Okuma Komodo
Posted: 07 March 2014 03:28 PM
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2102
Joined  2008-04-08

Just picked up a brand new Okuma Komodo 254V baitcaster.  I’m looking to make this my spinnerbait reel coupled with my Quantum Tour Edition PT 6’6” MH rod.  Currently I have a Quantum e760 which will move to my worm rod.

Should be here Monday - can’t wait to use it.

Here’s the stock information from Okuma on the reel:

http://www.okumafishing.com/product/view/reels/baitcast-reels-low-profile/komodo

Signature 

My wife is my favorite fishing partner.

Posted: 11 March 2014 01:57 PM   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-08

The reel arrived yester and I spooled it up with 12lb Suffix Siege and tied on one of the spinnerbaits I assembled over the winter - I’m ready to go.

A few of things I noticed right off the bat:

1st: it is extremely light, 6.5 oz.  The Quantum e750pt I was using weighs over 9oz.  While I’ve never had an issue with the weight of a reel - I could really fall in love with this lighter reel.  I do have a newer Energy PT reel from Quantum and it only weighs 6.9oz but the Okuma just seems super light.

2nd: the knobs are foam like - extra soft and easy to grip - LOVE THAT.  Heather actually played with it a little last - didn’t know if I was going to get it back from her.

3rd: it has a 3-year warranty.  Quantum reels (even their high-end EXO PT 300s and KVDs) only have a 1-year warranty.

Signature 

Posted: 11 March 2014 05:33 PM   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1060
Joined  2009-04-24

i like lite!!!! How does it cast? I have older reels I don’t used any more that when I do it’s like lifting weights. lol compared to the new ones made today. BH

Posted: 12 March 2014 01:44 PM   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-08

How does it cast?

Great.  I took it down to the pond for about 15 minutes.  Didn’t get an hits, so I can’t tell you how it handles fighting a fish.

It’s the first baitcaster I’ve owned that has internal brakes - Okuma calls it the velocity control system.  I set it before I left the house and didn’t have any problem while throwing the 1/2oz spinnerbait into a brisk wind.

Signature 

Posted: 15 March 2014 09:10 AM   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1060
Joined  2009-04-24

nice. BH

Posted: 15 March 2014 05:31 PM   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28

good for u Flyman, its nice to be able to try one out like that and shake the bugs out before the fish get active. No open water here yet, but maybe in a couple of weeks, i hope. I still got my EXO and Veritas to try out.

Signature 

‹‹ Which One ???      What’s a guy to do? ››