1 of 2
bass fishing in southern illinois.
Posted: 14 February 2010 11:50 PM   [ Ignore ]
Shad
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2010-02-11

hi kevin! I really hope to hear from the real you. How would you like to come fishing a day with me on one of the best lakes in Southern Illinois. It has alot of grass and flats and points and drops and tons of deep cover. It is one of the most productive lakes in the area. Its called Lake of Eypt. Its alot of fun. you can email me at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) if you accept my offer. I would be honored. we could have a blast on this lake cause i have had countless days catching alot fish burning a spinnerbait on this clear water lake. hope to hear from you and good luck on the upcoming 2010 year.

Posted: 15 February 2010 12:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2386
Joined  2007-08-21

nice powerplant lake. some decent fish in that lake, one of the few lakes in Illinois where a swimbait works good. The plant inlet and outlet are all on one end of the lake, so the other end will freeze, but they catch good fish there throwing jerkbaits against the ice and working them back. I have caught a few 5+ on black frogs and punching grass with Jigs

Signature 

Posted: 15 February 2010 12:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  803
Joined  2008-01-30

I read they stock trout in that lake, and that 10lbers have been caught out of there.. That was in my Illinois lake map book, i forget what its called. Those things arnt always accurate tho, so is that true about that lake. I’d kind of like to fish it.

Signature 

Sling a 5 pounder in the boat

Posted: 15 February 2010 12:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-21

There are lakes that 10’s are in, but far and few between. Maybe a small few from Egypt, there also some other lakes close with bigger fish, but 10 hp limits. Egypt is a nice lake, but you cant fish 10’ from ANYONES dock. Its a good lake, but i would rather fish Newton

Signature 

Posted: 15 February 2010 12:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-30
Top10 - 15 February 2010 05:32 AM

There are lakes that 10’s are in, but far and few between. Maybe a small few from Egypt, there also some other lakes close with bigger fish, but 10 hp limits. Egypt is a nice lake, but you cant fish 10’ from ANYONES dock. Its a good lake, but i would rather fish Newton

Yeah, Newton sounds like the place to be. I’m pretty sure i’m going to head up there next weekend if the weather is decent. Hopefully i’ll get to fish a couple times this year, we’ll see. I’ve never been there before, so i dont really know what to expect.. but from the way it sounds, if your not catching big fish your not doing something right

Signature 

Posted: 15 February 2010 12:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-21

It takes a 4 lb fish to be a keeper. I have a friend who had a team tourn there, 6 fish went 36 lbs. 25 hp limit on big motor on newton, If weather isnt decent the lake still fishes great. Eqypt is a great lake too though, i wouldnt overlook it, and its not a 25 hp limit. More grass in egypt too

Signature 

Posted: 15 February 2010 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  203
Joined  2009-02-03

I have never fished Egypt, but have fished Newton (last year) and had a blast. Great lake.

Posted: 15 February 2010 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Shad
Rank
Joined  2010-02-11

ive never had the chance to go to newton lake. ive heard its good but never been there to see for myself. I have always fished the ohio river(smithland pool) and rend lake for most of my tournament trails. but i have to say that they have treated pretty good. Won a decent amount of money both places and have done prety well in the points standings at rend lake along with several checks since 2005. ive mainly spent time on lake of egypt just pleasure fishing and learning it more the past few years before i start doin very many tournaments there. ive fished a few there but it always seems to not go very good on tournament day for me there. bad karma there for me i guess. but like many others ive had plenty of great days and have caught several 5+ pounders there and a hand full of 6s. like i said tho im def more productive on tournament day on rend lake and at the ohio river. and i will be there again this year as well. i go sponsored last year financially for tournament entry fees so thats a huge help.

Posted: 15 February 2010 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Shad
Rank
Joined  2010-02-11

as far as there bein trout in there…idk…i personally have never heard that before about lake of egypt…but i know for a fact that there is trout in devils kitchen…and suprisigly enough there is really small jelly fish in devils kitchen lake…ive seen them right next to the boat. its really neat. and yes there has been 10s out of lake of egypt..and ive even seen pics of a couple over 11 from egypt.

Posted: 15 February 2010 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-30

Devils Kitchen! thats the one i read about trout.. sorry bout that, theres probably not any trout in lake of Egypt

Signature 

Posted: 15 February 2010 05:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-21

little grassy is a nice lake too. You should go to Newton if you havent been. Eqypt may put out some big ones, but newton may give you 20 5+ ina day

Signature 

Posted: 15 February 2010 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Shad
Rank
Joined  2010-02-11

Yes devils kitchen…and that lake produces several 10s and bigger every year and several between 5 and 9 year round. last spring during one club tournament at devils kitchen there was 3 over ten and 5 between 7 and 10 weighed out of only 12 boats. thats pretty awesome. its really deep and really clear and all standing timber. several grass areas to.

Posted: 15 February 2010 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Shad
Rank
Joined  2010-02-11

and yes little gassy is good to. i went there in novenber one year and went the back of one of the big creeks and smoked em burnin a spinnerbait on the flats that have laydowns and stumps. is was a good day. cauht several 3 to 5s.

Posted: 15 February 2010 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Shad
Rank
Joined  2010-02-11

anyone have any tips for kentucky lake for the beginning of may?

Posted: 15 February 2010 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Shad
Rank
Joined  2010-02-11

2007 i started fishing alone in tournaments. no partners except for acouple tournaments. ive never fished better. concentrated better. fished harder. learned more and it made me be more effecient on the water on learning how to make it count when it needed it to.  lost the points race that year by 2 points! aint that sum Poo Poo! fishing by myself! and in 09 i finished 8th an had to miss one tournament cause of work. won the first one of the year. with only 4 fish…13.60lbs. that was cool. but i did qualify for the regional and classic both fishing alone. so i was prety proud of that.

Posted: 15 February 2010 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-30
derek spiller - 16 February 2010 01:21 AM

anyone have any tips for kentucky lake for the beginning of may?

My guess, is that theyll be a nice wave spawning. Theyll be a full moon april 28th. If the water is closer to 70, look for shad, theyll probably be spawning. Riprap early in the morning. Theres a guide named Dave Stewart who always has a nice fishing report that i always check up on, he updates it regularly. It’s on fishin.com, some of the best info you can get on KY lake.

Signature 

1 of 2