Need a suggestion
Posted: 30 May 2014 04:07 PM
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1335
Joined  2008-04-06

I need some help on choosing a rod for spinning tackle.  Here’s the details:

I always keep 3 rods on my boat set up for spinning gear for guests who don’t fish bait cast stuff like I do.  I have 2 setups already….both with Shimano Stradic reels and St Croix Legend Tournament rods (bought at the factory for around $110 instead of the usual $220 !!)

I am buying a 3rd setup and have already bought a Shimano Stradic 400 reel at Cabelas but I am stumped on a good M or MH spinning rod.  It has to be able to manage the occasional big Pike or Musky (albeit not perfectly but with effort), but still manage smallies and Walleye .  It should be around 6’8” or 7’ in length and either fast or very fast action.
I’d like to spend about $100 plus or minus $15.

Any ideas would help.
Thanks

Signature 

“Is this Heaven ?....no it’s Minnesota.  That’s funny, I could have sworn it was Heaven”

Posted: 30 May 2014 04:21 PM   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1835
Joined  2008-03-26

What about a St Croix Mojo, I have one and its nice for the money.

Signature 

when in doubt swing it

Posted: 31 May 2014 09:49 AM   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1335
Joined  2008-04-06

Sounds like a good alternative.  I’ll take a look today.  Headed to the new Cabelas in MN.

Thanks

Signature 

“Is this Heaven ?....no it’s Minnesota.  That’s funny, I could have sworn it was Heaven”

Posted: 31 May 2014 03:26 PM   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28

Get a Kistler Carbon Steel, 6’10” M. I’ve got 2 Carbon steels, one spinning and one baitcasting, they are sweet and $100 on tackleWarehouse.com. they are light, sensitive and like the ugly stik, virtually indestructible. if i could, i would switch all my rods to Kistlers.

Signature 

‹‹ What would you buy?      Scored 2 sweet deals ››