2 of 3
FLW Ban’s A-Rigs…..BASS next???
Posted: 05 September 2013 04:05 AM   [ # 16 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28
Kevin22 - 04 September 2013 02:35 PM

Have you ever seen 400lb line cincy? We use it for decoy cords here. Its a good 1/8” thick, no way it could ever be less visible than 051 wire. And no, 400# would not support a 1/16oz weight let alone a rigged swimbait if the line was more than an inch long.

ok, scratch the 400 lb fluoro line, lol, i was just throwing out some thoughts. surely there is some material that can be used that will support the weight of jig heads and baits that won’t let the baits get all tangled up, that is less visible to the fish. it can be flexible to a point. i bought some 5 wire terminator A-rigs that have titanium wire that snaps back into place and it seems thinner and a little less visible. A-rig works best if the fish can see the baits and will work better if they can’t see the wires if possible IMO

Signature 

Posted: 05 September 2013 04:39 AM   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04

From what I can tell, if you’re fishing it around a school, the visibility of the wires doesn’t matter. Their competitive nature takes over and its a frenzy. The bait does do best in semi-stained water, about 2-3 foot of visibility. Hopefully the A-rig bite will be on when we head to Guntersville Cincy. Let everyone else fish those causeways, we’ll fish the deep weed lines. If its on, its a blast!

Signature 

Posted: 06 September 2013 03:58 PM   [ # 18 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
twitch - 05 September 2013 04:39 AM

From what I can tell, if you’re fishing it around a school, the visibility of the wires doesn’t matter. Their competitive nature takes over and its a frenzy. The bait does do best in semi-stained water, about 2-3 foot of visibility. Hopefully the A-rig bite will be on when we head to Guntersville Cincy. Let everyone else fish those causeways, we’ll fish the deep weed lines. If its on, its a blast!

i’m ready, i hope i got the right gear. my closest thing to five baited hooks on a five wire is 2 baited hooks and 3 willow blades on a five wire. whats the usual visibility of the water, is it ever gin clear or is their always some color to the water? 2-3 feet vis. is dirty water to me.

Signature 

Posted: 06 September 2013 09:11 PM   [ # 19 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1060
Joined  2009-04-24

400lb test?? is there such a thing?? i’ve used some heavy pound test for salt water trolling but 400lb? get rid of the rig. ban it for life and make way for Squirtbait. lol lol works for me.  BH

Posted: 06 September 2013 09:13 PM   [ # 20 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

What you needed was a pro to rig up 5 squirtbaits on an a-rig and win a tourney BH. Those things would be flying out the door 5 at a time.

We use 400lb for duck and goose decoy strings, I have no idea what it is used for in fishing. I’d assume marlin leaders or something like that.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 06 September 2013 11:08 PM   [ # 21 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

be damn hard to tie a palomar knot with it, lol got to be some clear plastic strong enough to use for wires. i know in stained water the wires may be ok, 2-3 viz. but i was basing it on my water i fish, which is much clearer, now with the Illinois DNR banning the A-rig in any form, i can’t throw anything if i wanted to. oh well, i’m sure it is legal in the PI, lol Found out from talking to a ranger, these ponds that i fish were made from gravel and sand pits that they dug below the water table and spring water filled them up. guess the springs run dry because if not they would always be full, but not the case. has been this year with all the rain.

Signature 

Posted: 06 September 2013 11:11 PM   [ # 22 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
twitch - 05 September 2013 04:39 AM

Can’t wait to chunk and wind, looking forward to catching more than 1 and 2 lbers I’ve been getting the last 2 years here.
fishing a world class lake with a pro, what could be better, that’s way up on my bucket list!!!!!!

Signature 

Posted: 06 September 2013 11:29 PM   [ # 23 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

You cannot tie it, you have to use 2.2mm crimps.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 07 September 2013 12:35 AM   [ # 24 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

it was a joke K22, lighten up, lol

Signature 

Posted: 07 September 2013 02:06 AM   [ # 25 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  420
Joined  2012-01-14

Anybody up for a serious A-rig thread? 

I’ll admit I already shot off at the mouth (stupidly) about them but I have studied the bait and had the chance to put some hours behind a 5 rig on Bull Shoals in 2012.  I’ll spill the beans on what I know about the bait (including mods) in an honest fashion.  It’s a bait of facts and fiction, lots and lots of fiction.  It should not have been banned IMHO.  While I am in no means in love with the bait, the banning was from the fiction of the bait, and not the facts of the bait.

Posted: 07 September 2013 06:57 AM   [ # 26 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

never really fished it full with 5 hooked baits, Illinois allows 2 baits and the rest teasers. supposedly now or next year, been banned altogether here. so it will be a learning experience when i do fish it fully baited up, in another state.

Signature 

Posted: 08 September 2013 11:42 PM   [ # 27 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04

Cincy, Guntersville is typically pretty clear this time of year. This year has been a little off as far as seasonal weather patterns go. I would be prepared for at least 4 foot of visibility. The grass there does a pretty good job of filtering out the sediment.
What we will start throwing is the Flash Mob Jr by YUM! paired up with either 3.8” Keitech baits or 5” Basstrix. Had great success with these.

Signature 

Posted: 09 September 2013 04:43 PM   [ # 28 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1835
Joined  2008-03-26

B.A.S.S has banned using 2 lures , like a donkey rig, 2 flukes riggrd together, and using a jig for a drop shot weight and stuff like that. I think people blew the a-rig out of whack. They are a lure for a certin time and place like anything else. I think alot of people went to far with the 17 lure rigs and all the blades on them. I think they could have limited them to 5 or 3 lures and kept them legal.

Signature 

when in doubt swing it

Posted: 09 September 2013 05:05 PM   [ # 29 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
stick um - 09 September 2013 04:43 PM

B.A.S.S has banned using 2 lures , like a donkey rig, 2 flukes riggrd together, and using a jig for a drop shot weight and stuff like that. I think people blew the a-rig out of whack. They are a lure for a certin time and place like anything else. I think alot of people went to far with the 17 lure rigs and all the blades on them. I think they could have limited them to 5 or 3 lures and kept them legal.

Exactly right, they tricked them out and brought so much attention to the lure, they almost had to ban it.

Signature 

Posted: 09 September 2013 05:14 PM   [ # 30 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
twitch - 08 September 2013 11:42 PM

Cincy, Guntersville is typically pretty clear this time of year. This year has been a little off as far as seasonal weather patterns go. I would be prepared for at least 4 foot of visibility. The grass there does a pretty good job of filtering out the sediment.
What we will start throwing is the Flash Mob Jr by YUM! paired up with either 3.8” Keitech baits or 5” Basstrix. Had great success with these.

I don’t have a flash mob but i have some 4.8” keitech baits and some 4” money minnows. I read a 4 or 5 inch grub does well also on G. So you are suggesting braid with a shock leader of fluoro? i bought some fluoro again so i’ll bring it with me. Need a big storm to go through and cool off the water and stir it up a little.

Ok, i just ordered a couple of Flash Mob Jr. in Willow and some Basstrix 5”

Signature 

< 1 2 3 > 
2 of 3