What would you buy?
Posted: 11 May 2014 12:28 PM
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28

I just found out yesterday i will get $3000 more back for my tax return. If you had $750 - $1000 to spend on a new rod and reel, both baitcasting and spinning, what would you buy?

I’m looking for all around techniques, not technique specific. please give me the length, power and actions of the rods and speeds of the reels.

Give you an idea, i’m looking at a Quantum smoke reel with a quantum rod for baitcasting and a EXO rod and reel combo. 7’ M or MH for the rods and a 6.X:1 for the reels.

Any ideas will be helpful, thanks guys!

Signature 

Posted: 11 May 2014 12:59 PM   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1335
Joined  2008-04-06

For rods, there is nothing like St Croix. 
Me??.....I’d get as many varieties of St Croix Legend Tournament rods as I can (I currently have 12 of them !) .  I have used nearly every rod out there and these are in mu opinion, the “best of the best”.  They ain’t cheap, but they are not the most expensive either (by a long shot). 

Reels….there are lots of good ones.  Pick what suits you.  I’d go Shimano Calcutta TE or for low profile maybe a reel from Abu.

Signature 

“Is this Heaven ?....no it’s Minnesota.  That’s funny, I could have sworn it was Heaven”

Posted: 11 May 2014 01:23 PM   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
AAav8or - 11 May 2014 12:59 PM

For rods, there is nothing like St Croix. 
Me??.....I’d get as many varieties of St Croix Legend Tournament rods as I can (I currently have 12 of them !) .  I have used nearly every rod out there and these are in mu opinion, the “best of the best”.  They ain’t cheap, but they are not the most expensive either (by a long shot). 

Reels….there are lots of good ones.  Pick what suits you.  I’d go Shimano Calcutta TE or for low profile maybe a reel from Abu.

Thanks, i never had a St. Croix rod but have heard good things bout them. I have Revo and lews reels and i like them, but I’ve been reading a lot of good reviews about the Smoke. Thanks

Signature 

Posted: 11 May 2014 01:54 PM   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1060
Joined  2009-04-24

i would save it until you really need it. or to get a ticket to come down south. lol BH

Posted: 11 May 2014 02:55 PM   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
Buckethead Lure - 11 May 2014 01:54 PM

i would save it until you really need it. or to get a ticket to come down south. lol BH

I’m working on it, thought has occurred to me. i would like to go to El Salto and Falcon and north for smallmouth fishing, again, like St. Clair, The Wisconsin Bays, or KVD lakes

Signature 

Posted: 11 May 2014 07:21 PM   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-24

i hear ya, i’d love to fish Falcon and El Salto. St. Clair for small month would be great. instead I fished this morning (holiday park )  early for a few hours and had 5 fish 28lbs. I caught 5 3lbers in 15 min. on top water frogs. about 8:00am I caught a real nice healthy 6lber on a light rod with 12lb test. She gave me a great fight. the water has dropped a couple of feet which has turned the fishing on. they had a tournament out here yesterday and 33lbs won it. nice fish. i left this morning at 9:30 because it is mothers day or no telling what I would have caught. I fished from 6:30am to 9:30am and had 28 lbs. hard to leave but my wife comes first.  :(  lol   BH   i’ll send pic’s to Jakes e-mail so he can post. not sure why i can’t except i must be a dummy.

Posted: 11 May 2014 07:31 PM   [ # 6 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-24

i sent pic’s to liljake, hopefully he can post them. Hey Jake, I need more Jakes baits, are you still pouring? BH

Posted: 12 May 2014 05:38 AM   [ # 7 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
Buckethead Lure - 11 May 2014 07:21 PM

i hear ya, i’d love to fish Falcon and El Salto. St. Clair for small month would be great. instead I fished this morning (holiday park )  early for a few hours and had 5 fish 28lbs. I caught 5 3lbers in 15 min. on top water frogs. about 8:00am I caught a real nice healthy 6lber on a light rod with 12lb test. She gave me a great fight. the water has dropped a couple of feet which has turned the fishing on. they had a tournament out here yesterday and 33lbs won it. nice fish. i left this morning at 9:30 because it is mothers day or no telling what I would have caught. I fished from 6:30am to 9:30am and had 28 lbs. hard to leave but my wife comes first.  :(  lol   BH   i’ll send pic’s to Jakes e-mail so he can post. not sure why i can’t except i must be a dummy.

i was hoping to take my brother, i’ll know for sure after Memorial Day. If he doesn’t want to go, i’d like to come down there after labor day or partner up to go to one of the other places, if you are willing.

Signature 

Posted: 19 May 2014 07:42 AM   [ # 8 ]
Bass
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  104
Joined  2009-01-17

I have been a Kistler rod fan for years but the last 5 rods I have bought are Temple Fork signature. These are Gary Loomis designed rods. $99 at Bass pro. 7 ft med action. Find 3 Shimano Curado E models and 3 of these rods you will be set for years. Just my opinion.

Posted: 20 May 2014 10:21 PM   [ # 9 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3416
Joined  2008-11-12
Buckethead Lure - 11 May 2014 07:31 PM

i sent pic’s to liljake, hopefully he can post them. Hey Jake, I need more Jakes baits, are you still pouring? BH

Sorry for not getting back with you sooner BH. I haven’t been on here in a while since it has been practically dead around here lol. Yes I am still pouring. My schedule is just starting to open up with college getting done last week and the soccer season coming to an end within the next 2 weeks so I won’t be refereeing in my free time. What colors are you looking for? I can’t remember what colors you bought the last time I poured for you.

Signature 

Does sleeping with the fishes equate to basstiality? LOL LOL LOL

Posted: 25 May 2014 05:14 PM   [ # 10 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-24

i like green with red fleck. i only have a few left. I some more of Jakes baits. lol pumpkin seed?? red and green fleck. Let me know and I’ll send you the money pay pal. BH

Posted: 25 May 2014 10:54 PM   [ # 11 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3416
Joined  2008-11-12
Buckethead Lure - 25 May 2014 05:14 PM

i like green with red fleck. i only have a few left. I some more of Jakes baits. lol pumpkin seed?? red and green fleck. Let me know and I’ll send you the money pay pal. BH

So pumpkinseed and watermelon red flake are the colors you want?

Signature 

Does sleeping with the fishes equate to basstiality? LOL LOL LOL

Posted: 26 May 2014 06:15 PM   [ # 12 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-24

yes, I also like dark blue with black fleck. let me know and how much. BH

‹‹ My spring to get Okuma      Need a suggestion ››