Jerkbait tips?
Posted: 07 April 2010 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1059
Joined  2008-02-02

So I just picked up a few x raps a week or so ago and have been practicing with them trying to get the hang of how to fish them. I’ve caught a few fish with them, but just wondered if you guys had any tips on fishing them?

Posted: 07 April 2010 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  680
Joined  2009-01-14

If you dont feel they are getting down deep enough for you get yourself some lead tape or suspend dots.

Other the that jerk jerk pause count to 20 jerk jerk pause count to 30 and so on. I love but hate jerkbaits this time of year especially when your counting to 100 inbetween jerks!!

Signature 

KNUCK KNUCK KNUCK

Posted: 07 April 2010 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1703
Joined  2009-07-07

One tip I can offer is try to vary the length of the pause between you twitch the bait. Sometimes a long pause is the way to go, and other times a more aggressive retrieve will be the ticket. Just be aware of how you are working the bait when you are getting bites.

Signature 

Hope you catch your biggest bass ever on your next fishing trip.

Posted: 07 April 2010 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2095
Joined  2008-04-08

I know this saying gets used a lot but it makes sense - ‘let the fish tell you what they want’.

Vary your pause lengths from virtually none to like a minute or longer (counting to a hundred as mentioned before).

Once you get a fish, mimic the twitch/pause ratio and establish your pattern.

Signature 

My wife is my favorite fishing partner.

Posted: 07 April 2010 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3199
Joined  2007-03-17

Vary your jerk to pause sequence try jerking/twitching once, then twice then three times and vary the pause.  Cold water pause longer and warmer water use shorter pauses.  Also when jerking the bait start with your rod tip pointed at the bait and sharply jerk then return the rod back to pointing at the bait throwing a little slack in the line this will cause the bait to dart more side to side and if you see a fish following the bait but will not commit use a sharp jerk and throw slack back at the bait causing it turn 180 degrees to face the fish they can’t stand that and will attack.

Signature 

Eat Sleep and Fish Skeeter

Posted: 22 April 2010 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2009-06-01

Since they are still working quite well up this way. I like working them fast with short pauses just trying to get a reaction bite I love jerkbait hits. I prefer mono and a 6 1/2 foot medium action spinning rod for somereson i seem to land more with that set up. I have been using really bright colors. Look at the post in the fishing stories section I put up today.

Signature 

Versatility is the name of the game

Justin T Douglas

Posted: 23 April 2010 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1051
Joined  2009-04-29

I caught my one fish with a super slow retrieve and a few twitches between retrieves, this year i havent had much luck with just twitchin it…even tho ur supposed to twitch it and let it rest…I dunno, if I catch fish I’ll keep doin what I was doin

Signature 

Posted: 27 April 2010 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2010-03-06

i dont know how you guys can wait that long lol. after about 10 seconds, i get bored and have to start twitching again. thats probably why i only catch bass on them after the water gets above 45 deg