1 2 3 > 
1 of 3
FLW Ban’s A-Rigs…..BASS next???
Posted: 01 September 2013 04:10 AM
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1866
Joined  2008-06-28

Now first off Ive heard nothing about BASS even thinking about this move. Just wondered what you guys thought.

Here is what FLW has done…..

In addition, for the 2014 season, umbrella rigs – commonly known as the Alabama rig or A-rig – will be prohibited from FLW Tour competition.

“FLW has thoughtfully studied the use of umbrella rigs for two seasons, and we’ve decided to no longer permit their use on the FLW Tour,” said FLW President of Operations Kathy Fennel. “The rigs have simply evolved to a point that we can no longer wait for state-enforced restrictions to be developed. That said, umbrella rigs will be permitted in our other tournament circuits, but with restrictions that limit them to a maximum of five wires outfitted with a maximum of five spinners and five lures, only three of which can have hooks. This decision is consistent with the wishes of a majority of our anglers while heading off potential conservation concerns.”

After taking a wait-and-see approach with regard to use of umbrella rigs on the FLW Tour in 2012 and 2013, FLW officials came to the conclusion, after seeking input from FLW Tour pros, that it was in the best interests of the sport to prohibit the use of umbrella rigs at the Tour level.

“It’s definitely a step in the right direction,” said 2013 Forrest Wood Cup champion Randall Tharp. “From the very first tournament of the year I saw where this was heading. The biggest reason I didn’t like it was that it made a whole lot of other technologies obsolete and that’s not good for the sport. The question for me was: Where do you draw the line? At Beaver Lake some people were throwing 20 baits on one rig. So where does it end? I realize that new technology has always been part of the sport, but I think in this case, FLW did a good job drawing a line where they did.”

Good or bad???

Signature 

“Formley Known As Miller Time”

Posted: 01 September 2013 12:11 PM   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3416
Joined  2008-11-12

BASS has already banned the use of any multiple bait rig in their tournaments.

Signature 

Does sleeping with the fishes equate to basstiality? LOL LOL LOL

Posted: 01 September 2013 12:19 PM   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28

i like the idea of only 3 having hooks, the bottom 3 wires are targeted the most, especially the one in the center that is a little longer. so with that configuration, i don’t have a problem with it. All the other stuff they put with it making it look like a frickin Xmas tree, i don’t like. Just make it five wire, 3 with hooks and 2 dummy lure that’s all, imo

A Pro throwing a Xmas tree for 3 or 4 days and nothing else is not what the sport intended, its about using various techniques.

Signature 

Posted: 01 September 2013 01:13 PM   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

BASS banned them the year they were made famous.

I think its better for the sport to go back to the basic 1 hook per line rule. No sense in changing something that worked for 40 years.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 01 September 2013 02:44 PM   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1060
Joined  2009-04-24

what about jerk baits that have three trebles or a spinner that has a trailer hook. i think its good for the sport so the pro’s use more than one bait but I’ve seen a pro throw a spinner all day before. i didn’t know Bass already banned the bait from tournaments BH

Posted: 01 September 2013 03:13 PM   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3416
Joined  2008-11-12
Buckethead Lure - 01 September 2013 02:44 PM

what about jerk baits that have three trebles or a spinner that has a trailer hook. i think its good for the sport so the pro’s use more than one bait but I’ve seen a pro throw a spinner all day before. i didn’t know Bass already banned the bait from tournaments BH

I should rephrase my post… They banned all multiple bait rigs. Trailer hooks are still legal as are treble hook lures.

Signature 

Does sleeping with the fishes equate to basstiality? LOL LOL LOL

Posted: 01 September 2013 05:37 PM   [ # 6 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1060
Joined  2009-04-24

and what was the main reason they banned them? i use it but not too much because they are so heavy. im always looking for lighter reels,rods because after 8hrs of casting 2000 times a heavy lure will wear you out or at least it will with me. ( im getting old) lol lol my wrist start aching after a while. BH

Posted: 01 September 2013 07:16 PM   [ # 7 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-27

Because it took a lot of the skill out of fishing. Find feeding fish and someone who has never fished before could bring in a 25lb bag.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 01 September 2013 09:38 PM   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1866
Joined  2008-06-28

Wasnt aware bass banned them already. Seen them mentioned here and there amoung bass publications and pro’s using them. Just ass-u-me my bad

Signature 

“Formley Known As Miller Time”

Posted: 02 September 2013 03:34 AM   [ # 9 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

Fishermen and A-rig makers has pushed the envelope to far, some people have the feeling using an A-rig was borderline cheating because it was so effective. It made me think the guys using it and winning with it weren’t very good.  Nothing against the A-rig. but the first thought that comes to my mind when someone wins a tourney using the A-rig is, ” whats the matter, you couldn’t catch fish any other way?” but that’s just me.

As a fisherman, if i could use it and catch a 100 bass every time i would go fishing the allure of fishing, would go away and i would probably never fish again. Nothing to learn, to compete for, to strategize. Competing against the fish, water, weather, elements would be gone. would cease to be fun. Sure i would probably use it from time to time but i think other ways of catching fish is more fun.

As far as FLW banning it, good for them! I am sure some tourney fisherman have the feeling the only way they can compete or win a tourney is to use the A-rig, that’s not fishing to me.

But I can still use it if i want within the state laws.

Signature 

Posted: 02 September 2013 08:26 PM   [ # 10 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  420
Joined  2012-01-14

I think it’s a POS.  I have no idea where all this hype about the bait being “too good” comes from.  It’s not a great bait.  It’s not even good.

It’s intended purpose is to present a number of small swimbaits to suspended fish in a countdown fashion.  It’s boring as hell and incredibly limited in what the bait can do when fished this (correct) way.

One faithful day, some jackoff picked up an A-rig, put a bunch of huge swimbaits on it, then just started chucking and winding the damn thing.  Sure enough it’s horrible bait that does not get bit, but when it does you’re getting big fish.  It’s bait you can but 10 hours behind and get bit only once or twice.  That’s god awful, but it is what is needed to win tournaments.

Posted: 03 September 2013 01:27 AM   [ # 11 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

about the only ones that can use it, 5 wire or more, is in the south anyway. the majority of the other states limit it to 2 or 3 hooked baits.

Signature 

Posted: 03 September 2013 06:49 PM   [ # 12 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

i just received this months copy of North American Fisherman and they have an article by Ron Lindner in there about the A-Rig. Ron Lindner’s question is this: “the controversy basically begs the question- at what point does sportfishing end and commercial fishing begin?”  Also in the article it says earlier this year the state of Illinois, (which i happen to live), voted to outlaw the A-Rigs in all forms. he goes on in the article that it is basically a one fish at a time bait and that over time it will run its course of fame just like all the other productive baits will and have. So assuming that is true, no need to ban the A-rig, it will run its course and it will just be another option in an anglers tackle box.

Now i will have to go out of state to use it.

Signature 

Posted: 03 September 2013 11:57 PM   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04

I like the rig. Its a big fish deal and it gets some of the hardest hits I’ve ever had. I prefer the 5-bait version. More baits just seems like more of a mess to me.
As far as competitive fishing goes, its available to everyone in the tourney. If they choose to fish something else and lose to guys throwing the rig, then that’s on them.

Signature 

Posted: 04 September 2013 12:36 PM   [ # 14 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

i have my suspicion that other lure manufacturers are behind some of the push to ban it. I think the fad will run its course until the next newest and bestest comes out. I am torn, part of me wants to ban it because i can’t fish it here, part of me says let it alone, if its not harming the fish. i think sooner or later the bass will get conditioned to it. its not like its invisible or anything.

if you could stiffen up some fluoro to the point it would support the weight of the jig heads and baits, then you might have something. it might be something you inventors can work on. use like 400 lb test fluoro and make it stiff enough the baits don’t get tangled up?

Signature 

Posted: 04 September 2013 02:35 PM   [ # 15 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-27

Have you ever seen 400lb line cincy? We use it for decoy cords here. Its a good 1/8” thick, no way it could ever be less visible than 051 wire. And no, 400# would not support a 1/16oz weight let alone a rigged swimbait if the line was more than an inch long.

Signature 

1 2 3 > 
1 of 3