< 1 2 3
3 of 3
FLW Ban’s A-Rigs…..BASS next???
Posted: 09 September 2013 10:38 PM   [ # 31 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04

I run straight 80lb braid to reduce the chance of losing the rig on a cast. Ive seen guys lose their rod/reel when trying to cast these things. However, you can use a leader, or even straight fluoro.

Signature 

Posted: 09 September 2013 11:25 PM   [ # 32 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3416
Joined  2008-11-12

I use 25lb Seaguar Abrazix on my A-Rig rod. Works perfectly fine for me. It is tough as nails and cast phenominally!

Signature 

Does sleeping with the fishes equate to basstiality? LOL LOL LOL

Posted: 10 September 2013 03:08 AM   [ # 33 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  420
Joined  2012-01-14

I used #50 PP 4 strand

What’s the consensus on the powers and actions of an A-rig rod?  I used a H Fast Berkley LR that was actually an XH Moderate, if not XXH Moderate, that did not cast anything well but cast an A-rig very well it did.  I’m talking casting distance that was bar none amazing.  It took like 2oz just to begin to show signs of light tip load on that rod.  5/8oz frogs were uncastable on it.  2oz was hardly pitchable.  It convinced me that very heavy powers and moderate actions where ideal for the A-rig in terms of casting distance and accuracy.

EDIT: for those who have fished the A-rid deep, how was you countdown ability?  Were you able to maintain a set depth under a normal retrive once counted down?  I had to remove 2 baits and replace them with spinner blades to generate a bit of lift to have a true countdown bait ability.  Without this mod the baits had a tendency to run much deeper than what I wanted.

A bit of advice: stay away from lead-head A-rigs.  The rig requires a mass bias towards the bait portion of the rig to cast effectively.  Any weighted head will cause the rig to tumble in the air, loosing casting distance (dissipating casting energy) as well as tangling the line.

Posted: 12 September 2013 01:43 AM   [ # 34 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04

I have been extremely happy with a 7’11H TOUR Hackney rod. It has a fast tip but is underpowered IMO and should be rated closer to a MH. I use 80lb Spiderwire for my big-rigs and 65lb for rigs 2oz or under.
So far the rod has been great. I pair it up with a 7.0:1 Burner and usually keep a moderate retrieve. I rarely slow the bait down.
For my lighter rigs I have been using a Kistler KLX 7’8H Moderate. So far so good with it. Havent boat flipped any big girls yet though!

Signature 

Posted: 12 September 2013 10:53 AM   [ # 35 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28
twitch - 12 September 2013 01:43 AM

I have been extremely happy with a 7’11H TOUR Hackney rod. It has a fast tip but is underpowered IMO and should be rated closer to a MH. I use 80lb Spiderwire for my big-rigs and 65lb for rigs 2oz or under.
So far the rod has been great. I pair it up with a 7.0:1 Burner and usually keep a moderate retrieve. I rarely slow the bait down.
For my lighter rigs I have been using a Kistler KLX 7’8H Moderate. So far so good with it. Havent boat flipped any big girls yet though!

Well, i hope i have that dilemma on whether to boat flip a big mama, LOL

Signature 

< 1 2 3
3 of 3