Line choice for heavy cover
Posted: 03 February 2010 07:52 AM   [ Ignore ]
Crappie
RankRank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2010-01-30

I was curious to see what choice in fishing line others in here were using for bass fishing in heavy cover, such as lilly pads, laydowns, and so on. Last year I used the Trilene 100% Flourocarbon line and did pretty well with it. I’ve used braid and it’s very nice for using in these conditions, but when using jigs and soft plastics, I had more hits with flourocarbon line. I’ve also used copolymer lines such as Bagley SilverThread and that works very well for me as well. For some reason, I seem to have many more hits using a green tinted line in our local waters than I do a clear line. I would like to try a copolymer line thats is abrasion resistant with a green tint in 20 pound test this year but I havn’t seen any such animal yet. So whats your line choices for pitchin and flippin into heavy cover this year?

Signature 

Just one more cast

Posted: 03 February 2010 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  463
Joined  2009-10-16

Sounds like you have about covered them all and with good luck too. With that being the case I would suggest to use the one you like the best from all those you mentioned. Seems like you got a good handle on it.
good luck,
Niko

Posted: 03 February 2010 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1703
Joined  2009-07-07
keithdog - 03 February 2010 12:52 PM

I would like to try a copolymer line thats is abrasion resistant with a green tint in 20 pound test this year but I havn’t seen any such animal yet.

Here are two lines you might be interested in. P-Line CXX X-tra Strong Copolymer, and P-Line Floroclear, are both copolymer lines offered in the green tint you are looking for. Its not too expensive. At Bass Pro Shops P-Line CXX, and Floroclear 17-20 LB test line is $10.99 for 300-260 yards.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchResults?hvarSearchString=P-line+&searchOption=products&storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId;=-1&CMID=TOP_SEARCH_GO

Signature 

Hope you catch your biggest bass ever on your next fishing trip.

Posted: 03 February 2010 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2010-01-30
bassfish* - 03 February 2010 04:00 PM
keithdog - 03 February 2010 12:52 PM

I would like to try a copolymer line thats is abrasion resistant with a green tint in 20 pound test this year but I havn’t seen any such animal yet.

Here are two lines you might be interested in. P-Line CXX X-tra Strong Copolymer, and P-Line Floroclear, are both copolymer lines offered in the green tint you are looking for. Its not too expensive. At Bass Pro Shops P-Line CXX, and Floroclear 17-20 LB test line is $10.99 for 300-260 yards.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchResults?hvarSearchString=P-line+&searchOption=products&storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId;=-1&CMID=TOP_SEARCH_GO

Have you by chance been able to try the P-Line CXX line? I’m wondering if it’s a stiff line that has memory problems?

Signature 

Just one more cast

Posted: 03 February 2010 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1889
Joined  2009-02-05

17 lb. Vicious Fluorocarbon does the job for me. It holds up well and casts nice. I started using it last year after trading in the Vanish line.

Posted: 03 February 2010 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04

I use mostly 17-20lb fluorocarbon for jigs. Fish it in just about all types of cover. Use BPS XPS line most of the time due to the heavy discount for staff members. I was looking at the Silver Thread Fluorocarbon too. I may give some of that a shot this year.

Signature 

Posted: 03 February 2010 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3416
Joined  2008-11-12

I use 17 or 20lb test fluoro or 50lb braid. For the braid I use BPS Excel braid and I don’t have a fluoro that I stick with throughout the season though.

Signature 

Does sleeping with the fishes equate to basstiality? LOL LOL LOL

Posted: 03 February 2010 10:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Shad
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2010-01-31

I use 65lb Spiderwire Stealth braid with a 5-6 foot (usally roughly 2 feet shorter than my rod) 20lb Berkley 100% floro leader tied together with a double uni knot. (check youtube for knot instructions)  Unless the water has less than 6 inches of visibility then I ditch the leader. 

I like the backbone that the braid gives and the clarity of the floro will result in more strikes, also the braid floats and makes line watching much easier

Signature 

PUMP EM!

Posted: 04 February 2010 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1703
Joined  2009-07-07
keithdog - 03 February 2010 11:29 PM

Have you by chance been able to try the P-Line CXX line? I’m wondering if it’s a stiff line that has memory problems?

Have not used P-Line CXX, but I have used P-Line Floroclear. Its a good line, but I prefer 100% Fluorocarbon lines over Copolymer. I use BPS Sig. Series Fluorocarbon for a lot of applications. Its great for fishing soft plastics, Pitchn’ & Flippn’, Spinnerbaits, and crankbaits, and is reliable in heavy cover. I also like the fact that is more affordable than other 100% fluorocarbon lines.

Signature 

Hope you catch your biggest bass ever on your next fishing trip.

Posted: 04 February 2010 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1326
Joined  2008-09-22

I will be using Stren 20 pd. Braid for all topwater this year, with Stren 15 pd. Flouricarbon for all underwater applications. Last year I used Stren 15 pd. mono for everything, and had a great year. This will be my first year changing lines, and It usually takestrying out stuff for me before I can make a judgement call.

Signature 

http://www.livingwaters.com
Trust in Jesus. He will never leave you, nor forsake you.
He will never let you down.

Posted: 05 February 2010 02:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Shad
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2010-01-31

You will wish you had changed to floro earlier!  The only reason I buy mono anymore is for topwater.  Although I have never tried Stren Floro, I’m sure it’s fine, but if you’re not happy with it give Berkley 100% a try (great rebate on berkley products through bass pro right now)

Good Luck!

Signature 

PUMP EM!

Posted: 05 February 2010 06:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3199
Joined  2007-03-17

Here in Michigan we are dealt with very clear water and weedy lakes,  when I’m out fishing weed covered flats and such I use flourocarbon line pitching baits I go up to 20# and when throwing senkos I like 12-14#,  lipless baits I will use line between 14-17#.  Now if I’m fishing frogs over pads I will use 65# braid or when I’m pitching to pad fields because the braid will cut thru the pad stems when a fish runs making it easier to land them.

Signature 

Eat Sleep and Fish Skeeter

Posted: 05 February 2010 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2386
Joined  2007-08-21

i put P-Line Cxx on 4 reels, its super strong, BUT, the memory is bad and it is superstiff. I dont backlash much, but within 1 hour i had all 4 reels unusable.

Now, I dont want to put P-Line down, cause P-Line halo is by far the best line i have ever used, Mist green flouro, strong as can be and cast well without a bunch of memory and stiffness. Viscious makes great line too, and i use them cause i reline so often i cant afford 22.00 per reel for halo once a month.

Signature 

‹‹ Price check!!!      gps ››