1 2 > 
1 of 2
Just bought a new outfit
Posted: 27 January 2014 03:15 AM
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28

Bought a Quantum® EXO PT Casting Reel for $199.88 and paired it up with a VERITAS 7’3” MH F rod for $100. i know the rod is not a discount but i was wondering if the reel was a good price. it’s a PT200, 5.3:1. I wanted something i could get more line on the reel and this will let me spool on 150 yds or more. Plus i wanted to get an EXO for a long time. Should be a light and sensitive outfit i hope. This is the last fishing gear or baits for the year, not buying anything else.

Signature 

Posted: 27 January 2014 12:57 PM   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1989
Joined  2009-02-17

Nice, I’ve heard the EXOs are solid reels & the Veritas are solid rods. I just got done making my last rod/reel purchase for the year, got a Revo LT from Japan to put on my 682 Powell to be my finesse casting set-up. The color of the LT couldn’t match the Max rod any better, should be a good lightweight performer with the 8/100 spool instead of the usual 12/115 or 12/145 Revo spools I’m used to. Sold off 3 or my Gen 3 STXes to pick up a Rocket late last year & that reel makes me wish they hadn’t gone to the carbon sideplates in place of aluminum, because that reel has a much better feel than the carbon Gen 3s, much more like the Gen 2s. Got a Revo S10 for my ultra light around that same time too, which is a nice reel, but I kinda wish I hadn’t cheaped out & got another Premier instead. But I don’t use UL all that often, so the S will do just fine.

Signature 

Posted: 27 January 2014 01:14 PM   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

are the gear ratios on reels determined when there is no line on the reels? If so, at full spool won’t it pickup line a lot faster? or am i just hoping? i have a tendency to bring the baits back to fast and i would like this to be my spinnerbait/ frog setup. so i would prefer a little faster than 5.3:1 reel although i reel these slower reels a lot faster than my higher speed reels. I do throw a lot of big bladed, heavy spinnerbaits before the mats take over, trying to catch the bigguns. big bladed to help get through the weeds and lily pads. i can throw braid on it because the weeds and pad stems will break up the line visibility and i need a strong outfit to get them out of that stuff before i can’t fish it any more. Even after a long cast, there should be a lot of line left on the spool to pump up the retrieve speed a little.

Signature 

Posted: 27 January 2014 01:24 PM   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

Gear ratio is not the same as IPT, but to answer your question it is usually determined with a spool filled to factory recommendation with the middle line (usually 12lb).

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 27 January 2014 01:29 PM   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

thanks, shoots me out of the water on that hope, lol. I was hoping my IPT would kick up a little at full spool. Oh well, i got other things i can throw on it.

Signature 

Posted: 27 January 2014 02:52 PM   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

If you use line with a smaller diameter it will increase the IPT slightly as well as increase your casting distance.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 27 January 2014 03:46 PM   [ # 6 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3416
Joined  2008-11-12

I will call bullshit on you guys not making any more big fishing purchases this year!!!!!!! The bait monkey will be back on your leg shortly, sooner or later you are going to have to let him finish instead of trying to ignore him raspberry

Signature 

Does sleeping with the fishes equate to basstiality? LOL LOL LOL

Posted: 27 January 2014 07:16 PM   [ # 7 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1060
Joined  2009-04-24

lol thats what I’m saying, if I had a dollar for every time I’ve said that!!!!! I’d be heading to BPS now. lol lol BH

Posted: 27 January 2014 07:26 PM   [ # 8 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-17

I truly am done rod & reel for the rest of the year, like fur real… Only because I’m looking to save up & get a Glock 17 & Browning BPS Hunter .410 before the year is out. :D

Signature 

Posted: 28 January 2014 02:47 PM   [ # 9 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

i’m on a fixed income, i’m through for the year. i got to save up for another trip. i really want to go to Mexico and fish Lake Salto or go to Falcon.

Signature 

Posted: 28 January 2014 03:09 PM   [ # 10 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-12

If you go to Falcon look up Texas Bass Hawgs guide service. That who is I did my guided trip with on Lake Austin last march. Bryan is a good guide and will put you on fish and hopefully big ones if they are in the mood to bite.

Signature 

Posted: 28 January 2014 03:46 PM   [ # 11 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
LilJakeC - 28 January 2014 03:09 PM

If you go to Falcon look up Texas Bass Hawgs guide service. That who is I did my guided trip with on Lake Austin last march. Bryan is a good guide and will put you on fish and hopefully big ones if they are in the mood to bite.

Thanks for the tip jake, do they provide the gear or do i need to bring my own? if they provide, what brands do they use?

Signature 

Posted: 28 January 2014 05:49 PM   [ # 12 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-12
CincySid - 28 January 2014 03:46 PM
LilJakeC - 28 January 2014 03:09 PM

Thanks for the tip jake, do they provide the gear or do i need to bring my own? if they provide, what brands do they use?

He provides the gear. You can bring yours if you want but I honestly don’t think it would be heavy enough for fishing for those double digit bass down there. All but 2 of the rods in his box are custom rods. He uses the old Shimano Bantam Curados. When I was with him, if I wasn’t using a crankbait rod, I was using a 7 1/2ft flipping stick. We used these to throw weightless senkos on as well. We wouldn’t normally think of throwing a senko on a broom stick, but down there they do just because you have such a high chance of hooking into a big bass that you want to have control over them.

Signature 

Posted: 28 January 2014 07:55 PM   [ # 13 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-24

i want to fish the same two lakes also. BH

Posted: 28 January 2014 07:59 PM   [ # 14 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-17

I take back my being done, I just went through all me rods & I only have one 7’-7’6” MH that’s not on it’s way out, so I might be picking up a Veracity. Should be a really good rod, same specs as the Verdict, but with nano & without that stupid extended handle and I really liked my Verdict outside of that damn handle.

Signature 

Posted: 28 January 2014 08:08 PM   [ # 15 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-24

Are you talking about the split handle?? it took me a little getting use to but now most of my rods are split handled. BH

1 2 > 
1 of 2

‹‹ Shimano Chronarch      Which One ??? ››