Problem with carolina rig twisting at the weight
Posted: 14 October 2008 12:53 AM   [ Ignore ]
Shad
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-10-14

I live on Lake Barkley KY and have had to when fishing on some ledges having to use a braid leader on some of the them. I am assuming Im breaking off on muscles but not sure. Its happened frequently on my flourocarbon leader so I have gone to a braid leader. The problem has been it will start to twist at the weight and swivel. Do you think its the braid or is it just a bad brand of swivel?

Posted: 14 October 2008 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1895
Joined  2008-01-18

a bead in between might help a little bit if the problem is the weight sticking on the knot, and then causing it to twist. im not to sure what else would cause that except like you said, a bad swivel.  if you dont use a plastic bead in between the knot and weight, I would give that a shot and see if it helps.

Signature 

“Everybody wanna be big, everybody wanna be strong, everybody wanna be a bodybuilder or powerlifter, but nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight, but I DO!!!!” - Ronnie Coleman

Posted: 14 October 2008 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3199
Joined  2007-03-17

Strange problem, never had this happen to me.  I think you may have said it best,  the swivel is probably bad.  Try using a ball bearing swivel and not the old barrel swivel.  I like the swivel by spro, very smooth and strong.

Signature 

Eat Sleep and Fish Skeeter

Posted: 14 October 2008 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04

Hmmm, I would think that the main line would be more prone to abrasion due to the tension from pulling the weight through muscles/rocks/cover. Had you tried a heavy mono for your leader? The buoyancy of the mono may help lift the bait off the bottom enough to reduce your problem. I only suggest this because I figure Barkley’s water is stained enough to get away with the heavier leader.

Signature 

Posted: 10 January 2009 11:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  286
Joined  2007-03-07

Basmaster1,

I use a welded ring ball bearing swivel to eliminate the twist.
I use the swivels from Mustad.

KVD

Signature 

It’s all about the attitude. - Kevin VanDam