Berkley Chigger Craw 3”
Posted: 23 January 2014 10:18 PM
Shad
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2013-02-27

I just purchased some Berkley Chigger Craws in the 3” model an have no idea how to Texas-rig them. All my hooks are as long as the bait itself. HELP?

Posted: 23 January 2014 11:54 PM   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3416
Joined  2008-11-12

Go buy some 1/0 or 2/0 Owner EWG hooks and texas rig them with a 1/8th oz tungsten weight. Whatever you do don’t throw this setup around shallow docks. It will not work. I repeat IT WILL NOT WORK!!!

Signature 

Does sleeping with the fishes equate to basstiality? LOL LOL LOL

Posted: 24 January 2014 05:02 PM   [ # 2 ]
Shad
Rank
Joined  2013-02-27
LilJakeC - 23 January 2014 11:54 PM

Go buy some 1/0 or 2/0 Owner EWG hooks and texas rig them with a 1/8th oz tungsten weight. Whatever you do don’t throw this setup around shallow docks. It will not work. I repeat IT WILL NOT WORK!!!

I don’t play on it Jake. I’m new to soft plastic craws. Can anybody help me on how to fish them. Also I’m not sure if where I fish has crawfish.

Posted: 24 January 2014 05:10 PM   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1989
Joined  2009-02-17

I haven’t t-rigged them, mainly used the 3” Chiggers for jig trailers, which they’re one of my favorites & most successful. Rocks, crawdads love being in & around the rocks. I’ve had luck flipping craw baits in & around weeds/wood too. Basically find some good cover, a craw imitation will work.

Signature 

Posted: 24 January 2014 07:20 PM   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-12
KentuckyBassMaster4 - 24 January 2014 05:02 PM

I don’t play on it Jake. I’m new to soft plastic craws. Can anybody help me on how to fish them. Also I’m not sure if where I fish has crawfish.

HAHA, I can’t tell if you were being serious about not throwing them around docks or not. Just to make it clear I was saying not to do it because you will start doing it and slaying the fish like I have done using small craws around shallow docks.

Another way to fish them is to throw them on the outside weedlines. Just cast out and drag/hop back to the boat.

If your lake doesn’t have crawfish, you can still catch bass on craws and jigs. All of the lakes around me don’t have trout, I still catch fish on trout colored swimbaits. If it looks like food a bass will eat it.

Signature 

Posted: 24 January 2014 07:22 PM   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28

i don’t think it matters much if there are craws where you fish or not. as long as it looks like food, bass will eat it.

Signature 

Posted: 24 January 2014 08:26 PM   [ # 6 ]
Shad
Rank
Joined  2013-02-27
LilJakeC - 24 January 2014 07:20 PM

HAHA, I can’t tell if you were being serious about not throwing them around docks or not. Just to make it clear I was saying not to do it because you will start doing it and slaying the fish like I have done using small craws around shallow docks.

Another way to fish them is to throw them on the outside weedlines. Just cast out and drag/hop back to the boat.

If your lake doesn’t have crawfish, you can still catch bass on craws and jigs. All of the lakes around me don’t have trout, I still catch fish on trout colored swimbaits. If it looks like food a bass will eat it.

I should’ve known. I didn’t even think twice about you saying that. Thanks for all the info. guys. Do you peg the bullet wait or just let it slide?

Posted: 24 January 2014 08:47 PM   [ # 7 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-12
KentuckyBassMaster4 - 24 January 2014 08:26 PM
LilJakeC - 24 January 2014 07:20 PM

I should’ve known. I didn’t even think twice about you saying that. Thanks for all the info. guys. Do you peg the bullet wait or just let it slide?

Around docks I don’t bother pegging. I only peg if I am punching weeds or fishing in brush.

Signature 

Posted: 24 January 2014 09:27 PM   [ # 8 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

I’ve never fished the chigger craws… but I’ve fished a lot of “action” craw baits (claws flap). They are one of my go-to baits. I use as light of a weight as I can get away with and slowly drag and hop them along the bottom. Very similar to using a jig.

I like 1/0 and 2/0 trokar EWG hooks. Usually 1/16-1/8 bullet weight, not pegged.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 28 January 2014 10:02 PM   [ # 9 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  147
Joined  2012-03-18

The chigger craw is my go to bait. In addition to rigging them with an EWG and bullet weight, I will rig them on a Strike King roundball jighead. The jigheads are less productive around a lot of cover, as they will get snagged up, but they are awesome around small pile-ons and docks. I mainly use the jighead for a more aggressive style (tends to place the claws higher in the water) and vice versa with the EWG hooks.

Signature 

Posted: 04 March 2014 07:49 AM   [ # 10 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  496
Joined  2012-01-17
KentuckyBassMaster4 - 23 January 2014 10:18 PM

I just purchased some Berkley Chigger Craws in the 3” model an have no idea how to Texas-rig them. All my hooks are as long as the bait itself. HELP?

Check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR07CYFzepQ

Signature 

“May you catch all the fish you’ve told me about.”

‹‹ KVD swim N shiner      Stained Water ››