Extremely fast reels
Posted: 02 March 2015 06:26 AM
Shad
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-01-17

Dear Kevin,
  I enjoyed your comments on “extremely fast reels” in the article, “Going to Extremes”, by Mark Hicks in the Jan/Feb 2015 issue of BASSMASTER.  Do you think during your 2014 tournament season, you could have covered even MORE water (and perhaps caught a few more fish) by using a reel in the situations you mentioned (frogging or pitching and reeling back fast over dead water) with a line recovery of MORE than what the Quantum PT SL100XPTA Smoke Speed Freak has?  (Speed Freak has 35”, while an ABU Revo Rocket has 37”)  I am not trying to be harsh here, and know you are loyal to your sponsors, but would like your honest comments.  This sport, as others, can be called a game of inches, and two more inches times “X” amount of distance, times “X” amount of casts could result in more water covered and more pounds in the livewell.
  Sincerely,
  Andy Williamson

Posted: 02 March 2015 07:45 PM   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1060
Joined  2009-04-24

hey Andy i can tell you that i followed Kevin before in tournaments and i dont think anyone covers more water faster than him. its crazy. i think he fishes too fast at times. the real question is does he change his batteries because he never stops his trolling motor ( like ever). sometimes even when he catches a fish he doesn’t stop. BH

Posted: 03 March 2015 08:08 PM   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28

I agree BH, although some of those super fast reels have their purpose. I’ve been more inclined to going to slower reels myself, not faster

Signature