1 of 2
New Addition to the family
Posted: 31 October 2010 03:38 AM   [ Ignore ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1051
Joined  2009-04-29

Got it to day and used for for a little bit, This rod is WOW I can feel every grain of dirt from this thing. I highly recommend it if anyone is thinking about these rods. +1 for abu garcia. I have a Vandetta and it’s great as well but this thing is definately better. It weighs nothing too. I am waiting for my Cabelas 50 dollar gift card to come in the mail so I can get my Pfleuger Patriarch carbon fiber spinning reel to match it. This is my new finesse set up

Signature 

Posted: 31 October 2010 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3416
Joined  2008-11-12

Very nice Allstar! I think I am going to get one of these for a flipping/pitching rod.

Signature 

Does sleeping with the fishes equate to basstiality? LOL LOL LOL

Posted: 31 October 2010 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2010-05-26

Congrats, my brother still has his eye on one. Its only a matter of time till he breaks down and gets one.

Signature 

Posted: 31 October 2010 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1056
Joined  2010-07-26

I’ve been looking at this rod as well. I’m a big Abu Garcia fan.  It’s great to hear from someone who has used one. You say this is your finesse set up. What length and weight did you get?

Posted: 31 October 2010 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-29

Its a 6 9 med light, it IS the perfect set up for shakey head, tubes, grubs etc love it

Signature 

Posted: 31 October 2010 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1703
Joined  2009-07-07

Nice rod AllStar! I messed with one a BPS the other day, and I think they feel a lot better than a Vendetta. Why are you going to pair it with a Pfleger Patriarch and not a Revo STX?

Signature 

Hope you catch your biggest bass ever on your next fishing trip.

Posted: 31 October 2010 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-07-26
AllStar - 31 October 2010 11:02 PM

Its a 6 9 med light, it IS the perfect set up for shakey head, tubes, grubs etc love it

Allstar, do you flip your finesse plastics or do you cast them? It might just be me but I was thinking about getting one of these rod in 7’ 6” length. I was curious what others use for their finesse rigs.

Posted: 01 November 2010 02:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-29

The revo stx is pretty sweet, but from what I’ve heard, the patriarch has an insane drag system which is critical for what I need, I know the stx probally does to but at a 100 dollar difference the patriarch has all the bells and whistles plus more. When I went to cabelas I put the patriarch on the veretas and it was litereally a perfect match, super light and balanced which is what I am looking for. I think revos are nice and all but Abu Garcias sales reps might be drunk at a price of 250 bones. It’s the first gen of a revo spincast so I’ll choose not to be the guinea pig on this one. Not to mention my cabelas has the patriarch for 150 which i think it’s supposed to be 200 but hey, if it says 150 thats what I pay! The veretas are sooooooo much lighter than the vandettas. I have a tournament this weekend and i’ll be using this rod a majority of the time so i’ll really get to beat on it.

bassfish* - 31 October 2010 11:19 PM

Nice rod AllStar! I messed with one a BPS the other day, and I think they feel a lot better than a Vendetta. Why are you going to pair it with a Pfleger Patriarch and not a Revo STX?

I mostly flip, but when I’m in new york or erie I drag grubs or tubes. I was using a 7 footer and I like the leverage of a longer rod. I think i’ll be fine with going a bit shorter, it’s more accurate to pitch rather than my 7 footer I think. the 7’ 6 is a big boy for finesse, but I would like to try it for sure. I think it’ll be fine for flipping around docks and stuff, but I’ll be fishing New York next year because I’m doing BASS weekend series new york west and FLW (which moved to NY so no more tidal waters :-( ..........) I’ll let you know for sure though. I like the 7’ 6 though.

DDaniel - 31 October 2010 11:29 PM
AllStar - 31 October 2010 11:02 PM

Allstar, do you flip your finesse plastics or do you cast them? It might just be me but I was thinking about getting one of these rod in 7’ 6” length. I was curious what others use for their finesse rigs.

Signature 

Posted: 01 November 2010 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1989
Joined  2009-02-17

With Abu & Pflueger I don’t think there’s much of a difference between the two anymore, other than the brand label. Abu brought over the UBS from the Patriarch for the STX & Premiers and you’re not telling me the Patriarch XT didn’t borrow over a lot of stuff from the Premier to get down under 7 ounces. I’ve used both & they’re quality brands & Pure’s CS is amazing considering how massive the company is, so I don’t think you can go wrong with either. The Patriarch spinning reels look awesome, I was thinking about one, but I’m going with the Premier due to the nanotech sounding like it’ll be more solid than the magnesium the Patriarch uses. I’m betting they’re both extremely high quality reels that compete very well with any of the Daiwa or Shimano reels in the same price range.

Signature 

Posted: 01 November 2010 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

Bet that would be a good topwater rod, maybe for some new white frogs??

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 01 November 2010 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-29
BBK - 01 November 2010 04:59 PM

Bet that would be a good topwater rod, maybe for some new white frogs??

Haha this noodle rod won’t handle froggin, but I will be Using those frogs on my 7 foot heavy fast tip bionic blade for sure

Signature 

Posted: 01 November 2010 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-27

I know people that swear by short and light rods for topwater poppers/ walk-da-dog baits.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 01 November 2010 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-27

Your frogs are made, they have to cure tonight then I will ship them out. Hopefully you can use them yet this season.

Signature 

Posted: 02 November 2010 12:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-29

I have my tournament this saturday, I’ll be throwing a frog, but if they wont get here by then (no rush) I’ll find a use for them. from the pics I seen i dont want to “waste” any on fun fish grin

Signature 

Posted: 07 November 2010 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-29

I didn’t buy the Patriarch, I ended up with the Supreme (which looks almost identical, but without the carbon spool and the patriarch is >1 oz heavier) but I still have my carbon handle and uses the same drag system and boy this thing is sick. I so happy with my purchase, I fished yesterday and hooked into a 3 lber and it handled that fish so well, the drag was stable and the rod was perfect. I will defiantely be buying more varettas in the future

Signature 

Posted: 07 November 2010 07:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-07-26

Thanks for the input Allstar.  You’ve increased my desire to get one even more now.  Now I just have to convince my wife that I NEED another rod and reel.  LOL!!

1 of 2