i’m just hung again

Posted: 21 August 2013 09:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
AAav8or - 20 August 2013 08:36 PM

I LOVE the red Gamakatsu hooks that used to be on the BPS Premium jigheads.  They really made a difference for me.  Apparently though they are now unavailable in a black jighead which is my main color used.

I am not sure if the red hooks help me catch more fish but they do improve my confidence (for whatever reason),....so to me I catch more fish because of this.

when the red starts to come off those black jigheads, give them a couple coats of a sharpie or any permanent marker ink, hang them up for a day to let them thoroughly dry and you got your red hook jig back. it will wear off eventually but you can color them red with a sharpie, over and over. or put a light coat of red fingernail polish on them.

Signature 

Posted: 22 August 2013 09:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1329
Joined  2008-04-06
CincySid - 21 August 2013 09:13 PM
AAav8or - 20 August 2013 08:36 PM

when the red starts to come off those black jigheads, give them a couple coats of a sharpie or any permanent marker ink, hang them up for a day to let them thoroughly dry and you got your red hook jig back. it will wear off eventually but you can color them red with a sharpie, over and over. or put a light coat of red fingernail polish on them.

Thanks, I’ll put that good tip in my mental filing cabinet for future use….but with the red Gamakatsu hooks the red does not give me the problem….eventually the BLACK comes off the jighead and I am too lazy to repaint so they get tossed.  That, plus up here they bounce on and get hung up on all the rock….so the hooks dull.  Again….I sharpen them a bit but alas…the time comes and they get tossed in the trash.

BUT…I guess I could use your Sharpie tip on regular color hooks to add some red to them.  I never really thought of doing that !!  I loved the BPS Premium jigheads as they always had the hook eyelet pre-cleared of paint. 

Signature 

“Is this Heaven ?....no it’s Minnesota.  That’s funny, I could have sworn it was Heaven”

Posted: 22 August 2013 10:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

Sharpie will only work on nickel hooks (not bronze or black nickel), and it wears off after one fish. Well it sort of works on bronze, but it will not be anything like a factory red hook. Been there, done that.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 23 August 2013 01:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
Kevin22 - 22 August 2013 10:18 PM

Sharpie will only work on nickel hooks (not bronze or black nickel), and it wears off after one fish. Well it sort of works on bronze, but it will not be anything like a factory red hook. Been there, done that.

Yes, nickels hooks are the best, i do it on all the spinnerbait main hooks i have and any nickel hooks i have but if you give it 2 or 3 coats, it will last longer. it doesn’t come off that easy. and it lasts longer than one fish, i can attest to that. I’ve been doing it for about 3 years, but i let them dry for a day or 2. i don’t use the sharpie when I’m fishing, then it won’t work very well.

Signature 

Posted: 23 August 2013 02:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  420
Joined  2012-01-14

I don’t think it does anything for bass fishing.  I might be able to be persuaded into believing it does something for walleye, but not bass.  Red hooks do no harm when targeting bass so I can take or leave them.  I’ve got a number of red hooks from worm to treble and haven’t seen a bit of difference between them and black hooks.  I’m undecided if chrome trebles on topwaters add anything to the bait due to their shine.  Red trebles are shiny red, so I sometimes add red trebles to my topwaters and sometimes not.

I no longer buy red hooks (unless clearance priced), but I’ll use the ones I have until they are gone as do not believe they negatively effect the bait.

Posted: 24 August 2013 08:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  2009-03-08

I have not noticed a difference in catch rate with red hooks. KVD does mention that true to the process red hooks are heavier. So keep that in mind if your changing topwater hooks. The may ride a little higher or lower depending on what you switch.

Posted: 24 August 2013 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  992
Joined  2009-04-24

i like changing the back hook to a red hook on my jerk baits. and I have a few spinner baits with a trailer hook in red. i’ll throw a bait a couple dozen times without a bump or a strike before I change baits. depending on the time of day, i start on top water and work my way down. I like to fish a reaction style bait before I go to other baits. BH

1 of 2