Ugh, that first cold spell in the fall sucks.
Posted: 29 October 2010 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1989
Joined  2009-02-17

It’s only been getting up to the 40s for highs(with stupid strong winds) here lately & man do I hate the cool off in the fall. It’s soo much nicer in the spring when you’re used to those cold temps & then when it starts breaking 40, you’re ready to hit the water… If it’s open yet, that is.  tongue laugh It’s supposed to get up around 60 the next couple days & stay in the 50s for the extended forecast, so I should be able to get in some more trips before the inevitable happens. I’m really starting to dread the end of the fishing season, which I think is in sight.

Signature 

Posted: 29 October 2010 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  680
Joined  2009-01-14

For me I’ll take the Fall over Spring anyday!!

What kind of water temps are you getting….. what kind of structure are you fishing, do you still have good weed’s…..river ,lake?

Signature 

KNUCK KNUCK KNUCK

Posted: 29 October 2010 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2091
Joined  2008-04-08

Woke up this morning to a balmy 29 degrees (just outside of St. Louis). Heather and I plan on heading out tomorrow for another crappie/bluegill excursion. Hope it’s warmer tomorrow morning… big surprise

Signature 

My wife is my favorite fishing partner.

Posted: 29 October 2010 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2010-09-10

I love the Fall and feel I catch my biggest fish this time of the year. In the 40s here. Im also an ice fisherman so the fun is just beginning!!! Don’t stop, fish all year round!!!

Posted: 30 October 2010 12:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1703
Joined  2009-07-07

I know how you feel KCL’s users name The weather has been really crappy here too. I haven’t fished since Monday. I’ll try to get out tomorrow. I hate the feeling of another bass season grinding down. Fall can be an exciting time to fish, but I hate the fact that winter is so close. I ice fish all winter long, and feel it isn’t any kind of substitute for bass fishing. Don’t get me wrong, I do like ice fishing, but it’s just not the same.

Signature 

Hope you catch your biggest bass ever on your next fishing trip.

Posted: 30 October 2010 12:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-17
riverfisher - 29 October 2010 06:06 PM

For me I’ll take the Fall over Spring anyday!!

What kind of water temps are you getting….. what kind of structure are you fishing, do you still have good weed’s…..river ,lake?

I don’t have a temp gauge, but I’m betting it’s pretty cold, considering how cold I got when I went a step too deep to land a fish a couple weeks ago & that was before several day/nights of 40/25. Not that much weeds left from what I saw today, but the water was moving on the pond with the winds 15-20 with gusts of over 30, so it was kind of hard to tell just how much is left. I’ve been fishing lipless & spinnerbaits on whatever shore the wind is blowing on & expand from there, covering water. Seems to be an all or nothing type thing, as I’ll kill them sometimes & other times I’m just practicing casting & picking weeds off my bait. Hopefully I can get in a couple good days before it turns to snow/ice & tomorrow looks promising & I’ll be hitting it hard tomorrow.

I really wish I could will myself into some ice fishing, since fish pulled up through the ice are simply yummy, but I’ve become such a wuss in terms of dealing with the cold ever since I froze my nads off a couple Black Fridays ago waiting 6 hours for a TV, I can’t convince myself to do it. I know you can get stuff to fish in comfort, but I just can’t convince myself to spend the dough for it & then have to lug all of it out every time I go fishing.

Signature 

Posted: 30 October 2010 06:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2010-09-10

It’s all about having the right equipment with icefishing. I know it’s an acquired taste but it makes the winter enjoyable. Find an icefishing buddie and you’ll be surprised. Where you located? I’m in Northern Indiana. Lots of ice fishing in our area.

Posted: 30 October 2010 11:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1703
Joined  2009-07-07

I got out this morning for a little while before work. It was in the mid to low 40’s, and windy. My hands got really cold, but I managed to catch three bass before I had to get off the lake. I caught two descent bass on a Chartreuse Baitfish colored Red Eye Shad, a short bass on a square bill crankbait.

Here is a pic of the biggest one I caught

Signature 

Hope you catch your biggest bass ever on your next fishing trip.

Posted: 31 October 2010 12:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-17

Nice fish bassfish. I went out today & so much for the meteorologist & the lower winds today. It was blowing about the same as yesterday, although the gusts weren’t quite as high. Couldn’t get them on lipless or spinnerbaits again, had one bite on a drop shot, but he pulled off & took my worm with him. I need to work on reeling & pulling when fishing a drop shot, as I think I’m yanking it away from them a lot of times when I just go for a quick little jerk. I really hate fishing plastics in the gusty wind, so hard to see your line & easy to miss bites with the wind blowing your line & rod around. The bite I got on the drop shot, the line was about 10-15’ to the left of where I was working the bait before I realized there was a pick-up & run with it, probably contributed to the miss. Weather is looking decent for the next week, so hopefully I can get out there & catch some fish one of these days.

Signature 

‹‹ Fishing submerged stumps      How to ››