1 of 2
Best Bass Boat for the Money
Posted: 23 January 2009 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]
Crappie
RankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2008-03-27

With everything considered, what do think is the best bass boat for under $30,000? Here in Oklahoma, Champion’s and Skeeters seem to be the most popular. I was looking into a Triton. All information is great, good and bad.

Signature 

“Fishing is the only sport where everytime you catch a fish, it feels like the very first one you ever caught.” Rick Clunn

Posted: 23 January 2009 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2386
Joined  2007-08-21

i really dont have the right to comment on this 1, BUT, as a co-angler the smoothest i have ridden in was big Rangers with competent drivers.

Signature 

Posted: 23 January 2009 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Joined  2008-03-27

Same here. I rode in a 1996 21 1/2 foot Ranger Commanche. It was nice.

Signature 

“Fishing is the only sport where everytime you catch a fish, it feels like the very first one you ever caught.” Rick Clunn

Posted: 23 January 2009 10:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3199
Joined  2007-03-17

I have to say I love my Skeeter,  fast, smooth and dry.  I use my boat on big lakes with big waves and have had no problems so far and its fast enough I can beat some people to the spots.  I also have plenty of storage and the livewells are the best I’ve seen.

Signature 

Eat Sleep and Fish Skeeter

Posted: 23 January 2009 10:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Joined  2008-03-27

Skeeters are very popular down here, and especially in Texas. I’ve seen where BassCat has been voted the best bass boat the last 4 years. Does anyone own or rode in one?

Signature 

Posted: 23 January 2009 10:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-17

Haven’t rode in a Basscat but I know Skeeter has won the JM and associates award for customser service the past 3 or 4 years.

Signature 

Posted: 23 January 2009 10:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-21

i rode in a bass cat this year, and it ran smooth. i know all models are different, but model i rode in has 0 room for co-angler, wasnt a gap between side wall and seat to stow rods, narrow back deck and no room to have rods on back deck and stand also with seat up.

Signature 

Posted: 23 January 2009 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Joined  2008-03-27

That sounds like a lower model BassCat. I know they have cat names for all their boats, like Puma. Was it called the “Kitty?” smile

Signature 

Posted: 23 January 2009 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-21

no idea, i didnt like it enough to pay attention.

Signature 

Posted: 23 January 2009 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Joined  2008-03-27

Nice…That’s funny. I can see it now. “Hey, man. You like my BassCat?” You answer “Hmm” with a shrugg of the shoulders. smile

Signature 

Posted: 23 January 2009 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1329
Joined  2008-04-06

The key to his question above is “under $30,000”. 

There is no Ranger you can buy NEW for under $30k that is much different from almost any other boat. When you go up to $50k, Rangers cannot be topped….by anything out there. 
But at $30k you are looking at at least a 5 year old Ranger, which is fine…..just not new.  It was not clear if he was looking at new or used.

If you are looking used,  you are using different criteria.  You need to look at condition of the motor and hull.  A $30K Ranger may not be in anywhere near as good shape as say a $30K Skeeter because they had different owners who cared for the boat differently.  Go with condition, and not necessarily brand at this point.  But for a NEW boat at $30k and under,  it’s a good question these days.  Depends on the water you fish. If it’s BIG water (Erie, Green Bay, Grand Traverse etc) go deep V aluminum like Alumacraft for that $30k.  You cannot touch a Lund for $30k so you are even limited on new aluminum.
If you only fish reservoirs…..almost anything will work.

Good luck and spend that money wisely.

Signature 

“Is this Heaven ?....no it’s Minnesota.  That’s funny, I could have sworn it was Heaven”

Posted: 23 January 2009 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-21

what funny, is in 2005 i moved to bama to fish and i fished a BFL at weiss lake, the boater passed about 10 boats that was idling going into a shallow are, he said you know why they are all idling so slow…..cause that new ranger just came out and its 50 grand and they are afraid to run this water.

Nitro has some good buys, i would look at Pro Craft also….there is a boat i dont hear many mention, but i read a lot about it and it seems nice, thats a Legend. Not sure on prices though, i cant afford it anyway.

Signature 

Posted: 23 January 2009 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-17

I think the top of the line Legend tops out at over $50K,  nice looking but way out my price range.

Signature 

Posted: 23 January 2009 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-06
Top10 - 24 January 2009 03:57 AM

what funny, is in 2005 i moved to bama to fish and i fished a BFL at weiss lake, the boater passed about 10 boats that was idling going into a shallow are, he said you know why they are all idling so slow…..cause that new ranger just came out and its 50 grand and they are afraid to run this water.

Nitro has some good buys, i would look at Pro Craft also….there is a boat i dont hear many mention, but i read a lot about it and it seems nice, thats a Legend. Not sure on prices though, i cant afford it anyway.

Yeah….good point.  ProCraft does make a very nice boat.  Tough to find dealers in some areas though.

Signature 

“Is this Heaven ?....no it’s Minnesota.  That’s funny, I could have sworn it was Heaven”

Posted: 23 January 2009 11:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Joined  2008-03-27

Let me make my question more specific. I live in Oklahoma. I’m looking for a New 18 foot single console bass boat with at least a 150 Mercury, no more than $30,000. I’ve looked at all the big name boat websites and this boat is around this price range. I know all about the accessories, and of course, I can always upgrade to a bigger motor or a hot foot. What do you think?

Signature 

Posted: 23 January 2009 11:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-06

I could be wrong on this but isn’t Skeeter affiliated with Yamaha…so all their boats come with Yammies.  That would eliminate that brand for you.

Signature 

1 of 2

‹‹ Bay boats      Jackall Swimbaits ››