making your own weedless hooks????
Posted: 13 March 2009 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1917
Joined  2007-12-13

Anyone have any tips or anything on how to make your hooks weedless like the ones with the wire guard on them?

Signature 

“Nothing like the smell of BANG in the morning”

Posted: 13 March 2009 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  111
Joined  2009-03-12
The Outdoorsman - 13 March 2009 03:04 PM

Anyone have any tips or anything on how to make your hooks weedless like the ones with the wire guard on them?

I have tied on a real heavy (50+ lbs) mono line in front of hooks to weedguard them. It’s soft enough to give when a fish strikes yet stout enough to stand up to weeds.

Signature 

Matthew 6:33
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
Matthew 6:32-34

Posted: 13 March 2009 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-13

I dont follow how you’re doing that.  I fish 50lb braid on my jig and tube rods and I dont see how it will stay put when bumped.  a pic??

Signature 

Posted: 13 March 2009 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-12

I will take a picture of what Im talking about when I get home. .It works well with mono. Like you say I dont think braid would work at all. This will really work though

Signature 

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

Posted: 13 March 2009 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2091
Joined  2008-04-08

I’ve used these with pretty good success.  The downside is they don’t last long.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_1997_100010000_100000000_100010000_100-10-0

Signature 

My wife is my favorite fishing partner.

Posted: 13 March 2009 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-12
The Outdoorsman - 13 March 2009 04:18 PM

I dont follow how you’re doing that.  I fish 50lb braid on my jig and tube rods and I dont see how it will stay put when bumped.  a pic??

ok I see i did a poor job explaining it let me explain it a bit better and I took a quick pic which I hope says a thousand words. I use this when I Texas rig. because the hook is buried sometimes I missed the fish. conversly when I exposed the hook I snagged more weeds. This method allows me to expose the hook and it runs nearly weedless allowing a good hook set.. Here’s how it’s done

#1With your main line tied to the hook.  tie a piece of stiff mono (30 lb or better) behind the eye of say a 1/0 straight shank worm hook. Run the line through the eye.

#2 Slide the worm on the hook, and poke the mono into the worm at the hook bend so that the mono forms a loop over the hook point. The loop is stiff enough to fend off weeds and brush but supple enough to give on strikes. This can be used with or without a bullet sinker. but I think it’s knot’s being covered by the bullet sinker make it work better with the bullet sinker.
This homemade weedguard is virtually at no cost and really works!

Signature 

Posted: 13 March 2009 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-13

First off I want to say I mis-read your original post, I read that you were using braid when in fact you said mono, sorry.  The picture is fuzzy and hard to tell how you attached the 50lb mono on there but I get the general idea now though.  And how you explaind how you attached it makes better sense too.  Thanks

Signature 

Posted: 13 March 2009 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-12

no problem. 50 may be a bit much will work with as little as 20, 30 is probably ideal. and you’re welcome

Signature 

Posted: 13 March 2009 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1895
Joined  2008-01-18

I saw a program once where KVD showed how to tie a weed guard using heavy flouro. I cant remember the knot but im sure you could invent a knot to make a weed guard

Signature 

“Everybody wanna be big, everybody wanna be strong, everybody wanna be a bodybuilder or powerlifter, but nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight, but I DO!!!!” - Ronnie Coleman

Posted: 15 March 2009 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5481
Joined  2007-03-04
Bassassasin - 13 March 2009 05:54 PM
The Outdoorsman - 13 March 2009 04:18 PM

ok I see i did a poor job explaining it let me explain it a bit better and I took a quick pic which I hope says a thousand words. I use this when I Texas rig. because the hook is buried sometimes I missed the fish. conversly when I exposed the hook I snagged more weeds. This method allows me to expose the hook and it runs nearly weedless allowing a good hook set.. Here’s how it’s done

#1With your main line tied to the hook.  tie a piece of stiff mono (30 lb or better) behind the eye of say a 1/0 straight shank worm hook. Run the line through the eye.

#2 Slide the worm on the hook, and poke the mono into the worm at the hook bend so that the mono forms a loop over the hook point. The loop is stiff enough to fend off weeds and brush but supple enough to give on strikes. This can be used with or without a bullet sinker. but I think it’s knot’s being covered by the bullet sinker make it work better with the bullet sinker.
This homemade weedguard is virtually at no cost and really works!

Good idea.

Signature 

Posted: 15 March 2009 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-12

It’s worked great for me and the great part i didn’t have to buy anything new it’s from stuff we all likely have allready!

Signature 

‹‹ Lucky Craft      jack plate? ››