fall fishing
Posted: 03 November 2013 08:02 PM
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1703
Joined  2009-07-07

What action and length casting rod should I be using for suspending jerkbaits? Also, what set up should I be using for blaid baits. The water temps have dropped so quickly up here. I think I’ll finally need to try using them.

Signature 

Hope you catch your biggest bass ever on your next fishing trip.

Posted: 03 November 2013 09:18 PM   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

I like a 6’4 ML for smaller jerks, 6’6 M for bigger jerks. Both Fast action. If you jerk to the side you can go up to a 7’.

What do you mean by blade baits? Sonars? Spoons? Spinnerbaits? Chatterbaits?

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 03 November 2013 11:21 PM   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-07

An example of a blade bait to me is a Silverbuddy. It has a flat bait fish profile with lead on its belly

Signature 

Posted: 03 November 2013 11:54 PM   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

Yeah thats the sonar type. 6’8 ML F spinning rod for 1/4 blades. 7’ M F for 1/2. The key to those is a slow and steady rise, a baitcaster will overwork the bait and you will get nothing but reaction strikes. Took me a good month to learn them this spring, it is a lot harder than it seems. First 2 weeks all I did was snag fish all day long, once I got the hang of it I started catching them. You wouldn’t believe how hard fish hit those things when worked properly. The biggest mistake I made was the wrong rod/line choice. I started with a 7’M baitcaster and ended up with a 6’8 ML F spinning rod and 10# braid.

I’m going to purchase a rod specifically for blades here in a few weeks. 6’8 M F croix.

I was fishing them for walleye, largemouth, and white bass.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 04 November 2013 10:41 AM   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28

to me a blade bait is a silver buddy type bait and a chatterbait type bait. I’d check up on Mike MClellan’s videos, if he has them, which i am sure he does and read articles from him on suspending jerks. He is considered the best in the world fishing suspending jerks. never a bad thing to get info from the master of the technique.

Signature 

Posted: 04 November 2013 12:38 PM   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3416
Joined  2008-11-12

I am a jerkbait fanatic! My setup that I use for jerks is a 6’7” MH XF (fishes more like a ML) Falcon Cara T7 weightless worm special. This is the rod that Mike McClelland uses for jerkbaits. I have it paired up with a Curado 50e with 10lb Yo-Zuri Hybrid. This is a phenominal setup

Signature 

Does sleeping with the fishes equate to basstiality? LOL LOL LOL

Posted: 04 November 2013 04:56 PM   [ # 6 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

great advice Liljake McClelland, if that is what they use, then i would go with that. Good advice Jake!!!!! for a blade bait, they cast acrossed the lake, me personally, i would go with a mh 7’ fast spinning rod and your favorite reel on 12 lb Yozuri hybrid, pline cx premium or silver thread excalibur.

Signature 

Posted: 04 November 2013 06:39 PM   [ # 7 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-07

Thanks for the help men. Before I left for the lake today I took the mono off my top water rod & put 10# Fluorocarbon on it. When I pulled up on the second point I fished I caught two fish on a jerkbait. The bigger one was 3 1/2 lbs.

Signature 

Posted: 04 November 2013 10:21 PM   [ # 8 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

Congrats bassfish, always pays to take advice from the pro’s on here! My cute little guide is sick so while she is sleeping, i’m playing games and on here.

Signature 

‹‹ LEWS      Shimano Chronarch ››