1 of 2
The one that got away.
Posted: 03 August 2009 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1895
Joined  2008-01-18

So it goes like this, true story nothing made up.

I was on my family vacation up in the U.P of MI. We were staying at autrain river basin and going on are 5th day there. During the week, I managed to get a dozen pike under 21 inches and one over 42 inches that got released at the side of the boat wink
I was told there were alot of pig smallies in there but I was skeptakil because I didnt catch any so far. I was told about a dam up on the north side of the lake so I thought I would try it. I dragged my mom and my brother along with me. When we got there it looked perfect, Deep water, and there were rocks everywhere. I first tied on a jig and grub combo, I dropped it down and first cast I hooked into a nice smallie, got it to the edge and then it jumped, My line went slack. I was a little upset, but not too bad because it was only a 2.5 lber. Time went on and I got 2 more. The action was starting to slow but I wanted to try a tube jig before I left, even though I had no confidence in it.  I casted a number of times with it and had no success, I was going to give it a couple more tries and descided to cast under a over hang on the dam. I let it sink maybe 10 ft. and then I reeled in the slack, My line went tight, and I set the hook on something that felt like a solid rock, But then it jerked back, My heartbeat raced like no other. It was a fight I have never experienced before, the headshakes were insane. 3 minutes into the fight I got a glimpse of the fish, my heart almost stopped. The size of the smallie on my line was so unbeilievable I thought it had to be a carp. I got it closer and closer and I could now see I had a smallmouth of record breaking porportions. I was yelling at the top of my lungs for my mom and my brother to give me room to fight the fish,even though they were well out of the way because they new I had a big one on. When I finally got it to where I could grab it, I knew I had the new state record within my grasp. I grabbed my line and when I went to lip it, It gave a massive headshake. My line then broke and the fish swam into the depths. I didnt know how to feel at that point. I wanted to cry but at the same time felt satisfied. I know it was probably my own fault I lost it, I got too excited and probably rushed the fight too much. I was pissed at myself for being an idiot and forgeting a net and also trying to land it how I would a 3lber. If I had to guess a weight of it I would guess it would have been well over 9lbs. Just cant get over the size of it. Anyways I am going remember this for the rest of my life and probably going to have alot of skeptical people tell me that there is no way I could have hooked into a state record or maybe world record size smallmouth bass for all I know.

Signature 

“Everybody wanna be big, everybody wanna be strong, everybody wanna be a bodybuilder or powerlifter, but nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight, but I DO!!!!” - Ronnie Coleman

Posted: 03 August 2009 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

Ouch. that’s why I carry a net.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 03 August 2009 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1866
Joined  2008-06-28

Those fish are why we fish. I think everyone has hooked into that type of fish. Maybe not a record fish, but a nice fish that at the very list was a no doubt wall hanger that got away.

Signature 

“Formley Known As Miller Time”

Posted: 03 August 2009 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3416
Joined  2008-11-12

That hurts to even read it!!! LOL!!! That just means that you have to go back to that lake and try even harder to catch it or one even bigger.

Signature 

Does sleeping with the fishes equate to basstiality? LOL LOL LOL

Posted: 03 August 2009 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1989
Joined  2009-02-17

That kind of thing always sucks. The closest I came to any sort of amazing fish that got away was when I was trying to catch a few of the catfish my uncle was feeding every night for a fish fry. Well I hooked one near the neighbor’s dock & wrestled it around & got it about 5-10 feet from the dock I was fishing from thinking it felt like a 4-6lber, a decent eater. Then right as I was getting it to the surface it turned profile to show me it was atleast 3 feet long & over a foot thick & took off and broke the 10lb test I was using in an instant.  It looked like it had scales, so I think it might have been one of the huge carp that shows up there for a free meal. I know my uncle caught a 70+ lber on 6lb stren, but it took him running up & down the bank & around all the docks for about 3 hours to get it in. tongue laugh He’s works with a guy that’s at the Bass Pro Shop in Olathe so much, he’s pretty much an unpayed employee who told story & showed the pic to a Stren rep & my uncle got some free line out of it.

Signature 

Posted: 03 August 2009 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-27

The state record carp is only 50lbs….

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 03 August 2009 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-17

I don’t know, maybe he exaggerated a bit, but it was really big & might have been a state record if he had gone about pursuing it instead of throwing it back after getting a few pics. I’ve seen the things in the water down there, they’re gargantuan & lengthwise they’re right there with the state record’s length.

Signature 

Posted: 03 August 2009 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-27

Are you sure its a carp? I’ve never heard of a carp being mistaken for a catfish… they aren’t even the same color.

Signature 

Posted: 03 August 2009 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04

Dang man, tough luck. Fish like that make it all worth it. Pat yourself on the back though, you figured that fish out. And thats 90% of fishing.

Signature 

Posted: 03 August 2009 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-17

My uncle’s fish was a carp, a huge carp he somehow caught on a bucktail. I was fishing for catfish & thought I had a catfish until it’s scales flashed just under the surface before it turned, burned, & broke my line when I realized it was most likely one of the big carp that are in that lake.

Signature 

Posted: 03 August 2009 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-27

Sounds like your talking about a white amur and not a carp.

Signature 

Posted: 03 August 2009 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3416
Joined  2008-11-12

Well where I live in SW IA we have some huge carp and catfish. I have a friend of mine who has caught numerous 45lb carp. The state record Buffalo, Common Carp, Channel and Blue catfish, and yellow bass all have came within 15miles of me with the Yellow bass and Buffalo being caught on my local lake. Some people say that there are some 50 or so pound carp roaming my local lake. It wouldn’t surprise me as my local lake is known to be a great carp fishery.

Signature 

Does sleeping with the fishes equate to basstiality? LOL LOL LOL

Posted: 03 August 2009 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-17

I should’ve specified grass carp, AKA white amur, instead of just saying carp like a common carp.

Signature 

Posted: 03 August 2009 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  803
Joined  2008-01-30

Have you got any sleep since? Thats tough…

Signature 

Sling a 5 pounder in the boat

Posted: 03 August 2009 07:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1889
Joined  2009-02-05

bad deal profisher…i wanna cry when i lose a 3 pound largemouth.

Posted: 03 August 2009 08:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2009-07-08

Man that sucks I’ve got excited and lost lots of big fish too. Well maybe you’ll catch that monster smallie again ahen shes bigger.

Signature 

tongue wink
    Brent

1 of 2

‹‹ Vacation 2009      Camp 09 ››