Humminbird vs Lowrance - Yes another one of these posts
Posted: 08 February 2011 11:59 PM   [ Ignore ]
Crappie
RankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2008-06-18

Hey all. My question today is a very common one. Humminbird or Lowrance?

I’ve read and searched for hours on this topic and I hope my decision will be clear within this or the next thread I make. I’ve seen many people who give

their depthfinder of choice a thumbs up, but I really can’t make a decision based on their opinion because they don’t have a comparable unit from the

other manufacturer. I’m looking for advice from people who have experience with both companies’ units with the current technology of 2010-11.

Here are some things for me to consider:

I have no previous sonar experience so I am unbiased.

I might be able to get a better deal on one or the other; probably Lowrance.

I understand Lowrance has crisper image on the screen, but what good would it be if it doesn’t scan as well as Humminbird. Is the technology as far as

‘finding fish’ goes, equal?

I tournament fish a lot and I have NO PROBLEM whatsoever with a complex unit and a large learning curve. I don’t need Humminbird’s user friendliness

if/when I could be better off learning the ins and outs of a Lowrance with more features.

I’ve also heard of the ‘horror’ stories of Lowrance’s customer service, but it seems to be common that people say they haven’t had any problems with their

service, and that it’s been improving greatly over the past months. I’m not sure if this is something to be worried about - if it truly was, I would go

with a Humminbird solely for that reason.

I’ve also read that Lowrance becomes cheaper when more than one unit is used on a boat. I definitely don’t want to ignore this factor as I may end up

getting another one next year or possibly sooner.

How about power and processor speed? I don’t want to be shorted on refresh rate going with one brand and have lag of the screen - not even sure if this is

an issue or not.

What other questions should I be asking?

I’m basically looking at the HDS-8 vs 998 and the HDS-10 vs 1198.

If I come to the conclusion that both are more or less equal and it really doesn’t matter which I have at the end of the day, the main factor (already a

large one) will become price. I may be able to get a better deal on Lowrance electronics or vice-versa (probably Lowrance).

Thanks in advance for your help,

Julien

Posted: 09 February 2011 07:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04

Take a look at this thread. It may help you out with some of your questions.
http://www.thebassholes.com/bassin-forums/index.php?topic=30399.0

To my knowledge, Lowrance has addressed the issues with the processors and the problem with bad water seals. From what I hear that was an issue with early units only.
My brother runs the HDS8 on his boat, he has told me its a lot more user friendly then the previous LCX models.

I have a 797SI, and I like its functionality, but the 5” screen is too hard to see in direct sunlight. Im running this for SI use only. I have a Lowrance LCX113 and 37 for my GPS/sonar. Im making the move myself to upgrade to either a HDS8 or the 997SI. Right now I’m leaning towards the HDS8 so I can network it with my other units.

Signature 

Posted: 11 February 2011 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1832
Joined  2008-03-25

I have run lowrance for a long time. I cant comment on their cs becuase I havnt needed to use it

Signature 

when in doubt swing it

Posted: 20 February 2011 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1329
Joined  2008-04-06

I had the old LCX series and it only worked every other day ! I am not kidding here….literally I’d fish Monday and it would be great…come out Tuesday and it would not turn on. Wednesday though…perfect ! It was bizzarre.
I complained and because it was under warranty (2 year warranty for units that come on Ranger Boats !!), they sent me a BRAND NEW HDS-8 Insight unit. Wow…is this nice.
No more problems. Unit runs like a champ and is it ever nice.  Combine it with the High Definition 3D Insight chip ($200 !!....ouch) and you have one of the best navigation aids available. It is a wonderful unit.

Signature 

“Is this Heaven ?....no it’s Minnesota.  That’s funny, I could have sworn it was Heaven”

Posted: 20 February 2011 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1056
Joined  2010-07-26

I’m very glad this thread was posted. I’m about to buy a new unit and I was really leaning towards the HB because I thought it was the better unit. I really didn’t think the HDS would or could be better.

But then there were some other comments in here that got me to thinking. I have an LMS 522 on the console now that I will be moving up to the bow. If I get the HDS, I can link them. If I bought the HB unit, I wouldn’t be able to do that.

There are also comments about the visibility of the screen in sun light.

So it sounds as though the HDS unit would be better for me and my situation.

Thanks for the post and the comments. Of course you guys realize that if this doesn’t work out, it will be all of your faults, right?

Posted: 20 February 2011 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2008-06-18

It seems like the war between these two units is pretty evenly matched, but I’m still leaning toward HB

Posted: 20 February 2011 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1056
Joined  2010-07-26

If I didn’t already have the LMS 522, I would get the HB 977.  But now that I know that I can hook them up I’m going to go with the HDS.

Posted: 20 February 2011 10:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1329
Joined  2008-04-06

I am telling you I LOVE my HDS.
I use GPS (well actually INS, not GPS if you want to get really specific here) and weather radar every day at work, so I know the “ins and outs” of the gear. This unit has outstanding performance.
My old LCX 38 was awful, but these are as dependable as can be (I have two HDS-8 units). Get the high definition Insight chips too….wow, good stuff.

Signature 

“Is this Heaven ?....no it’s Minnesota.  That’s funny, I could have sworn it was Heaven”

Posted: 22 February 2011 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04
AAav8or - 20 February 2011 10:36 PM

I am telling you I LOVE my HDS.
I use GPS (well actually INS, not GPS if you want to get really specific here) and weather radar every day at work, so I know the “ins and outs” of the gear. This unit has outstanding performance.
My old LCX 38 was awful, but these are as dependable as can be (I have two HDS-8 units). Get the high definition Insight chips too….wow, good stuff.

You must have had a bad unit. Neither of my LCX units have given me any problems. I have the 113 and the 37 and my brother used two 38’s. Between the two of us we spend over 200 days a year on the water without any issues. Good to hear Lowrance took care of the problem though.

Signature 

Posted: 22 February 2011 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1051
Joined  2009-04-29

my buddy has a HDS8 and it’s a sick unit. As for lowrance vs humminbird, I have zero experiance with either (never owed a boat)

Signature 

Posted: 22 February 2011 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Shad
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2008-02-06

The difference is so small that you really need to play with both units. Head to a Bass Pro Shops (or another store that has both) and try them out. I have been with Lowrance too long to try anything else….but then again so was KVD. For what its worth I run an HDS8 with Structure Scan, Sirius Satellite weather and radio on the console and a LCX28cHD on the bow. Both units are networked via NMEA2000 and Ethernet and both units have Navionics mapping on them. I love it!!!

I do know some people that hate the menu structures on one compared to the other. SO go try them out, see whats easier for you.