Palomar Knot
Posted: 02 February 2010 03:44 AM   [ Ignore ]
Shad
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2010-01-31

Atmittadly I need to start using the palomar knot more than I do, but I am very picky about line abrasion.  And every time I sinch down a palomar knot I can see and feel where the line (floro) has been stressed.  I am always very careful to make sure that the line is sufficiently lubricated and I pull it at a smooth steady rate, but still I end up cutting the line and using a standard fishermans knot. Yet everyone else I see ties it the same way I do in about 4 seconds. What gives?  Any Ideas, tips, suggestions?

Signature 

PUMP EM!

Posted: 02 February 2010 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1895
Joined  2008-01-18

Make sure you wet the line/knot area before you tighten it up.

Signature 

“Everybody wanna be big, everybody wanna be strong, everybody wanna be a bodybuilder or powerlifter, but nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight, but I DO!!!!” - Ronnie Coleman

Posted: 02 February 2010 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1703
Joined  2009-07-07

I use the Palomar Knot for most of my fishing applications. I have found it to be a strong knot, and dependable with fluorocarbon. Wetting the knot before cinching it is an important step for tying the Palomar, because it helps reduce line friction. Another important step in tying the Palomar is making sure you apply equal pressure on both the main line, and the tag end when cinching down the knot.

If you are that worried about the knot failing, you can also tie a Double Palomar knot. It is tied very much the same way . The one difference between the Palomar, and the Double Palomar is, instead tying one over hand knot, the Double Palomar Knot is tied with two over hand knots before the lure, or hook is passed through the loop and cinched down. I normally tie the Double Palomar knot when I use braid. The second over hand knot is extra insurance to protect against line slippage.

Signature 

Hope you catch your biggest bass ever on your next fishing trip.

Posted: 02 February 2010 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

To be honest, I use the improved clinch for everything except braid. I can tie it in a split second and it rarely fails on me.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 02 February 2010 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04

I use the Palomar about 95% of the time. Rarely have issues. I cant see the friction/heat caused when tightening the knot to be enough to cause your line to fray. Especially if you are wetting the line.
What line are you using and how old is it?

*I just tied 5-6 knots with some 17lb XPS Fluoro I used last season. Didnt wet the line and wasnt careful when tightening it down. No issues with fray.

Only tip I can offer man is check your line before you tie your knot. Maybe the line is already knicked. I typically go up 24” or so before I retie to help get rid of any rough line that may be near the hook.

Signature 

Posted: 03 February 2010 02:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Shad
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2010-01-31

I tried bassfish* tip about using equal pressure on both the main line and the tag end, and that helped alot. I was pulling one then the other before.  I know it’s not my line because I re spool before every tournament and about every 3-4 casual trips and I only use Berkley 100% for my floro.  There wasn’t an issue of line frey, it just looked different (prob just paranoid).  It looks alot better now.  I’ll make sure to let you know how it works in the real world, if this damn ice ever melts!!!!  Thanks for the tips guys!

Signature 

PUMP EM!

‹‹ KA-CHOW      The Complete Master Series ››