1 2 > 
1 of 2
No finesse in my game
Posted: 26 August 2013 09:26 AM
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  2009-03-08

Boy am I stuck in rut. The fishing has been tough lately. We have had high pressure systems with no rain. I don’t know if that’s a reason but its convenient for me. I keep using the same approach of spinnerbaits, cranks, swimjigs, and topwater. I haven’t dragged anything this year. Most of all I haven’t dropshot anything either. It’s almost like I have to purposely leave the power fish stuff at home and force myself to finesse. Maybe then I gain some confidence in it. Does anyone have the same problem?

Posted: 26 August 2013 10:16 AM   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1835
Joined  2008-03-26

Im the other wasy around. I will drop shot and finesse fish before picking up any power fishing stuff. Our waters are very pressured and the light stuff always gets me more bites, but not always the biggest.

Signature 

when in doubt swing it

Posted: 26 August 2013 10:35 AM   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-08

Stick, do you use braid and a leader, or straight FC?

Posted: 26 August 2013 01:45 PM   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-26

Straight floro, Ive switched to Seaguar Tatsu this year and wont look back

Signature 

when in doubt swing it

Posted: 26 August 2013 03:18 PM   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28

for 2 months of summer i hardly even fish, i fish hard spring and fall. just a tough bite here in the summer. so instead of sweating my ass off in the summer which is what i need to do, i just sit here in the air con and watch TV. I have very little incentive to do anything else. Summers there is very little open water here, basically its frog on the mats, which i love to do and that’s it. Take a break for a couple of weeks, RR and recharge.

Signature 

Posted: 26 August 2013 05:06 PM   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  420
Joined  2012-01-14
RiverRat - 26 August 2013 09:26 AM

Boy am I stuck in rut. The fishing has been tough lately. We have had high pressure systems with no rain. I don’t know if that’s a reason but its convenient for me. I keep using the same approach of spinnerbaits, cranks, swimjigs, and topwater. I haven’t dragged anything this year. Most of all I haven’t dropshot anything either. It’s almost like I have to purposely leave the power fish stuff at home and force myself to finesse. Maybe then I gain some confidence in it. Does anyone have the same problem?

Sounds like a good rut to be stuck in.  You couldn’t pay me to fish a senko.

Posted: 26 August 2013 05:54 PM   [ # 6 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-08
TorqueConverter - 26 August 2013 05:06 PM

I know what you’re saying. I love fishing fast. I just want to a more complete angler.(I was going to say well rounded but I got that part covered) I want to be able to catch fish on tough days too.

Posted: 26 August 2013 07:50 PM   [ # 7 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1060
Joined  2009-04-24

i can’t sit around, a bad day on the water is still better than a day on the couch. when fishing is slow, I practice. i look for different water and I throw the sink at it. i must admit though and I know you guys have different water than I do down here but I haven’t had a slow day fishing in years. Too many spots to hit. we don’t always catch monsters but we catch fish. My biggest yesterday was 3 1/2 lbs but I caught at least 30 fish. BH

Posted: 26 August 2013 11:56 PM   [ # 8 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1703
Joined  2009-07-07

River Rat you may want to try a drop shot rig just to see what its all about. You said fishing is slow anyway. Who knows maybe it could be a slump buster for you.

Signature 

Hope you catch your biggest bass ever on your next fishing trip.

Posted: 27 August 2013 12:18 AM   [ # 9 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1335
Joined  2008-04-06
stick um - 26 August 2013 01:45 PM

I have seen that and it has my interest. How’s it for casting ?  Does it have good abrasion resistance ?  Very interested in this for smallies on clear, rock bottomed lakes.

Signature 

“Is this Heaven ?....no it’s Minnesota.  That’s funny, I could have sworn it was Heaven”

Posted: 27 August 2013 12:29 AM   [ # 10 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  420
Joined  2012-01-14
RiverRat - 26 August 2013 05:54 PM
TorqueConverter - 26 August 2013 05:06 PM

I know what you’re saying. I love fishing fast. I just want to a more complete angler.(I was going to say well rounded but I got that part covered) I want to be able to catch fish on tough days too.

I’ve just got a lot fishing crap I’ve been collecting since I was like 10.  I’ve got baits, as in whole trays of them, that I don’t use because I don’t like them, but I make the effort to buy and try just about every type of bait out there.  I’ve thrown a lot of finesse plastics at fish and one presentation I really like is an unweighted tube as a finesse tactic when the fish are finicky.

I think you need to drop some cash on a bunch of plastics and jigs that are considered finesse baits and put some hours behind the baits.  After some time and playing around with presentations I think you’ll find something you like and can rely oe.

Posted: 27 August 2013 03:13 AM   [ # 11 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
Buckethead Lure - 26 August 2013 07:50 PM

i can’t sit around, a bad day on the water is still better than a day on the couch. when fishing is slow, I practice. i look for different water and I throw the sink at it. i must admit though and I know you guys have different water than I do down here but I haven’t had a slow day fishing in years. Too many spots to hit. we don’t always catch monsters but we catch fish. My biggest yesterday was 3 1/2 lbs but I caught at least 30 fish. BH

Sounds good and i do go out and try new equipment, but with the ponds the way they are in the summer, frog on the top is the only thing i can fish or something weedless i can drag on top. got no way to practice anything else. when the frog bite dies, i wait a few weeks and try it again. its about time now for me to get going again. campers will be thinning out, kids going back to school, football starting up, not many people on the ponds, see what i can do. i got 12 to 15 rigs in my trunk ready when the weeds get down a little. takes me a month or more to catch 30 fish when the fishing is slow.

Signature 

Posted: 27 August 2013 05:25 AM   [ # 12 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1060
Joined  2009-04-24

im guessing it’s hard from the bank to put a heavy weight on and punch it threw the weeds?? BH

Posted: 27 August 2013 01:09 PM   [ # 13 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-26
AAav8or - 27 August 2013 12:18 AM
stick um - 26 August 2013 01:45 PM

I have seen that and it has my interest. How’s it for casting ?  Does it have good abrasion resistance ?  Very interested in this for smallies on clear, rock bottomed lakes.

I like it, i bought a bulk spool of 8 lb from Tackle Warehouse and the line was twisted bad, I tried spooling the line every way and still twisted. A couple years ago I got a bulk spool of Invizx from them and it was also twisted bad. Something about T.W. and bulk spools of line doesnt work for me. I was able to get the twist out by tying the line to a swivel and the to a fence, I walked out a bunch of line and reeled it back on really tight, spraying it down wit KVD conditioner along the way. Anyway, it casts better than any other floro ive used. Great abration resistance, I pulled a 4lb bass from under a dock a couple weeks ago, I havent broke off at all this year. It is also more sensitive. I can feel more than before.

Signature 

when in doubt swing it

Posted: 27 August 2013 01:15 PM   [ # 14 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-26

You have to remember that finesse fishing doesnt have to mean slow. I fish a drop shot pretty fast, also a tube. For the dropmshot I will cast to my target let the bait sit maybe 15 seconds, shake it , let it sit maybe another 10 seconds and reel it in for another cast. Just like a tube, I use a 5/16 oz head, skip it under a dock, shake it a couple times and make another cast. Most of the time the fish will hit the lure quick after your cast. If its a calm slick bluebird day, post front, ect. You might have to soak it longer.

Signature 

when in doubt swing it

Posted: 27 August 2013 03:18 PM   [ # 15 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
Buckethead Lure - 27 August 2013 05:25 AM

im guessing it’s hard from the bank to put a heavy weight on and punch it threw the weeds?? BH

I rigged one up this morning, on a Tourney Trail, 7’ 8” Heavy with 65 lb PPS8, 1 oz tungsten weight, pegged, tied on with a snell knot, 5/0 VMC heavy duty flippin hook, with a 5 inch black and Blue pit boss.

only problem is i can only fish maybe the first 10 or 12 feet if that. if i go further than that, then i’m going create to much of an angle and have to pull it through to many weeds. Need to fish it as vertical as i can. hope they are close to the bank! plus i have never fished that way before. only fished from a bass boat one time and that was at Dale Hollow, not much flipping or pitching there. but i’ll give punching a try. Good time to give it a try.

Signature 

1 2 > 
1 of 2