1 of 2
Where do you go?
Posted: 10 June 2009 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]
Shad
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2009-05-26

When its about 87 degrees or less, there is no water flowing out of the lake, and the lake is pounded with tournaments and normal fisherman, where do you go? This lake is the toughest around my area and the hardest hit. I’m not really sure where to fish on the lake because it is new to me, but those are the conditions most of the time. Do you go on points, up in coves, in the creeks or what?
Thanks cool mad

Posted: 10 June 2009 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1917
Joined  2007-12-13

Time of year?  Is that water temp your are talking?  What kind of structure do you have there, rocks, stumps, fallen trees, brush????  What the water clarity?  any boat docks?

Signature 

“Nothing like the smell of BANG in the morning”

Posted: 10 June 2009 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Shad
Rank
Joined  2009-05-26

Time of year would be right now. The water temperature is about 76 to 78 during the day. All types of structure. Water clarity is ok, you can see probably about 3 feet down.

Posted: 10 June 2009 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-13

I would work the shallows in the morning and then work your way out to the deeper water (points).  If you know the travel routes of the fish, thats the best place to target.  Ledges, humps, points are all good spots to run a C-rig, jig, spinnerbait, deep crankbait around.

Signature 

Posted: 10 June 2009 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1895
Joined  2008-01-18

I would be finding the mats and frogging. I dont see very many anglers who frog, or know how to do it properly for that matter. If its really hot they seem to like the thick stuff for the shade.

Signature 

“Everybody wanna be big, everybody wanna be strong, everybody wanna be a bodybuilder or powerlifter, but nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight, but I DO!!!!” - Ronnie Coleman

Posted: 10 June 2009 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Shad
Rank
Joined  2009-05-26

That is probably the only type of structure that I have not saw on this lake. I love throwing frogs on ponds, but I have never tried throwing those there. Do frogs like fallen trees and stumps?

Posted: 10 June 2009 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-18
hoops5basketball - 10 June 2009 06:17 PM

That is probably the only type of structure that I have not saw on this lake. I love throwing frogs on ponds, but I have never tried throwing those there. Do frogs like fallen trees and stumps?

Yeah throw the frog by any cover you can find. Just thow it a little past the logs or stumps and then walk it through the cover. They will smash it.

Since you mentioned logs and stumps, try flipping them with jigs and beaver type baits also. Alot of times they will just hang out in the shaddow and wait to ambush something that passes by.

Signature 

“Everybody wanna be big, everybody wanna be strong, everybody wanna be a bodybuilder or powerlifter, but nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight, but I DO!!!!” - Ronnie Coleman

Posted: 10 June 2009 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-13

as well as shallow running crankbaits or square billed cranks.  Dont forget a spinnerbait too.

Signature 

Posted: 10 June 2009 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Shad
Rank
Joined  2009-05-26

I do not throw a jig much because I have never had much success with it, but I love flippin a beaver.

Posted: 10 June 2009 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  649
Joined  2009-03-17

I was never really into jigs either until I started using them only in the perfect conditions.  I got comfortable with them and now if I see some fallen timber or tight cover, I do what I’m doing all around the cover and then grab my jig rod and toss it in.

Signature 

One more fish, then I’ll come home.

Posted: 10 June 2009 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-18
hoops5basketball - 10 June 2009 06:34 PM

I do not throw a jig much because I have never had much success with it, but I love flippin a beaver.

Your missing out on alot of big fish. A jig is a great lure to use to get a big lazy bass. You should be able to get bit flippin them through mats and around timber. Give it another try.

Signature 

Posted: 10 June 2009 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Shad
Rank
Joined  2009-05-26

What are the best types of jigs and colors? Or does it depend on the lake you are fishing?

Posted: 10 June 2009 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-18
hoops5basketball - 10 June 2009 07:00 PM

What are the best types of jigs and colors? Or does it depend on the lake you are fishing?

Black/blue is pretty good for most conditions but I usually stick with natural colors in clear water. Something likethis willl work good

Signature 

Posted: 10 June 2009 03:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

I would be flipping creature baits, throwing spinnerbaits, and throwing buzzbaits.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 10 June 2009 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  755
Joined  2007-08-20

I would be fishing in the 6-10 ft. range. Throw fast moving lures at dusk, dawn and nighttime and a slow presentation during the heat of the day. This would be my guess based on what you said the conditions are. Good Luck!!

Signature 

Perfect practice makes perfect

Posted: 10 June 2009 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04

If this lake is high pressure then your best bet for catching better quality fish is to go deep, or at least fish near deep water. You should still be able to catch fish on the shoreline cover but most likely they will not be the bigger fish. If you have a depthfinder pull out to the channels, points, humps, ledges and start looking for the baitfish. The bigger fish shouldnt be far behind them.

Signature 

1 of 2

‹‹ High winds      "bowl" style lakes ››